My teachers are going on strike. I know what you're all thinking "WOOHOO IT'S PARTY TIME LOOOLZ".

But tis no joke.

This will hurt my grades, and considering I'm in grade 12 this is shitty. If my marks aren't good enough this year to get in to engineering, I'm gonna have to come back for an extra year and thus lose my scholarships as they do not carry over (trust me, I've checked). This is a ****ing load of shit and I'm just barely short of killing someone out of frustration at the moment. It just seems unfair to **** up so many kids' futures over a salary contract.

Anyways, I just needed to rant. Anyone else have any stories like this, or would you just like to heckle me for my misfortune?
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
If the teachers aren't there to give you assignments how is it hurting your grade?
i had a teacher strike once.

it was the greatest week of my life.

sorry i cant help, enjoy it, theyll be back in a week or two
Quote by drevil814
If the teachers aren't there to give you assignments how is it hurting your grade?

We're expected to keep up to the material over the course of the strike, which means when we come back it is expected that we have learned all the missed material. It'll make it much tougher (at least for me) because I do much better with someone to help me and tell me how to do things.
Rig

Quote by x_themetalfan_x
My teachers are going on strike. I know what you're all thinking "WOOHOO IT'S PARTY TIME LOOOLZ".

But tis no joke.

This will hurt my grades, and considering I'm in grade 12 this is shitty. If my marks aren't good enough this year to get in to engineering, I'm gonna have to come back for an extra year and thus lose my scholarships as they do not carry over (trust me, I've checked). This is a ****ing load of shit and I'm just barely short of killing someone out of frustration at the moment. It just seems unfair to **** up so many kids' futures over a salary contract.

Anyways, I just needed to rant. Anyone else have any stories like this, or would you just like to heckle me for my misfortune?

Well how bout you ask what work you will be missing and study it yourself. When you hit uni, the lectures cover the basics and you are expected to cover the rest yourself, and then learn half the course without a lecture on it any (thank you physical chemistry oh how I hate thee)...

Anyway, I have been in a similar situation lots of times. Here in England we have had a fair few teachers strikes. I had the syllabus and just taught myself what I needed to know. I done alright, Im at Uni doing chemistry.

Just find out what work you will be missing and do extra revision.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Dude, there's nothing you can do about it so just relax and read some schoolwork in the meantime so you have a headstart when the teachers realize they'll never get paid what they should be for educating.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by drevil814

There is a reason they aren't paid well.
Quote by PinkFloyd73
i had a teacher strike once.

it was the greatest week of my life.

sorry i cant help, enjoy it, theyll be back in a week or two

A WEEK!? the most ive ever gotten off is one day.
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
when I was in school, my class had to 'spy' on this teacher for the superintendant. one person was assigned to write down any vulgar, or 'politically incorrect' thing she said or did. She was fired a week later. She was talking about how she admired what happened at Columbine becuase people just shouldnt pick on other people. She openly said, I carry a gun in my purse, I'm from texas, so it's ok. and also tried to convince our schools 'runt' to come in guns blazing. My little town was on the news for that.
I just wanna' go home.
I don't understand why teachers are such little bitches. They have like the best job for holidays and days off. If you don't like what your being paid then don't become a ****ing teacher.
--
...and the world sighed in relief
I guess I am overreacting a bit, but I'm just stressing a little about this. A prolonged strike could seriously hurt my entrance to university. I guess it shouldn't be a problem though, so long as I don't get lazy and keep up my work.
Rig

If they dont give tests for you to get a bad grade on, your legit. Dont worry your fine, you could talk your way out of it anyways.
sorry bout that dude. but since you realized that this is going to be harder than usual and you want to get into engineerig badly, you have to sit your ass down and study on your own. thats what you gotta do in university the whole time. and at university its MUCH harder than at school, so it might even be good for you
Ibanez K7
JCM 800
teachers are people too? they bust their asses and get paid shit. if youre not up to scratch to learn the material yourself youre going to be in a fair amount of trouble in university anyways.
Originally posted by Mad Marius
You've broken a low E string??? What style do you play, guitar raping noise core?
Quote by CowboyUp
You should just go to another nearby school for the remainder of the strike.

I would, but they close all schools in my immediate area to students in a striking district.

I do plan to sit myself down and study hard, and now that I think about this a little more (like I said, the above was a rant on my part) it will be good practice for Uni.
Rig

Quote by x_themetalfan_x
I would, but they close all schools in my immediate area to students in a striking district.

I do plan to sit myself down and study hard, and now that I think about this a little more (like I said, the above was a rant on my part) it will be good practice for Uni.

Little advice- Dont do what many uni students (including me) do and leave self study to the last month before the exam..... You want stress thats stress lol. Anyway hope it all works out.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
worst comes to worse, get a tutor maybe?

damn i know how you feel. I'm in g 10, but i would never want to be held back a year
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by Masknought
teachers are people too? they bust their asses and get paid shit. if youre not up to scratch to learn the material yourself youre going to be in a fair amount of trouble in university anyways.

Teachers don't really bust their asses, and they're not paid that poorly at all for what amount to about 9 months of work. Those who sign up for summer school make a killing.

They also have a ridiculous pension plan and incredible job security. The Ontario Teachers Pension Plan owns the friggin Maple Leafs!

Anyways, teachers in the Toronto board went on a "work to rule" strike when I was in grade 9, which basically meant that we didn't have any extra curriculars at all. That kind of sucked, because I wanted to play hockey and football. I ended up only being able to play 4 years instead of 5 (back when Ont high school had a grade 13).
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
Quote by MarkPlaysStuff
Teachers don't really bust their asses, and they're not paid that poorly at all for what amount to about 9 months of work. Those who sign up for summer school make a killing.

They also have a ridiculous pension plan and incredible job security. The Ontario Teachers Pension Plan owns the friggin Maple Leafs!

Anyways, teachers in the Toronto board went on a "work to rule" strike when I was in grade 9, which basically meant that we didn't have any extra curriculars at all. That kind of sucked, because I wanted to play hockey and football. I ended up only being able to play 4 years instead of 5 (back when Ont high school had a grade 13).

hm, down here (texas) several of the teachers i know have to work two jobs just to make ends meet. several of my family members teach in grade school too and they pretty much do work their asses off, so im still going to have to stick up for them, ive never had a teacher that hasnt gone the extra mile, grade school or college.
Originally posted by Mad Marius
You've broken a low E string??? What style do you play, guitar raping noise core?
Quote by Masknought
hm, down here (texas) several of the teachers i know have to work two jobs just to make ends meet. several of my family members teach in grade school too and they pretty much do work their asses off, so im still going to have to stick up for them, ive never had a teacher that hasnt gone the extra mile, grade school or college.

I've had some really great teachers. The ones that will help kids enthusiastically and at least try to make the subject material interesting or relevant to the students. I've also had teachers that do nothing but give you notes off an overhead and drink coffee. It varies really widely, but I do agree that teachers deserve more. I just didn't need this right now
Rig

Well, thanks for letting me rant this out. The pit is like a big huggable rant sponge
Rig