I am thinking of doing some appearance modifications to my Epi LP 100. I know this is not the greatest guitar to spend money on, but its all I got for a while. Right now, I am thinking of these things.

-Gibson standard nickel tuning keys
-Pickup covers
-gold top hat knobs
-maybe a Bigsby vibrato(not for appearance)

How does this sound?
P.S. How much are Bigsby vibratos?
the bigsby will improve the appearance as well
at least i think they look goshdarned cool
if u put covers on, u'll have to repot the pickups.

and a bigsby would cost a bunch.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Bigsby_vibrato_tailpieces/Bigsby_Vibrato_Tailpieces.html

those mods except maybe the knobs, cost a bunch. ur better off just saving for a new guitar or amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
if u put covers on, u'll have to repot the pickups.

and a bigsby would cost a bunch.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Bigsby_vibrato_tailpieces/Bigsby_Vibrato_Tailpieces.html

those mods except maybe the knobs, cost a bunch. ur better off just saving for a new guitar or amp.

Sorry, I am n00b. What is "repot the pickups"? I don't mind spending the money, my birthday is coming up soon. Plus, when I get a new Les Paul(hopefully Gibson ), I can use some of the parts.

EDIT: Does your average music store carry Bigsby vibrato's? Or do i have to order them in through the store?
Bigsby's have to be the sexiest things I have ever seen. One of my dream guitars consist of those Custom Gibson Es-335's with Bigsby's...
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Bigsby's have to be the sexiest things I have ever seen. One of my dream guitars consist of those Custom Gibson Es-335's with Bigsby's...

Amen to that.
to put on a pickup cover correctly, you need to take it out then dip it in wax.
the bigsby would have to be installed. you can get a cheap one for about a hundred at MF.

and im just saying, maybe you should just save up for another guitar.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G5265-Jet-Baritone?sku=511568
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^agreed, jenny.

I just noticed that your guitar isn't really up to having a modded out fest. It's not worth anything to you if your guitar looks good...but sounds not so good, know what I mean?

Like Jenny said, you would save alot more money if you just saved up for a new amp or a new guitar--better tone too!

cheers.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
^agreed, jenny.

I just noticed that your guitar isn't really up to having a modded out fest. It's not worth anything to you if your guitar looks good...but sounds not so good, know what I mean?

Like Jenny said, you would save alot more money if you just saved up for a new amp or a new guitar--better tone too!

cheers.

Well, I will have about $900 by the end of the year? Any suggestions on what I should get? I really....really want a real Gibson Les Paul. Could I maybe find one at a Pawn Shop? I am not really interested in alternate brands for this guitar, like ESP, Agile etc. But feel free to recommend some alternatives anyways, I am open to suggestions. BTW, this is is Canadian dollars.
Gibson LP Standard runs at about $2000+ CAD. A LP Studio is generally about half the price (with losses, however).
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
...Esp/ltd gibson shaped gutiars ftw. No joke, I prefer them over numerous les pauls I have played...most likely because I pup swapped, but still, the feeling is alot better imo.

You can always get used man, nothing wrong with getting used. It's sort of a tight situation since most of your tone comes from your amp and if you buy a new guitar with a crap amp, it won't do much tbh.

What do you have right now, as far as whole gear.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
...Esp/ltd gibson shaped gutiars ftw. No joke, I prefer them over numerous les pauls I have played...most likely because I pup swapped, but still, the feeling is alot better imo.

You can always get used man, nothing wrong with getting used. It's sort of a tight situation since most of your tone comes from your amp and if you buy a new guitar with a crap amp, it won't do much tbh.

What do you have right now, as far as whole gear.

lol, a little Marshall MG10. Planning to upgrade real soon though(3 months), maybe to a Marshall combo 50 watt? I like Marshall, my two favourite guitarists use them Slash and Zakk Wylde. Sorry, I am a but of a brand guy, and I lean towards what they usually use lol. LP's and Marshalls.
oh man, dont buy an MG. slash uses a tube marshall.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
oh man, dont buy an MG. slash uses a tube marshall.

Oh, alright lol. Thanks for the heads up. I'll get a tube than. P.S. N00b question. What is the difference in a tube amp form other amps?
Tube amps...well, I can't give you a specific answer for that, but in my opinion...high quality tube amps >>>> high quality solid state amps... and i'm not talking about metal (Alot of metal heads prefer the distortion on SS more than Tube amps.).

They just sound alot better, but for you...considering you like zakk and slash (they use marshalls) Save up for a used Marshall Jcm 800.

You won't be dissapointed! After that, you can buy yourself a nice les paul and nail tones you couldn't imagine.

Also, another reason I love tube amps...

At gigs, you have to pull up the volume quite high to atleast be able to hear yourself.

When you crank on solid state amps, their tone starts to lose definition, it sounds muddy, etc.

When you crank on Tube amps, it just gets better...oh yeah.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
How much will you have to spend on an amp?
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Quote by SGStrummer61
How much will you have to spend on an amp?

Well, I was thinking of buying a standard strat this year and buy a les Paul when I get a part time job.(15 years old). So the standard strat is about $500 CDN w/o tax. I will have $900 give or take a little by the end of the year. So I guess I might have around $300-500 bucks to spend on an amp if I wait a little after Christmas.
I don't like Bigsby's that much, I think they look ugly. FR trems on the other hand.
Well you can try repainting your guitar, or put stickers onto the guitar.

if you are playing at home, a SS is needed, unless you want to kill your neighbours. Otherwise tube amps are generally much desired.
Quote by thedude051
Oh, alright lol. Thanks for the heads up. I'll get a tube than. P.S. N00b question. What is the difference in a tube amp form other amps?

you can get a solid state amp. im just saying dont get the marshall solid state series. i have an MG50. they're just really bad amps, imo.

if u want solid state than check out roland cube or maybe randall.

if u want to spend a little more, check out traynor or peavey winsor tube amps.

if u HAVE to HAVE marshall, then save for a used or new marshall tube.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
you can get a solid state amp. im just saying dont get the marshall solid state series. i have an MG50. they're just really bad amps, imo.

if u want solid state than check out roland cube or maybe randall.

if u want to spend a little more, check out traynor or peavey winsor tube amps.

if u HAVE to HAVE marshall, then save for a used or new marshall tube.

Seconded!!!!! I have the MG100dfx head and cab. I hate it, i've been trying to sell it since about a month and a half after I bought it!!!
I don't mean to steal the thread but Jenny, how are peavey windsor combos? I'm thinking of getting one when I sell my pile of horse shit with marshall written on the front
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
ive got a buddy who swares by them.

a lot of people are comparing them to the marshall tone.
i dont think they have the same crunch. but definately worth a try out if u can find one in a store near u.

so far, i havent found one on display, but it's just a matter of time.
cause they are coming out with a combo version soon too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
ive got a buddy who swares by them.

a lot of people are comparing them to the marshall tone.
i dont think they have the same crunch. but definately worth a try out if u can find one in a store near u.

so far, i havent found one on display, but it's just a matter of time.
cause they are coming out with a combo version soon too.

Cool the store by me has the head and cab there, so I may give that a try sometime this week. I would asume most stores will be ordering a few combos in as they are a pretty good price...
anything will be better than my MG though lol
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15