Ok, I've been a bassist for four years now, with very little of that spent playing guitar (mostly acoustic). I do know a little, I'm mediocre at fingerpicking, and I mostly just strum out chords. However in light of recent events and a serious lack of musical inspiration I've decided to hang up my bass (more like sell it, for that matter) and full stack, stop playing metal, and start playing acoustic. I know the genre that I want to play, but I don't know what it's called really. I want to write and play stuff like Kaki King (old material), Justin King, and Andy McKee. My biggest problem is finding the acoustic for me at under $500. I don't really have any need for an acoustic electric, as I'll just be doing this to play and compose for myself and my family. I was looking at Ovations, since Kaki used to play them. But I don't know how comfortable I'll be with the round back. Other than that I've considered Larrivees (because of Justin), but I can't find any online stores that carry them, so I don't really know how expensive they are (I assume they're pretty expensive though). So, does anyone have some information on these guitars that they feel would help me? Any other guitars I should look into?
I'd say go ahead and get an ovation they are very nice, i own an acoustic electric ovation and i haven't had any problems with it yet.
An escalator can never break, it can only become temporarily stairs.
agreed. ovation is a very good company for any price range. they really do care about their guitars. i have had mine for about 2 years and id go homeless before i sold that guitar. and i am thinking your going to a folk side. and btw. id save your stack cause if you ever do its easier to get a good bass for less than a good stack.
Quote by LandOfConfusion
i am thinking your going to a folk side. and btw. id save your stack cause if you ever do its easier to get a good bass for less than a good stack.

I'm not really trying to play fol music, more like solo acoustic guitar instrumentals. Lots of tapping, playing rhythms on the body of the guitar, and slapping all at once. Just watch this video to see what I mean.

Also I'm positive that I should sell my stack. If I don't then I won't be able to buy my acoustic. $500 of the stack money goes to the acoustic, the rest goes to a handgun and to get my car fixed. I won't need the stack anymore because I am no longer able to commit to a band scenario. I'm shipping for basic training (Army) in September, after that I'll be going to college and working for the next four years...I just don't foresee myself playing in a band for another 6-10 years.
If ovations aren't your thing look at Mitchells, I just got one and it's nice. It'll only cost ya about $200 - $500. Take a look at acoustic Fender's as well.
An escalator can never break, it can only become temporarily stairs.
^Where can I find some Mitchells online? I'd like to check out the specs.