i think i found my bite problem!

as you people all know, ive been having issues with adding bite to my AC/DC-ish solos. but, i think i know the answer. a maple fretboard. but im not sure. i think it could be, because the squier is the only one i can get bite out of. if i get an eq, could i help replicate the bitier tones of a maple fretboard for my two rosewood fretboard guitars(MIM strat and Ibanez AXS32)? also, when using my strat, for my metal muff, its warm (weird i know), could the eq fix this over warmth?

(i know, this is weird because Angus used mahogany (Dark) and rosewood (dark). and i use basswood (light) and maple (light). so dont comment on that plz.)
Last edited by Arlabester at Feb 13, 2007,
What pickup position are you using on each guitar? Fretboards only change the tone a little bit and not as much as you are suggesting.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by player o slayer
its prolly your AMP thats not giving you bite

so how did my squier give me bite?

im using the bridge on my ibanez and squier, and on my strat mid+bridge

oh and btw, fretboard and tone woods change the tone more than the pickups.
Quote by Arlabester
so how did my squier give me bite?

Because it has single coil pickups. They naturally have more bite. Also, some tonewoods have a sharper tone than others (Alder is brighter than mahogany, for example). As to Angus, I think he picks hard and his Marshall may give him the bite that you seek. You may want to try a Marshall and see if that fixes your problem.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Quote by claptonfan55
Because it has single coil pickups. They naturally have more bite. Also, some tonewoods have a sharper tone than others (Alder is brighter than mahogany, for example). As to Angus, I think he picks hard and his Marshall may give him the bite that you seek. You may want to try a Marshall and see if that fixes your problem.

haha! no they dont! you dont realize the '51 has a humbucker! ITS NOT A STRAT COPY!!! it has a hb in the bridge, and a SC in the neck. good try. and i pick hard! and no, i dont like marshalls. i dont know whats wrong with me.
His SG's had carved maple tops...

EDIT: I see you pick hard, and that's good. Angus was no pansy. As Malcolm would say, "Hit the bugger!"
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
what do the tops have to do with anything?

of course i pick hard. i was freakin defensive leader for my football team...
If you had two guitars and the ONLY difference was the fretboard wood, you couldn't tell the difference by listening to them.
Quote by Arlabester
what do the tops have to do with anything?

of course i pick hard. i was freakin defensive leader for my football team...

Look into acoustic guitars for different tops man. Some have spruce, pine, maple, etc.....It has to do with wood resonance...Don't worry about your neck man, thats not the problem. It has to do with the amp you are using along with the pedals (if any) and how you play....and I guess p-ups too...

The only big difference you will see from electric guitar body wood is brightness... Mahogany sucks up the resonance and creates a warmer, quieter tone. Maple and Alder are bright hard woods that make the sound loud and add treble...
Quote by i_baked_cookies
If you had two guitars and the ONLY difference was the fretboard wood, you couldn't tell the difference by listening to them.

he's more or less correct. Different fretboard woods only feel different. If you look when you fret a string, it never even touches the fretboard. Fretboard wood doesn't even come close to the influence that pickups and body wood has on your sound.
Check your pickup height of all 3 guitars, Maybe raise the treble side of your pups in the other guitars.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!