Page 1 of 2
Okay I was supposed to get a LP Studio from Musicians friend they screwed up and sent me this LP Double Cut Standard. How much are they worth? I have no experience with the double cuts and have literally just opened it a few minutes ago. I'm going to start playing it after dinner but I just wondered if anyone here has one or has used one and can tell me what the pros and cons of this thing is? It sure is pretty.
Attachments:
aaa.jpg
My gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Fender MIM Strat w/ Texas Specials
Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401
Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
i don't like double cuts...
its not the original
check musician friends how much they are...
and sell it for almost full price if u can get a profit from it =]
but i suggest returning it
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I didnt order a special I ordered a studio but I am liking this guitar I just dont know how the tone will be different and not sure if I like having only one set of vol tone knobs
My gear

Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
the neck and head do not suit the body. at all. but it is still nice, if you're dead cert' on a LP then by all means return it (or ebay it for mass profit!), but if you end up liking it then you've got a bargain
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Play it and see what you think. If you like it, keep the double cut. Plus, I don't think too many people have double cut LPs, so you'll be somewhat unique.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Sharp lookin guitar, I'd take it back though. I love single cutaways.
Quote by Nirvana12390
Is wayne brady gonna have to choke a bitch?
Well I think it's going back, it played pretty good but there were quite a few Cosmetic flaws I noticed after really looking at it. I guess that's what I get for trying to order a guitar instead of going to the store.

Too bad because I was starting to like it, It was a little lighter than a reg lp had better upper fret access and 24 frets.
My gear

Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
I'd keep it even if you don't like it. I am sure you can resell it and get more than the LP studio's value (is it still $1000 on MF?).
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by vanzant38
Play it for a week or 2. Then decide.

^^What I would do.

Double cuttaways are the shit. Not many of them around.

EDT: w00t to xBox 360s ^^

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Yeah dude its complete S*** you won't even make a profit off of it just give it to me, ill hold it nice for you

Honestly, keep it its work more and you can get upper fret access
Quote by Izdigger
Arrrgh! The agony! Bring me a virgin and a cup of Devil's brew!

Quote by mr kipling
I can sweep with my boner.I have to use light strings, otherwise My penis will look like an emo wrist.
If I weren't very moral, keep it. If I continue to be the outstanding citizen I am, give it back and get what you paid for. Otherwise you're commiting theft.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'd take one of those over a Studio.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I'd keep it for sure. I really like the double cuts.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
d00d, joU mu$t k3Ep iT. I mean, seriously: Gold Hardware, Actual Woodgrain, ETc, Over a STUDIO? The studio is bound to have more flaws, and their quality and quality control are both horrible, not to mention that The double cut just plain has class. Keep it or else you will be haunted by this message forever.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I cant even beleive your considering parting with it, fair enough, you may not like the shape, but COME ON!! Its SUCH a better guitar than the studio, keep it for awhile, see if musician's friend say/do anything (if they realise their mistake) if after a month or two they dont, then decide whether you want to keep that shape, or sell it, make profit and then get the studio (or if u can afford with your newly made profit a standard)

Thats what I would do^^
Just keep it... Sell it on eBay as new, get the money.

Then you buy the Studio that you want, and you are going to be left with about $400-500 dollars to spend on something else ;D
Quote by jlhenry
Well I think it's going back, it played pretty good but there were quite a few Cosmetic flaws I noticed after really looking at it. I guess that's what I get for trying to order a guitar instead of going to the store.

Too bad because I was starting to like it, It was a little lighter than a reg lp had better upper fret access and 24 frets.

If you're liking it, keep it... Hell, keep it anyways, if you don't want it just sell it.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
the DC is of the same craftsmanship as a Standard, where many Studios have shoddy craftsmanship. the Studio and DC have the same pickups. the Standard used to have these pickups but have now been changed to Burstbuckers. most people (me included) like the 490/498 better than the Burstbuckers. my 1993 Standard has 490/498.

so basically, if you return this guitar, you're trading in a Standard for a cheaper, most likely crappier guitar. the DC is better made and they have the same pickups, so it's very unlikely that the Studio is going to sound better. I've also read and seen it debated that the Studio is made with cheaper quality hardware. plus, the DC has nice looking binding, etc.

as far as the finishing flaws, they'd have to be some BIG flaws for me to trade that guitar in for a Studio.

that's at least a $1600 guitar (that color is not even listed for sale on Musicians Friend). if you really want the Studio, you should do some other player a nice favor and sell it for $1000 instead of returning it. that way, you can get the Studio and some other player can get a deal on a DC Standard.
I was starting to think last night I might just keep it. Sounds like that is the popular decision.
My gear

Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
Quote by jlhenry

First off, I call bullshit on everyone claiming the "It's SO much better than a Studio" line. That's a load of crap. As long as you're not talking LP Jr and LP Special, the model of the Les Paul has NOTHING to do with it being "good" or "bad". You can just as easily get an outstanding $1200 Studio as a dud $3500 Custom. That's just the wasy it is with Gibson. Model type and price are nothing but an illusion to fool the average joe into thinking one is better than the other. Technically, that should be the case, but it isn't. And Gibson's marketing ploy works like a charm. Just look at all the posts on this board claiming how one model of Gibson is better than another. Even the posts in this thread show that.

