I'm a guitarist but also played bass on my band's last album, and fell in love with the instrument. A problem though - it wasn't mine. I was borrowing a church's bass. Now I'm thinking about buying one that's cheap but reliable, preferrably under $250...what are some good bass companies for four string electrics?

If this isn't the right place to put it, can someone move it?
Get off my lawn.
Last edited by HawkaLuigi at Feb 13, 2007,
Try Ibanez. I find that they have the best quality basses for the money.
-PLAIDOCASTER
-Ibanez Iceman Bass (Sunburst)
-Nonack Special Mk. II (Blood Red Mahogany/ Natural Binding)
-Fretless Soundgear (Color Shift Purple/Blue/Red/Orange)
-Pearl Export 5 pc. Drumset (Black)
OLP are pretty mint, MM4 i think the one i played played just like a musicman!
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
Squier

The ultimate beginners bass in my opinion
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
What kind of bass was the church's? You might want to get one that replicates the same feel of it.

Squier's Standard Jazz is good and under $250
I got an Ibanez GSR200FM from GC for $200. It's definitly worth it. If you can spend a little more you could get a Peavy Millenium.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Are Peavey Millenium's any good? My friend is cosidering starting and we came across one at Guitar Center and it was cheap, sounded decent and looked cool. Plus it has tons of positive reviews online.
I like the Washburn Taurus. I think they come as four strings, i got mine as a fiver. Very good. Passive, though.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
Quote by __Ronnie__
Are Peavey Millenium's any good? My friend is cosidering starting and we came across one at Guitar Center and it was cheap, sounded decent and looked cool. Plus it has tons of positive reviews online.

It is an extremely good bass for the money. I heartily recommend it.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Ibanez Soundgrear 200 DX FTW
I'm still using it.
so good, unless you slap, then it's average
but finger style wins.
and its built like a tank

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Quote by Ledhead82048
Ibanez GSR-200, definitely one of the best basses for the money, do you need an amp too?

I have a Crate 120W for my guitar that I use for gigs, but I used that amp for the bass on my band's album. Do I really need a new amp for it? If so, what particular companies are good for that? The bass sounded pretty good out of it, and I used a Squier.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
Get off my lawn.
If you continue to use a guitar amp with your bass then it could eventually break. It's not definite but very likely. I suggest a Fender amp. Any Rumble will work nicely.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Almost any Ibanez SoundGears are good.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"