2 tone
16 29%
Ska Punk
29 53%
Ska Sucks!
2 4%
Voters: 55.
Page 1 of 2
The music genre of ska is divided into three waves. The original Jamaican wave. The 2 tone mostly British wave. And the Ska punk wave. My fave would probably be the 2 tone wave, which is stuff like The Beat and Madness. I do like Ska punk a lot though, especially stuff like The Toasters, but they sound like 2 tone to me anyway.
I'm prepared for flaming, but in all honestly I prefer the third wave.

Third > Second > First For me anyway.
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
I LOVE IT ALL! But if i had to pick i's say two tone aswell.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
As much as I love the first wave, bands like The Skatalites and The Wailers are classics, however I started out listening to second wave stuff like The Specials and Madness so I'm going to have to go with them.
First and second, I can't choose between 'em.
I love the energy of The Specials but then you gotta love the old school sound of Toots and the Maytals.
Not into much third wave, unless Op Ivy counts.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
They are all so great

I love Madness and Bad manners

Its close between 2 and 3

Mainly cuz i havent heard much first wave only Symarip and Toots and the Maytals
Quote by waterproofpie
Sometimes people say they don't like Operation Ivy. Those people are what we call liars.

UG's Premiere Dancelete
I love all three equally, but I guess I have to go for third wave just because of Op Ivy. If not for them, I'd probably go for first or second, but Op Ivy were just so good.
I really like Third Wave ska, such as the Slackers, and Original first Wave ska.

*shudder* at the fact that the majority of votes are for Ska Punk, ugh.
"They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion." - Ginger Baker

Quote by alexlemon2
I've been here long enough, and nobody knows who teh fudge I am

I cry at night
I like a lot of the modern day ska bands which incorporate some old school roots i.e. The Slackers.

Its hard to decide which wave is my personnal favorite. It really depends on my mood most of the time. Depending on how I feel I could go for any wave. But aside from that I usually lean towards third wave because of Operation Ivy and a lot of Rancid music that uses organ/keyboard, clean rhythms, and a folk style of singing and songwriting.
2nd>3rd>1st for me, but its a hard choice between 2-tone and ska-punk for first place. and original ska comes last with me simply because i aint heard much of it
L E T S G O F U C K I N C R A Z Y ! ! ! !

I like 3rd the most but I still like 2nd and 3rd wave stuff.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Second wave, but I do enjoy going to third wave shows.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
i...i can't decide.......so i voted ska sucks
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
probably first is my favorite. then third, just cause i like to keep up a little with what's goin on today, and seeing first wave bands live isn't usually an option, aside from the odd still touring band(toots and the maytals). second wave is ok, but i kinda see it as the poppy new wave kinda thing (this comment excludes the specials and earlier madness, and is aimed more at bands like the selector, and the english beat). when i say third wave though, i mean good third wave bands, which usually sound closer to first and second wave bands ie. west bound train, the slackers, the aggrolites, operation ivy, and streetlight to name a few.
Quote by hardrock1315
Hell yes.

Good stuff man. Check out Westbound Train if you haven't heard them.
two tone, but all of them rule. i ain't voting...
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
i think ska punk, i go to loads of them shows.

What would the specials be considered I've been wondering.

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.
Quote by TlM ARMSTRONG
Anyone here listen to any Aggrolites??

they are great one of my favorite bands
Quote by waterproofpie
Sometimes people say they don't like Operation Ivy. Those people are what we call liars.

UG's Premiere Dancelete
Quote by stagasarus8
they are great one of my favorite bands

Good to hear good to hear. Great guys the Aggrolites.
Quote by TlM ARMSTRONG
Thats awesome. Where did you see them?

I saw them at Summer of Ska 2006 at the Crazy Donkey in Farmingdale, NY.
ska core for me... but I absolutely love the specials, the skatalites, toots, and the english beat
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
so like....NO CASH....

is another name for ska core, riot ska?
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

^how would anyone ever guess that I like no cash? Seriously...

Im really getting into evil empire now, and Im seeing agents of change on sunday, Im excited to say teh least
Quote by doggy_hat
love both those bands...never seen the agents of change though...

i got evil empire's old demo but not does this genocide make me look sexy? i want that one.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

does this genocide make me look sexy is possibly one of the only albums I will say is better than run your pockets
Quote by doggy_hat
...I got the demo which is like those songs on it, but just crappier....it's called evil empire sucks.

where is the aoc show at?
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Last edited by mike2 at Feb 14, 2007,
I'd have to say Original Ska (1st Wave) is the best kind of ska.
Now, when I say that, I mean by the style, not the years.
Bands like The Slackers, Westbound Train, and Hepcat are my favorite.
(Even though those bands mix a lot of jazz, blues, and funk elements into their music)

The Second Wave of ska had one of the greatest bands ever (The Specials), but in the middle of that was a lot of trashy 'quick buck', bandwaggoning acts. 2-Tone is a record label... not a 'wave' - FYI. Although anything off of that label is almost guaranteed to be 'pretty good'.

Ska Punk is mostly a disgrace to ska. You have to sift through a lot of rubbish to find a decent band.

P.S.
The Aggrolites play a mean reggae... but no ska.
They're easily in my top 5 bands, though.

P.P.S.
Hellcat Records is one of the consistently best record labels for ska, and reggae. You've got Hepcat, The Pietasters, The Slackers, and The Aggrolites - all of which are the best acts around today.
Circle that A, motherfucker!
Quote by Warm-And-Fuzzy
2-Tone is a record label... not a 'wave' - FYI. .

The 2nd wave of ska is often refered to as the 2-Tone era.
Quote by Warm-And-Fuzzy
P.S.
The Aggrolites play a mean reggae... but no ska.
They're easily in my top 5 bands, though.

P.P.S.
Hellcat Records is one of the consistently best record labels for ska, and reggae. You've got Hepcat, The Pietasters, The Slackers, and The Aggrolites - all of which are the best acts around today.

the aggrolites are technically a reggae band, but i think they are still relevant in this discussion because they are ****ing sweet, and hellcat does have some good bands on it. So does asian man records, moon ska records, skaville, mojo records, jump up! records, and many more that i'm failing to remember.
my friend who is friends with the former drummer of slapstick said that if we get this band started we can get signed to asian man....not sure how much truth there is to this, my friend just called me like two hours ago...thing is that we aren't doing ska...i know asian man doesn't only have ska, but most is ska...o well, just venting.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Page 1 of 2