Now that being said, the LP DC Standard is worth like $500 or more than the Studio. In your position, due to the number of cosmetic flaws on your guitar, I would sell the DC privately on ebay or something and get my money back plus the extra you can get because of MF's screwup. Then go to a physical brick-and-mortar store and try out all the Les Pauls you can afford. Pick the one that sounds best to you, and inspect them closely for cosmetic flaws.

When you can get a good Gibson, they're great guitars that are worth their price. However, most Les Pauls are merely average or substandard. There's NO REASON IN THE WORLD
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by jlhenry

First off, I call bullshit on everyone claiming the "It's SO much better than a Studio" line. That's a load of crap. As long as you're not talking LP Jr and LP Special, the model of the Les Paul has NOTHING to do with it being "good" or "bad". You can just as easily get an outstanding $1200 Studio as a dud $3500 Custom. That's just the wasy it is with Gibson. Model type and price are nothing but an illusion to fool the average joe into thinking one is better than the other. Technically, that should be the case, but it isn't. And Gibson's marketing ploy works like a charm. Just look at all the posts on this board claiming how one model of Gibson is better than another. Even the posts in this thread show that.

Now that being said, the LP DC Standard is worth like $500 or more than the Studio. In your position, due to the number of cosmetic flaws on your guitar, I would sell the DC privately on ebay or something and get my money back plus the extra you can get because of MF's screwup. Then go to a physical brick-and-mortar store and try out all the Les Pauls you can afford. Pick the one that sounds best to you, and inspect them closely for cosmetic flaws.

When you can get a good Gibson, they're great guitars that are worth their price. However, most Les Pauls are merely average or substandard. There's NO REASON IN THE WORLD any premium $1000 + guitar should have even the slightest cosmetic flaws. And cosmetic problems are not the only issues with Les Pauls. Problems can range from anything from twisted necks, bad fret finishing, misplaced frets, etc. Gibson lets some REALLY shìtty guitars through their QA.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Last edited by Crunchmeister at Feb 14, 2007,
wait can we see some pics of the flaws before we start making our opinions?
#64 in the Alter Bridge rocks club!

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by jlhenry

When you can get a good Gibson, they're great guitars that are worth their price. However, most Les Pauls are merely average or substandard. There's NO REASON IN THE WORLD

^^Jeez....no need for three posts...a lil' bit excessive dontchya think?

hehe.
Quote by rooster456
If I weren't very moral, keep it. If I continue to be the outstanding citizen I am, give it back and get what you paid for. Otherwise you're commiting theft.
If you're given something, it's yours by law.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
If it has a lot of cosmetic flaws, what you got there is what they call in the business as "B stock"...B meaning blemish.
If that's the case, you got an even deal 'cause even if the DC is worth more, it's gone down the toilet with the cosmetic flaws.
I've heard more than one rumor that MF is notorious for selling B stock stuff, same as Guitar Center....they are connected after all. I'd never buy a guitar thru the mail, 'specially MF. I gotta see it and feel it in my hands before I lay down any cash for it, return poilcy or not.
the reason the DCs are $600 more than Studios is because they're more expensive to make. the reason they're more expensive to make is because they have more expensive hardware, more expensive wood and better craftsmanship. now yes, you can get a dud Standard as well as a great Studio. but common sense says you're less likely to get a great Studio than a great Standard. saying that a Studio in general is as good as a Standard is like all the people that say that Epiphones are just as good as Gibsons or Squiers are just as good as USA Fenders, it's people trying to justify their guitars because they can't afford better.

but like I already recommended, if you decide to get rid of it, sell it for a deal to a player. screw Musicians Friend, you don't owe them anything. it's their mistake, and they aren't losing one penny off of it anyway.
I think you should keep it, not only did you get a bit of a bargian you got a doublecut, wich makes you less boring!
pff, who has morals these days. it's their fault they screwed up your order, they can pay for it

and if you like it, keep it. if not, take advantage and make some $
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
lol dude if u complain about the cosmetic flaws worry more about the studio ur getting, cuz Gibson LP's are the nr. 1 hit of their low quality shit making products.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
I think Crunch's computer/internet connection is going wonky on him .

I would say keep it, but that's because I've actually wanted a DC LP in the past...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Page 1 of 2