Im looking to buy a new guitar in the near future, and Im stuck between these two. The LP would give better all-round playability, but the JEM is gorgeous, and i love the tree of life inlay.

I tend to play a mixture of styles, so anyone have any idea which would be the best guitar to get?
Well, the JEM is more versatile and you get the tremolo. It's also better for more shreddy and heavy stuff, whereas the LP suits you better if you're more a classic rock guy and don't need tremolo.
if you want a wide range of sounds try the les paul
if you want a hardcore sound I think the JEM is better

on a side not how do you pronounce "les paul" "le-z" or "lay"?
les paul- classic looks, classic sound.

And to Zerowing, its pronounced le-z- and is actually the signature guitar of a guitar player called, you guessed it, les paul. I always find it funny with the gibson signatures like the zakk wylde signature les paul. Its like a signature signature guitar!
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp

It's pronounced Les, after its inventor, Lester Paul.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
I don't think the Jem's that verstile - I always find I'm stuck with Steve Vai's tone, whether I want it or not - you could always swap the pickups though.
(btw, its "leZ", because thats Les Paul's name )
Pretty much completely different guitars. Alder vs. Mahogany, 24 fret vs. 22, Bolt-on vs. Set, Trem vs no trem, you'll have to decide what tone you're going for.

And if you're paying that much for a guitar, what's your amp as of now?
Quote by stevo192
les paul- classic looks, classic sound.

And to Zerowing, its pronounced le-z- and is actually the signature guitar of a guitar player called, you guessed it, les paul. I always find it funny with the gibson signatures like the zakk wylde signature les paul. Its like a signature signature guitar!

That's not really true...

Signature guitars are usually modeled after the guitar that the famous person plays, Les Paul merely had the idea to make an electric solidbody, so it wasn't made to honor him.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
get the JEM. thats all i'm gonna say
The Big Three

RR1 Rhoads, Dean FBD Dimbag Tribute ML (check), Ibanez Bad Horsie JEM

"blacker than the blackest black...times infinity."

"so get your ass checked out before its to late, turkeys!"
Quote by zerowing
if you want a wide range of sounds try the les paul
if you want a hardcore sound I think the JEM is better

It's "lez" paul.
Oh yeah, and definately get the Jem.
The JEM77V will have a wider range of tones than the LP, but won't have that huge fat lead sound that you get with a big chunk of mahogany for a body.
no
What about the Lp, though? you can't get that smooth vai tone, which is very nice. I imagine you can get a Satch tone, too.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Apples or oranges?
Dude there two totally different guitars man...
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
is it really "lez?" i always thought it was pronounced like "less" because you dont pronounce Lester as "Lez-ter," you pronounce it "Less-ter"
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
I think you have damn good taste, Jems and LP's are my two favorite guitars. If I had to pick one I'd say the Jem just because of the versatility they have with the whammy bar and extra pickup. If you do go for the LP I'd highly recommend checking out a Burny. They're Japanese copies that are really nicely made and alot less expensive than a comparable Gibson, plus they make models with a Floyd, something that's really hard to find on a LP-style guitar. These are my babies:

PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Feb 16, 2007,