Hi.
I'm looking for a new softer tone to my playing. I have played a long time with GNR/Slash sound, but I want a tone nearer to Vai or Satriani. A shred tone?
Anyway, a softer tone.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Firebrand with a Seymour Duncan Alnico II pro inbridge position. This gives me a GNR type of sound. But my neck pickup is much softer, and more "bassy".
I also have a tube amp, Marshall that is. Don't know what kind, but it's old, it's a combo and it's 50 Watts.
For distortion I use a Digitech Distortion Factory DF-7, which I guess is pretty good, but I 'm not able to get just the right tone. In addition I got a compressor.
The DF-7 has seven different distortions, like the Ibanez TS9, DOD® Overdrive/Preamp 250, Boss® DS-1™, Pro Co Rat™, Boss® Metal Zone®, DigiTech® Metal Master™ and EH® Big Muff® pi.
Currently I'm using the DigiTech Metal Master for distortion.

On my amp I have these controls:
-Presence (what is this btw?)
-Bass
-Middle
-Treble
-Master
-Pre Amp (what ?)

In addition I have a lot of controls on my DS-7:
-Level
-Low
-Mid Freq.
-Mid
-High
-Gain

So basically, I wonder if anyone can suggest some settings for me?
I can't seem to find the right sound. So if some of you guys could suggest some values for each of these settings I'd be very pleased.

Thank you very much, Mats
Ditch the digitech and get a nice overdrive pedal - or in the meantime use the TS9 setting. Have your bass high enough to add a little warmth, mids and treble both fairly high.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
these are the settings he gives on his official web site

Clean Channel Settings #1
Reverb 0
Treble 9
Mid 5
Bass 3

Clean Channel Settings #2
Reverb 0
Treble 8
Mid 4 ½
Bass 4

Lead Channel Settings #1
Presence 6
Treble 6
Mid 8
Bass 7 ½
Drive 9

Lead Channel Settings #2
Presence 6 ½
Treble 6 ½
Mid 6
Bass 7 ½
Drive 8

Lead Channel Settings #3
Presence 6
Treble 6
Mid 6
Bass 7
Drive 8

Lead Channel Settings #4
Presence 6
Treble 6
Mid 7
Bass 7 ½
Drive 8
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
The Legacy has a very unique tone. You wont get his sound without it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Figure out what kind of amp you have. If its 50 watts, all tube, old, and its a Marshall, you may have something special and you don't know it.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by steven seagull
Ditch the digitech and get a nice overdrive pedal - or in the meantime use the TS9 setting. Have your bass high enough to add a little warmth, mids and treble both fairly high.

I thought distortion was the shit for shredding/guitarplaying?
With only the TS9 setting/overdrive I can't get no power, and far away from the sound I want

Any other thoughts about the Distortion?
I also have a Behringer UM100, but it's not that commonly used, as the digitech is brand new.
Quote by 2112swartz
these are the settings he gives on his official web site

Clean Channel Settings #1
Reverb 0
Treble 9
Mid 5
Bass 3

Clean Channel Settings #2
Reverb 0
Treble 8
Mid 4 ½
Bass 4

Lead Channel Settings #1
Presence 6
Treble 6
Mid 8
Bass 7 ½
Drive 9

Lead Channel Settings #2
Presence 6 ½
Treble 6 ½
Mid 6
Bass 7 ½
Drive 8

Lead Channel Settings #3
Presence 6
Treble 6
Mid 6
Bass 7
Drive 8

Lead Channel Settings #4
Presence 6
Treble 6
Mid 7
Bass 7 ½
Drive 8

This helps a bit, but should the settings be the same on the distortion pedal as on the amp?

This is a bit frustrating, my tone is to harsh, and/or fuzzy
vai uses boss ds-1
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
Quote by The_Clap
vai uses boss ds-1

Thats modded to hell.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by The_Clap
vai uses boss ds-1

As a boost for his Legacy, which you'll need to get his tone.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
He uses a modded TS-9, modded DS-1, Bad Horsie wah, TC ELectronics G Major, and a sig OD coming out called the "jemini" as well as obviously a Carvin legacy and Jem with Evos / Evo2s / Breeds.

Oh yeah, thw Fernandez sustainer thingy too.

You want to sound like Vai, buy that lot and practice till your fingers fall off.

Failing that, sell your guitar on ebay and kill yourself because you're shit.

Or so John Petrucci tells me.
Man Vai has a sick tone.....but I think no matter how much you go after his tone you will never get it unless your Vai.....i was thinking about getting the Legacy too. I hope its worth the cash
Quote by ^Aquila^
He uses a modded TS-9, modded DS-1, Bad Horsie wah, TC ELectronics G Major, and a sig OD coming out called the "jemini" as well as obviously a Carvin legacy and Jem with Evos / Evo2s / Breeds.

Oh yeah, thw Fernandez sustainer thingy too.

You want to sound like Vai, buy that lot and practice till your fingers fall off.

Failing that, sell your guitar on ebay and kill yourself because you're shit.

Or so John Petrucci tells me.

hehe, that video is great^^
Quote by torchwood
Man Vai has a sick tone.....but I think no matter how much you go after his tone you will never get it unless your Vai.....i was thinking about getting the Legacy too. I hope its worth the cash

I don't want exactly his tone. I want a "vai-ish" sort of tone. More like him. I'm against copying other guitarist fully. But i need to start somewhere.

