okay, so im getting into the Raconteurs, and ill probably purchase theyre album, and want to sound like them (lol) and i was wondering, how does he almost get that "mechanical distortion"? i know he uses P-90s, and fender amps (i think) but thats it. i think thats a pedal. does anyone know what that is? especcialy the bridge after the first chorus. i know hes doing all those bends and slides, but it sounds mechanical.

linky: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gbJh5CagyNA

i have a blues junior, mim strat, '51, AXS32, ts808, big muff, metal muff, and crybaby.

thank you!
I think you're hearing the keyboard.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Quote by wingedgopher
I think you're hearing the keyboard.

no. the keyboard has the same riff over and over. its not it, he has a little solo bridge thing. listen to it. i can hear it during the verses during the power chords too. (i mean the power chords themselves)
Airline guitars and an old amp that was sold in the Montgomery-Ward catalogue in the 50's and 60's.
Quote by colin617
Airline guitars and an old amp that was sold in the Montgomery-Ward catalogue in the 50's and 60's.

he was using a gretsch in that.
Quote by Arlabester
Jack White Sounds...

...like utter shit.

Oh? This isn't a 'finish that sentence' thread? My mistake.

Sorry, guy just hasn't put any music out that didn't make me cringe the minute I've heard it.
Quote by FEDS-91
...like utter shit.

Oh? This isn't a 'finish that sentence' thread? My mistake.

Sorry, guy just hasn't put any music out that didn't make me cringe the minute I've heard it.

oh thats helping.
his guitar for the raconteurs is a semi hollow made out of metal (from what ive been told and based on appearance) and it gives it that crunchy tone
frankly i love the tone in songs like "level"
so driven and chrunch and amazing
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Two 100 watt Sears Silvertone 6x10 for crunch along with Fender Twin Reverbs. I believe the pedal is a Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi NYC Reissue. The weird sounds are from Digitech Whammy. Also uses a MXR Micro Amp pedal. I think he uses full sized humbuckers and not P-90's but don't take my word for it. JB Hutto Montgomery Airlines, Harmony Rocket, 1970's Crestwood Astral II, 1950's Kay Hollowbody guitars.
Last edited by malibuclc at Feb 13, 2007,
Jack: “In my small pedal chain it’s the whammy first, then the Big Muff. What I like about the Whammy pedal is that it can raise my guitar an octave and what I like about the Big Muff is that it’s just distortion. I have them in that order because it’s not high-pitched distortion, but high pitch with distortion.”
Go to http://www.whitestripes.net/faq.php#otherinst
But if you want the Raconteurs sounds, he's using a Blackface Twin Reverb with his usual pedalboard. Obviously he's using Gretsch guitars now.
Quote by malibuclc
Jack: “In my small pedal chain it’s the whammy first, then the Big Muff. What I like about the Whammy pedal is that it can raise my guitar an octave and what I like about the Big Muff is that it’s just distortion. I have them in that order because it’s not high-pitched distortion, but high pitch with distortion.”
Go to http://www.whitestripes.net/faq.php#otherinst

ah. i cant acheive that then. thanks for your help guys.
For a song like "Level" here's what he uses.

Gretsch Triple Jet
Dual amp set up, Fender Twin and Silvertone 1485
MXR microamp
Big Muff Pi
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.