I'm trying to decide on what gauge to go with for my Gibson V http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/CrossHairSB/guitarVpics013.jpg
Its time for me to hand it over to this luthier I know for a complete set up which includes a new nut. When I mentioned to him that I wanted Zakk Wylde's .060 strings put on there he warned me that it may harm the neck. Anyway I kinda have this idea that I'd like a heavier E,A and D string so when struck by themselves or together they are heavier and more powerful... know what I mean? I can't say I'm a detuner kinda guy and am almost afraid to tell him to set it up at Eb cuz I know I'll prolly have to tune it up to learn some songs. Guess this is all I got for you right now, just could use some help deciding what key to have it set up at and whether or not thicker gauge strings are more suitable for the heavier chugging rock. Thanks for your assistance
Ken
Rules are simple - thicker strings = more tension and fatter tone.

Don't put on ultra-fat strings if you're gonna play in standard. A V usually has a .10 set. Zakk Wylde himself tunes down a half step usually, and will sometimes drop his low E string to G or A or whatever. That explains why it's a .60 guage.
Ya...thick strings = dropped tunings. You can go further with out having floppy strings
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
set it up normal... i have 11's on my LP and can detune to Drop C and back up just fine, with a heavy tone all they way around
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Yea.. heavier strings are generally good for heavy sounding stuff.
Im gonna assume that you are beginning at guitar based on the fact that you can't tune it. in which case you might find 60s tuned to standard E to be a little hard on your fingers.
The guitar should take it no problem with proper truss rod adjustment.

So you can a) suck it up and kill your fingers for a bit
b) get some lighter strings tuned to E
c) tune it down to Eb or even D
I suggest you learn to tune your guitar as soon as possible so you can mess around yourself with what tuning you like them and all.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
if you just want the top three heavy... i went for some earnie ball skinny top heavy bottom and there great for fat heavy rhythen and easy and good sounding solos
You're So Scene Right Now ^_^

Quote by Kensai
Finally his girlfriend found out what it was like giving oral sex to fishsmelling genital organs.
yeah, alot better, try some d'addarios
Quote by Brandon860
hey man, any person with a Wayne's World avatar I have all the faith in the world in

Founder of the "Taco Bell > You" PM me to join.
If you are not detuning, .60 is overkill. IMO thicker strings do improve tone, but there is a point when it isn't worth it because it may become difficult to play. Try using a set with around .50 for the low E. You still get that fat string sound. It isn't too hard to play. They are thick enough to sound good at lower tunings. I don't think he would be worried about that size ruining the guitar. I haven't heard of anyone using a .60 in standard tuning, not even Zakk Wylde.
Thanks for the replies guys, I ended up telling him to set it up using Zakk's .060's-.010's standard tuning. Says right on the pack that Zakk uses these for his standard tunings as well as some drop tunings. Anyway I do not see the problem with having thicker low strings, you don't have to bend them as much as the higher strings you know.
Ken
^ They'll also be harder to press down. You might want your tech to set the action really low.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by MichiganboySB
Thanks for the replies guys, I ended up telling him to set it up using Zakk's .060's-.010's standard tuning. Says right on the pack that Zakk uses these for his standard tunings as well as some drop tunings. Anyway I do not see the problem with having thicker low strings, you don't have to bend them as much as the higher strings you know.
Ken

tard!
Epi Les Pau Quilt topl~Emg 81/85 Ghs 11's(1/2 step drop)
Charvel Model 4 EMG 81/SA/85 DR 10's (standard){for sale}
Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus