I'm going on a trip in a few days and was going to bring my ipod but I have a question. I got it not too long ago and don't use it a lot so I'm not entirely familiar with the battery. Over Christmas I brought it to Chicago and used it for probably 6 hours or so the whole trip but when I got back the battery light in the top right of the screen was red and almost empty. I thought ipods were supposed to have like 24 hour batteries or something. Or are there different layers of the battery light and that just meant the first one was almost done (if you know what I mean)? I don't have a computer to bring so is there some way I could charge it other than plugging it into a computer? Thanks for teh help.

EDIT: Oh and it's a 4 gig nano if that makes any difference.
iPod batteries are terrible.

And the advertised "14 Hour Life" is only if you turn it on, and don't touch it.
you could buy an auto charger. they plug into the ciggarette lighter. and no, the battery isn't in layers. when it's green, you have a lot of life. when it's red, your almost out.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
yeah that 14 hour thing is like you have to turn of the backlight and not play games and stuff
and the battery light is usually wrong on mine it goes down to red really quick but then lasts for hours after that
Quote by freedoms_stain

I think it's sick to force kids to take part in hate mongering and sick for spoonman to think its right for any adult to throw anything at a child.
I think I read somewhere that some iPod batteries where faulty so they didn't last very long and that if you had one of these batteries you can send your iPod and get another one for free. I think if you check the website it will tell you how to find out. This probably isn't much help until your back but I hope this helps anyway.
Quote by BlackDacca
I think I read somewhere that some iPod batteries where faulty so they didn't last very long and that if you had one of these batteries you can send your iPod and get another one for free. I think if you check the website it will tell you how to find out. This probably isn't much help until your back but I hope this helps anyway.

Wow, they were only going to charge me $110 plus shipping to change my faulty one.
the little red section with one itty bitty bar will last for about 30 mins (on a 30 gig iPOD)
but yea just charge it and buy a wall charger they ran about 40 45 about a year and a half ago
Quote by Adam_G
I think it's appropriate for you to walk outside and get some sunlight and maybe a life

Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl annoying me on the bus.
Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"
Her:"What??! Noo!"
Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."
/\ ummm... Are you sure you told them that it was faulty? Because it sounds like you just told them that ur battery ran out. In which case, they charge about 100 dollars and send you a new ipod.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
Quote by evan1234567
Quote by *Spoonman*
yeah that 14 hour thing is like you have to turn of the backlight and not play games and stuff
and the battery light is usually wrong on mine it goes down to red really quick but then lasts for hours after that

Where are you guys getting the 14 hours? Does it not say 24 hours here ? And about how much longer does the battery last from when it goes red?
Quote by PieceOfMind666
/\ ummm... Are you sure you told them that it was faulty? Because it sounds like you just told them that ur battery ran out. In which case, they charge about 100 dollars and send you a new ipod.

Oh no, they knew it was faulty. I told them that my iPod was about a month and a half old, and that it would only hold a charge for about 45 minutes, at which point they pretty much told me to either fork over $110, or go fuck myself.

If I could have stabbed that little bastard I talked to over the phone, I would have done it.

Quote by Turbo_Man
Where are you guys getting the 14 hours? Does it not say 24 hours here ? And about how much longer does the battery last from when it goes red?

Everything Apple says is bullshit. On my Nano box it advertises a 14hr life.

Besides, Apple would tell you that if you bought a Nano, your dead puppy would come back to life, if that's what it would take for you to buy one.
Last edited by Pacifica112J at Feb 13, 2007,
buy a creative
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Oh no, they knew it was faulty. I told them that my iPod was about a month and a half old, and that it would only hold a charge for about 45 minutes, at which point they pretty much told me to either fork over $110, or go fuck myself.

If I could have stabbed that little bastard I talked to over the phone, I would have done it.

Everything Apple says is bullshit. On my Nano box it advertises a 14hr life.

Besides, Apple would tell you that if you bought a Nano, your dead puppy would come back to life, if that's what it would take for you to buy one.

damn that sucks then. I would be so pissed at that guy on the phone.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
Quote by evan1234567
14 hours is for nanos and 30 gigs, 24 hours is on 80 gig only.

And thats only if hte backlight is turned off never touched, and with a single song on repeat.

So in reality expect about 7 hours.

and its not that the ipod batteries are faulty, its jsut that the battereies start losing eficiency in holding thier charge after about a year or so. thats why their limited warantee lasts only a year.
Yeah, on a new Ipod expect about 6 - 8 hours of normal usage, if you really want to stretch it turn off the backlight and you will see a HUGE difference (around 13 - 14 hours). On an older Ipod, expect around 4 - 5 hours normal and 10 with the backlight off. Oh and one other thing, if you are going to listen to music, turn on an album and leave it, don't skip around songs much, giving the harddrive a workout only wastes your battery...

Oh and Creatives aren't any better so don't even get started on that. Best thing for you to do is either buy a car charger or wall charger, depending on where you are going.
OH NOES! My sig is gone.
Quote by kaplac
14 hours is for nanos and 30 gigs, 24 hours is on 80 gig only.

And thats only if hte backlight is turned off never touched, and with a single song on repeat.

So in reality expect about 7 hours.

and its not that the ipod batteries are faulty, its jsut that the battereies start losing eficiency in holding thier charge after about a year or so. thats why their limited warantee lasts only a year.

Ok so I should expect around 7 even if the ipod is only about 3 months old?

EDIT: To the guy above me, I have the backlight set to turn off 15 secs after I stop pressing stuff, will that make a noticeable difference or should I set that time for less?
Last edited by Turbo_Man at Feb 13, 2007,
yeah pretty much. assuming you turn it on and scroll around for music and wahtever every so often.

Movies are different, expect about 2 hours.

but yeah, all battereis on mp3 players seem to have a battery life of about 7 hours.
they lie... they are liars.... but I love my iPod nonetheless (30GB Vid)... get a charger for your car...
Co-Founder of the Lumpia Lovers club (PM me, jake911 , or vicd08 to join)
Well, my Ipod 80GB has amazing battery life. I got it from Hong Kong (not that it really matters though) and the battery life lasts a long time - 9/10 hours? However, if you're talking nano like you are, perhaps the battery life will be lower. I suggest getting a battery with longer life. That's what I did with my old 15GB 3rd Gen Ipod and it worked great.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I think I might get a wall charger, does it matter which one or are they all pretty similar?
I have a year old iPod and with my backlight on two seconds I listened to 2 full Dane Cook cds and watched all the way until about 10 minutes after Samuel L Jacksons famous line on Snakes on a Plane, before it died.

Turn the backlight on two seconds, it helps alot, and is still enough time IMO, to see what u want.
Duckksecks

Duck #5 of the African Water Hole fan club PM findingmyway to join!
Ok I just put the backlight on 2 secs. Is this wall charger ok? If not then what's a good one? I just don't see the point of paying $40 when there's a good one for under $20.
Dude, just get an original dock connector charger. All ipods are compatible.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by GoodNite_AmyLee
Dude, just get an original dock connector charger. All ipods are compatible.

Link? That one says all ipods are compatible as well.
Quote by Turbo_Man
Link? That one says all ipods are compatible as well.

Your Ipod Nano has a dock connector. Why do you want the added USB-charger for (that's only for Shuffles)?
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Wait what? I'm probably being retarded now but I need a wall charger. It's kind of hard to plug a USB cord into a wall outlet.