I play a PRS SE Singlecut through a Marshall DSL401. The material my band are coming up with is heavy rock borderline metal, and at the moment I'm mostly using my Boss MT-2 with the Marshall to get an "over the top" metal style tone.
Been experimenting with my MT-2, Dime Distortion and Double Shot Distortion and MXR 6 Band EQ with the Marshall but if I could I would rather just use the overdrive of the amp. I realise the amp is gonna need a little help to sound more metal so I intend to use the MT-2's eq circuitory to scoop the mids and add a little more gain.
I'm starting to be intrigued by swapping the stock pickups from the Singlecut and install active EMG's (like a 60/81 or 81/81 combo). Would this help push the gain levels a little from the amp due to the nature of pickups ? The only hesitance I have in this is that the PRS sounds awesome clean and I have heard EMG's ain't the best when it comes to clean tones. Would a pickup change make much of a difference as it is an expensive upgrade. I've also thought of PRS pickups like the #7's or Tremonti's signature pickups.

Any suggestions from guys who have cool metal style tone with amp I could work with ?

My Gear includes : Boss LS-2 , AC-2 , CE-5, BF-3 , PH-3 , MT-2 , MXR Dime Distortion , Double Shot Distortion, MXR Smart Gate , MXR 6 Band EQ , Dunlop Dime from Hell wah
Yeah man Emg's really push the over drive! I would recomend 60/81 personally! Also I would still use one of the Dist. pedals to really get over the top boost distortion!!
Use an OD instead of a dist. pedal though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Wait... Pickups shouldn't push the overdrive that much. It's main property would be tone affecting. Try setting up a nice overdrive in front of your amp instead.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
EMG's arent as bad at cleans as people make out- i have the 81/85 set and the 85 is very warm and nice sounding, although the 60 is meant to be better for cleans.

you should get a tubescreamer to push your marshall more- its an OVERDRIVE pedal, and it pushes the tubes harder or something i dont know lol. but the TS808 is pretty kickass
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Your cleans wont be as good as they would be with the stock pups...
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Quote by RR=bestevrplaya
not that i'm an expert "i'm not", but i think zakk wylde uses an 85 in his bridge

well seeing as the 85/81 set is the "Zakk Wylde Set"
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Ugh, Zakk Wylde has his name on everything. Next to come, ZAKK WYLDE SIGNATURE SLIDE WHISTLES!
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Generalpwnt
Ugh, Zakk Wylde has his name on everything. Next to come, ZAKK WYLDE SIGNATURE SLIDE WHISTLES!

Zakk Wylde is a cool dude. He does have a lot of signature shit, but at least he's not an arrogant dick like some other rockstars.
Quote by TehJermie
Zakk Wylde is a cool dude. He does have a lot of signature shit, but at least he's not an arrogant dick like some other rockstars.

...Is it just me or does the post confuse you?

Zakk Wylde seems like a complete and utter Dick, and he puts is name on ANYTHING, including the (might I dare mention)

Marshall MG...with all the Crushing overdrive and Slamming distortionz...
Quote by Hakanku
...Is it just me or does the post confuse you?

Zakk Wylde seems like a complete and utter Dick, and he puts is name on ANYTHING, including the (might I dare mention)

Marshall MG...with all the Crushing overdrive and Slamming distortionz...

If you take anything he says in those interviews that everyone whines about seriously, you are a complete and utter retard. He's a very down to earth guy, and he makes no illusions about who he is. He rocks out, plain and simple. And so ****ing what if he puts his name on products, he actually uses those MGs, no matter how shitty they may be. If I may take a page from the man's book, you're acting like a pussy.
TS, If you still want to sound awesome clean, keep the pickups.

I reccomend buying an OD pedal to push your amp into metal territory, like a Tubescreamer 808. If you can't afford a tubescreamer, a digitech Bad Monkey is a cheaper clone, but still very good
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Yngwi3
EMG's arent as bad at cleans as people make out- i have the 81/85 set and the 85 is very warm and nice sounding, although the 60 is meant to be better for cleans.

you should get a tubescreamer to push your marshall more- its an OVERDRIVE pedal, and it pushes the tubes harder or something i dont know lol. but the TS808 is pretty kickass

EMG's are actualy used for cleans in alot of cases. Most country musicians use them oddly enough (no i don't like country) andeven David Gilmore uses them. He actualy pickup an s-1 (i believe i know it was a single coil active EMG) out of a huge supply of pickups a friend of his brought over for him and he has stuck with it ever since.
From what I understand you're saying this-

You like the Marshall however it won't give you enough gain/distortion for your tastes.