So if anyone got any ideas for a soft tone, but at the same time with power?
Can I use my distortion pedal for this?
Or I'm I "doomed" to sound like slash untill i buy myself crazy equipment?
Quote by Matsols
-Presence (what is this btw?)

Presence is the highest freq. range, something like 2k+ hZ.

So basically, I wonder if anyone can suggest some settings for me?
I can't seem to find the right sound. So if some of you guys could suggest some values for each of these settings I'd be very pleased.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294480
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
What's this about the Legacy all the time. He didn't even use it until recently. All his famous tracks were made using, well, god knows what really. On Passion and Warfare, for example, he used at least 11 different amps.
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
Quote by Kris_man
What's this about the Legacy all the time. He didn't even use it until recently. All his famous tracks were made using, well, god knows what really. On Passion and Warfare, for example, he used at least 11 different amps.

Mmmm, I find his Legacy tones kinda... crap. His best tones IMO were with the Bogner (Tender Surrender for one).
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
Mmmm, I find his Legacy tones kinda... crap. His best tones IMO were with the Bogner (Tender Surrender for one).

I don't like his tone at all. Kind of shrill and artificial for my tastes. But from what I know, he uses a legacy and Keeley modified Ds-1s.
Quote by xifr

yes it's more of a Bogner... and an Uberschall... (I think)
Quote by xifr
Presence is the highest freq. range, something like 2k+ hZ.

Ah thanks.
So with this on a low value, I can have my treble and high settings high without getting those cutting peaks?
His DS-1 isn't modded. I wish everyone would stop claiming it is.
Quote by Archeo Avis
His DS-1 isn't modded. I wish everyone would stop claiming it is.

Yeah, and all that shit on Keeley's website about Vai loving his Modified DS-1s is just a marketing gimmick.
Buy an overdrive pedal (Boss DS-1 or a nice Tubescreamer if you have the dough), and you're set. DON'T use your Metal Master. It's good for metal, not Vai. If you want crystal clear warm tone, either use a nice warm pedal, or use a tube amp and the amp's natural distortion. But it's really not hard to get something like Vai's tone. Just fool around a bit. It obviously wont be the same, but that can be a good thing too! I actually got a decent Eric Johnson tone using only a Dan Electro Daddy-O and an Ibanez Tubescreamer. The trick to getting a warm tone is to use the Tubescreamer to boost your pickups signal by cranking the pedals volume, and putting the gain to around 2 (very low), and roll its tone nob up for some treble, and roll some treble off your power amp, and you'll get a creamy, yet responsive tone. One thing you should worry about is having alot of hum and noise (that's why it's a must for any guitarist to own a noise supressor). Also, make sure you can somewhat play like Vai. I've once made a Squier through a $100 Crate sound like him without even fiddling with the eq (btw, it had humbuckers).
Originally posted by TheCurious Mime
Is it true that peter parker shows his butt in the next spiderman movie?
Quote by TehJermie
Yeah, and all that shit on Keeley's website about Vai loving his Modified DS-1s is just a marketing gimmick.

Because he used one years ago
And generally when you see a company raving about artists that use their products...yes, it's a marketing gimmick.
Quote by PetrucciRocks
Buy an overdrive pedal (Boss DS-1 or a nice Tubescreamer if you have the dough), and you're set. DON'T use your Metal Master. It's good for metal, not Vai. If you want crystal clear warm tone, either use a nice warm pedal, or use a tube amp and the amp's natural distortion. But it's really not hard to get something like Vai's tone. Just fool around a bit. It obviously wont be the same, but that can be a good thing too! I actually got a decent Eric Johnson tone using only a Dan Electro Daddy-O and an Ibanez Tubescreamer. The trick to getting a warm tone is to use the Tubescreamer to boost your pickups signal by cranking the pedals volume, and putting the gain to around 2 (very low), and roll its tone nob up for some treble, and roll some treble off your power amp, and you'll get a creamy, yet responsive tone. One thing you should worry about is having alot of hum and noise (that's why it's a must for any guitarist to own a noise supressor). Also, make sure you can somewhat play like Vai. I've once made a Squier through a $100 Crate sound like him without even fiddling with the eq (btw, it had humbuckers).

I'm afraid my amp doesn't have a natural overdrive/distortion?
But is the clue here to use overdrive?
I feel that it doesn't provide me with enough power...
well you said you want a Vai/Satch sort of tone, I know that on Satchs Boss DS-1 his settings are 9oclock 5oclock 2oclock. That'll get you started, and for Satch he usually has his bass,mid and treble settings around the 4,5,6,7 area.
Rock on buddy
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Okey, thanks!
9 Oclock = almost full?

THIS HELPED A LOT! Thanks mate!
Last edited by Matsols at Feb 14, 2007,
Would a VOX tonelab provide me with ALL the sounds I want?
A norwegian shop just recevied a number of these.
How are these live? I can see from the picture that there aren't any footswitches, but ?

EDIT:
Is see now that there are different types of this monster.
Well if it has just come the shop, how about trying it out?
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
It's a online shop. but I guess I could find some way to check it out, maybe in one of the local stores!