Is it really necessary. I never use it as it sounds bland and unoriginal. I use majors and all its modes, harmonic minor and some modes of that and the melodic minor only to spice solols up a bit...

If im playing blues its the blues pentatonic.. but I add the 6th interval (so in E pent blues I add C#).

But never the pentatonic major or minor.

Not once.

Is that a bad thing?
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
yes
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Its a good thing to start scales with. Its more of an outline to scales than anything! its good if your just starting improvising!
It's not necessary, but if you know how to use it, then use it.

Most bands don't know how to use pentatonic, but its all they know, or they don't know how to use ANY scale that they know.

If you want diversity in your sound, most definately use it, it's a familiar sound too as most of western culture now has been bought up with it in some way or another.
But unless you knwo how to use it, theres no point in using it.
Yes, the pentatonic has a lot of cliche licks, but they're cliches for a reason: they sound really cool. You should learn to use it effectively. When properly used, it can sound anything from bluesy to Chinese.

Once you know how to use it, you can decide that it isn't for you.
Im in the same boat as you. Ive learned tons of stuff but never the pentatonic. I dont think that I really need it as there are tons of other scales out there that I love. Its all preference. However, it sure wont hurt to learn it because it will only expand your horizons.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I never use it as it sounds bland and unoriginal

Because you use it that way. Listen to Steve Vai or Joe Satriani and tell me it sounds "bland" when they use it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Because you use it that way. Listen to Steve Vai or Joe Satriani and tell me it sounds "bland" when they use it.
It does to me...
It's kinda hard to do rock improvisation and avoid using pentatonic. It's just such an
integral sound to rock. Essentially it's just a subset of the diatonic scale, so you
you probably use it to a certain degree. Also, I'd consider the blues scale to amount
to just about the same thing as minor pentatonic.

While it's generally thought of as a "beginner's scale", there are some advanced uses
that make other scales seem like child's play by comparison.
Some of your posts are really lame. The pentatonic scale is just a tool to achieve a certain type of sound- it isn't a "beginner" scale or an "easy" scale- it's no easier than any other scale.
Hey, if you're doing well without the pentatonics, it's not necessary to learn. Personally, I use them, mainly because I don't know many other scales yet.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Quote by CowboyUp
Some of your posts are really lame. The pentatonic scale is just a tool to achieve a certain type of sound- it isn't a "beginner" scale or an "easy" scale- it's no easier than any other scale.

Well, your comprehension of my post is rather lame.

I didn't say *I* thought it was a beginner or easy
scale. I don't think that at all. In fact, I think it can be
quite a bit more difficult to master than other scales because
of the larger intervals in the scale.

"While it's generally thought..." does NOT mean ME. Read a bit more carefully.
It isn't any easier than any other scale. I don't use it in my guitar solos, but when I improv it give a nice easy going sound for a nice solo for blues.

Why not use it? I use pentatonic and all other scales... why limit yourself?
Quote by edg
Well, your comprehension of my post is rather lame.

I didn't say *I* thought it was a beginner or easy
scale. I don't think that at all. In fact, I think it can be
quite a bit more difficult to master than other scales because
of the larger intervals in the scale.

"While it's generally thought..." does NOT mean ME. Read a bit more carefully.

I wasn't talking to you, my post just happened to be under yours. Sorry if it came off that way.

lol, miscommunication.
um well the pentatonic scale are just five notes from the natural minor scale, so if you play the minor scale your essentially playing parts of the pentatonic scale
I find pentatonics to be hella useful, if you dont want to use them thats cool. I know quite a few other scales and dont really use them either, but they normally help me start a solo.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
It depends on how you use your scales. I personally don't give two craps about pentatonics solely. However, I am beginning to learn about it's intervals.

If I was going to return to the root, I might hammer from the second to third, back to second, then slide to the root. But now I'm recognising that I can skip intervals, and make it sound cool and more varied, and maybe go second, third, fifth, second, root. So I recommend fooling around with the intervals of the pentatonic scale; you don't have to use it solely, you can still use a full scale, but focus on what the pentatonic offers, and why it's how it is.
Whats good about THE pent scale (say around the 12fret area if in Eminor) is you can often relate other scales to it.. so if you don't know what key part of a song or scale use is in, you can relate it to the pent and think "hmm so that notes the same as this one in the pent.." and locate the root note.
Quote by OLP1
um well the pentatonic scale are just five notes from the natural minor scale, so if you play the minor scale your essentially playing parts of the pentatonic scale

Um yes that's true. Sort of. You could also be playing parts of the Dorian or Phrygian
scales, depending how you look at it.
nope, your knowlage of scales is so good you should never need, or want to use it.
.My Rig.

Ibanez GAX75
Laney LV300T
Behringer UD100 ULTRA DISTORTION [lol]
Dano Octave Metal
Dunlop Crybaby
for me, Aeolian > Minor Pentatonic lol

Its the minor pentatonic with extra notes!
Gear:
Ibnaez RG1570 Prestige
Maton EM225C Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Pedal
I think your missing the point. Nothing is necessary in writing music, just that some things can be more important than others. Some would say that if your looking for a catchy, simple and short solo, then pentatonics are more important. Others would find that it is better to use a few different exotic modes to create a complicated and quirky solo, and they would not use 'simpler' pentatonics.

Pentatonics/modes are not necessary, if you want to use them go ahead, if you dont then focus on something else.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by stratman_mjc
for me, Aeolian > Minor Pentatonic lol

Its the minor pentatonic with extra notes!

pfft, Lydian owns Aeolian any day
Quote by CowboyUp
pfft, Lydian owns Aeolian any day

Win.
But: Lydian Augmented > Lydian
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.