everyone says that ss amps sound bad when turned up.....about 4 minutes ago i was fooling around with my amp, and since im home alone today i turned the level to 6 and the master to 7 1/2 .....and it basically sounded the same.....just much louder.....my amp is 120 ss watts........anyone agree?......or disagree and say ss sounds like monkey balls when its loud?
ive heard people use that set up live and they used a metal zone infront of the behringer for distortion and it sounded decent to me at stage volumes
My Cube 60 only sounds good when the volumes at around 3-5 which is far too loud for bedroom use. I've never gone above 6 even for gigging. Below 2 which I consider bedroom use it's a bit crap which is annoying because I thought SS's were good at bedroom use.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
'Everyone' says that because SS amps don't improve with volume, like tube amps do.

Also, if you would have turned the amp up far enough to have it overdrive, you would have noticed it sounds like shit, worse than at low volumes.
Not that it sounds bad loud, but that it will sound bad when maxed out or close to it. When you start getting that harsh, unattractive SS clipping. A tube amp, OTOH, will often sound it's best dimed.

No one's home? Crank the master and volume up to 10 and tell us what you think.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I've never heard that ss amps don't sound good loud. The opposite is true, tube amps don't sound as good quiet, because there isn't enough power to overdrive the tubes and give you that great distortion. Because ss amps aren't depending on tubes, they should sound pretty much the same at high and low volumes. That is why ss amps are known as sounding good quiet. Not that they don't sound good loud, but that at low volumes they sound better than tube amps.
Quote by lechero
I've never heard that ss amps don't sound good loud. The opposite is true, tube amps don't sound as good quiet, because there isn't enough power to overdrive the tubes and give you that great distortion. Because ss amps aren't depending on tubes, they should sound pretty much the same at high and low volumes. That is why ss amps are known as sounding good quiet. Not that they don't sound good loud, but that at low volumes they sound better than tube amps.

Most tube amps sound better than most solid state amps at low volumes. The difference between the two is, tube amps just keep getting better as you turn the volume up. The different between tube distortion and solid state distortion is that tube distortion compresses the sound wave, whereas solid state amplifiers just clip it off, which sounds incredibly cold and harsh. This is why solid state amps sound terrible when pushed.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 13, 2007,