Okay the title explains it, I need a bass. I'm officially/unofficially in a band a few don't have a bass player, and well I have been kind of selected bass player. I am think of a bass between $200-400. Will that buy a descent bass? Also I would need an amp, or should I buy a starting pack with a small amp?
don't spend less than 150 bucks man. and make sure you have the right kind for your style. If you want slap, don't get a eb-o, if you like jaco, a j bass is a good idea. but i'll give a rundown of good stuff for a good price for the 2 main sounds.
smoothasbutter
gibson eb-3
fender or squier p-bass
gibson or epiphone thunderbird

growlinglikeawoman
fender or squier j-bass

abletodoboth
ibanez gsr200fm
squier mb-4

whatever you do, don't pay too much. it's your first bass. dont spend 600 bucks on it(though you seem to have recieved that memo already). dont buy it because it looks good- if you wanna look good onstage, get bono glasses or something. don't go fretless. it takes enough time to figure it out with no frets. make sure you have a good amp.

don't buy a dean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well i was gonna say get a Warwick or a Lakland but not with that budget. Maybe a Yamaha?
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Fender P- Bass looks to be a pretty versatile bass, I mean, I see lots of bassists use them in bands.

However, if I were you, get a nice bass amp, and borrow a bass from someone. Its alot easier to borrow a guitar than an amp IMO.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra