I have a bit of a pet peeve. Ever since I was a little kid, I've been taught that you use apostrophe s ('s) when you're referring to a singular object's possession, and s apostrophe (s') when referring to plural objects' possession. However, nowadays, the general consensus seems to be that whenever something ends in s, apostrophe s (s') is used. I'm a grammar nazi, especially when it comes to this. So, what's your outlook on this?
that this thread sucks
OAKLAND A's - 9 TIME CHAMPS!!

DUKE BLUE DEVILS - 4 TIME CHAMPS & 19 TIME ACC CHAMPS!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS - 4 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - 3 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

SAN JOSE SHARKS - NONE LOL!!
If you're expecting proper punctuation etc. online... well... forget about that, then.
OR
If your expecting proper punctuation etc. online... well... forget about that, than.
I have the same thing, only its when people don't use commas.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I think that the way you described your last point was really ambiguous, but I think what you're trying to say is correct. I don't even know what you're asking.

example of how it's done for the last thing:

Say the guy's last name is "Smiths".

"Pass me Smiths' cup." That's how you show possession in a case like that, no?
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
My cat's breath smells like catfood
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Pretty pointless thread eh?

Anyway, to be no fun and answer to what you've asked, I was always told that apostrophes were used either when referring to a singular or plural possesive (the child's ball) or when ellision occurs (it's as opposed to it is)...however it is misused sooooo much that apostrophes may as well not actually exist...actually that wouldn't be a bad thing 'cos (< see what I did there?) it would stop my English teacher ranting about this stuff and comparing our language to the French, who, apparently, don't have apostrophes and cope just fine
Quote by iain4444
I think that the way you described your last point was really ambiguous, but I think what you're trying to say is correct. I don't even know what you're asking.

What he is saying is:

I went to John's ( 's as in possesion of John)
I went to the mothers' (s' as in possesion of a plural group of mothers)

now what he is saying is lately, he has seen (imagine a person's name being Cas)

I went to Cas' (as in I went to Cas'es, which I believe is the way you are supposed to do it)
OH NOES! My sig is gone.
If you're talking about a singular object's possession and the object ends in s, there would be an apostrophe when the object more than one syllable (Mathias') but if it's a single syllable, then it would be 's (eg. Ross's). At least, that's what I was taught.
{{you are all my heart needs to keep me alive}}
Quote by Burpbelly
Pretty pointless thread eh?

Anyway, to be no fun and answer to what you've asked, I was always told that apostrophes were used either when referring to a singular or plural possesive (the child's ball) or when ellision occurs (it's as opposed to it is)...however it is misused sooooo much that apostrophes may as well not actually exist...actually that wouldn't be a bad thing 'cos (< see what I did there?) it would stop my English teacher ranting about this stuff and comparing our language to the French, who, apparently, don't have apostrophes and cope just fine

Agreed, apostrophes are being misused all the time, but as long as you are able to communicate it's all good
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
aww...i thought this was gonna be about the Frank Zappa album
Holy crap, my UG account still exists?
Simon helped carry Jesus' cross.

Looks correct to me.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Em, then those people are wrong. It is for plurals.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by AceOfBlades
thi's th'read s'uck's'es

TAKE THAT ENGLISH LANGUAGE!

Good post. Funniest I've seen in the past 20 minutes.