To answer your pickup question- Yes. Higher output pickups will give you more bite and balls (haha) than you had before. They may very well push you into the metal territory alone. If you choose to go with EMGs, their cleans are more than adequate with proper adjustment and EQ work. If not, I'd recommend some Seymour Duncan SH-10s, they're very adjustable and versatile, from clean to distortion they're probably my favorite passive.

I wouldn't recommend using a MT-2 or any other distortion pedal to EQ your amp.

If you want a quick solution, get an Overdrive or boost pedal. There are plenty out there and I'm sure a quick forum search will yield many results.

Second, if you want an EQ, I'd recommend with going to a 7-10 band EQ and putting it in the loop with a noise suppressor. You could also use a larger rackmount EQ (like a 31 band) for this purpose.
Quote by diesect20022000
EMG's are actualy used for cleans in alot of cases. Most country musicians use them oddly enough (no i don't like country) andeven David Gilmore uses them. He actualy pickup an s-1 (i believe i know it was a single coil active EMG) out of a huge supply of pickups a friend of his brought over for him and he has stuck with it ever since.
seriously???
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by TehJermie
If you take anything he says in those interviews that everyone whines about seriously, you are a complete and utter retard. He's a very down to earth guy, and he makes no illusions about who he is. He rocks out, plain and simple. And so ****ing what if he puts his name on products, he actually uses those MGs, no matter how shitty they may be. If I may take a page from the man's book, you're acting like a pussy.

Well how is someone starting out to know any better than what Zakk says in the interviews? That's what particularly slimy about the whole Zakk Wylde/MG thing. And the guy is a wanker by the way, he's an arrogant racist and a homophobe and makes no secret of this. Not to mention the extremely dodgy scam he was connected with a while back.

And now Zakk is asking people for money so he can give it to charity. TBH i am sick of Zakk Wylde and dislike having to mention him. However, times like these call for it. The guy is a fake.

And to the guy earlier in the thread; yes pickups play a big part in overdriving your amp. The higher output on the pickup the harder it's going to drive the amp.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Quote by brokenwizard
i have the 81/60 combo and i love the clean sound they get, so does james hetfield and both his distortion and clean tone kick serious ass!

That's probably the hundreds of thousands of dollars of gear he has.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Quote by pity tha' foo'
That's probably the hundreds of thousands of dollars of gear he has.

But I get a good clean tone with my 81/81 set and my half stack.. I don't think that's even two thousand dollars worth of gear...

Sooo your point has been debunked.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong EMG cleans are alright IMO, i like jazzy cleans, but i was just making the point that the great tone is mostly coming from his gear other than the pickups.

But yes, debunked in as much as you don't need hundreds of thousands of dollars for them to sound good clean.
Quote by Qazxs
Quote by pity tha' foo'
Well how is someone starting out to know any better than what Zakk says in the interviews? That's what particularly slimy about the whole Zakk Wylde/MG thing. And the guy is a wanker by the way, he's an arrogant racist and a homophobe and makes no secret of this. Not to mention the extremely dodgy scam he was connected with a while back.

And now Zakk is asking people for money so he can give it to charity. TBH i am sick of Zakk Wylde and dislike having to mention him. However, times like these call for it. The guy is a fake.

And to the guy earlier in the thread; yes pickups play a big part in overdriving your amp. The higher output on the pickup the harder it's going to drive the amp.

Are you serious?
Wooow.

Anywho. I have an H-S-H setup on my guitar and went with EMG 60 on neck, 81 on bridge and an EMG SA in the middle. It sounds great and I play all styled of metal. I get good cleans using it with a very low amount of chorus effect and my BBE sonic maximizer.
Quote by Yngwi3
seriously???

Yeah i was surprised too but, it's true. Not all EMG's are bad and in fact some are really decent (for the apropriate application of course) i honestly think that the reason most of us (yes i hated them too until i tried them) dislike them is simply because of the people that we hear using them to us sound like either bad players or just terrible tonal setups in general. EMG's do color your sound alot and for alot of say....classic rock enthusiasts this is not good but, it also depends on which ones you get. Once again David Gilmore uses them and you can very well clearly hear that he is using a strat.
Quote by diesect20022000
Yeah i was surprised too but, it's true. Not all EMG's are bad and in fact some are really decent (for the apropriate application of course) i honestly think that the reason most of us (yes i hated them too until i tried them) dislike them is simply because of the people that we hear using them to us sound like either bad players or just terrible tonal setups in general. EMG's do color your sound alot and for alot of say....classic rock enthusiasts this is not good but, it also depends on which ones you get. Once again David Gilmore uses them and you can very well clearly hear that he is using a strat.

oh yeah cool- i have EMG's myself, i was just shocked at the whole country thing lol
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace