i was wondering this because i came up with a cool little solo thing i like, but its not on any particular scale or mode, but it sounds good played under an E chord, heres the pattern for the "scale" i made:

|--------------------------------------------------12-13-16-|
|--------------------------------------12-13-15-------------|
|-----------------------9-10-13-14--------------------------|
|------------9-10-12-----------------------------------------|
|-7-10-11----------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------|

thats not the solo, just the notes ive found to work good together under an E chord, if this is a scale already, let me know, and if im just a complete idiot, let me know
Yes. They're called synthetic scales. They may be existing though obscure scales, but you can still name them the "Daniel Thompson scale" or something.

Don't ask me where I came up with Daniel Thompson.

Edit: Just so you know, that isn't a scale. I figured out the notes, and they do not repeat in each octave. If you change that first 10 to an 8, it will be the E Phrygian Dominat scale.

Not to say that you can't play stuff from that thing...
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Feb 13, 2007,
technically you could name it after yourself if you came up with a completely original scale.. one that wasnt used in other countries or anything..

i was expecting to come into this topic and see people shouting no.. im glad im not the only one who knows of synthetic scales (god i love being a music major)
Quote by hippie_cune
technically you could name it after yourself if you came up with a completely original scale.. one that wasnt used in other countries or anything..

i was expecting to come into this topic and see people shouting no.. im glad im not the only one who knows of synthetic scales (god i love being a music major)
But as you can tell, every note is not repeated in each octave, making it not a scale.

Where do/did you go to college for music?
im still going.. Butler County College... its a lil community college in my lil Kansas town. i heard we have one of the best music programs in the state, so i chose to stay in town and go for the two year program. that way when i move outta state and get into a "real" college ill have a good backing behind me.

the band teacher out here knew i played (cause i toted my guitar around campus a few times [a psychedelic painted guitar]) and asked me to try out for jazz band.. i auditioned and he asked if i wanted in.. but i turned him down and said i dont feel that im really that read to play with a big band like that.. ill prolly ask if he still wants me at the begining of next semester.. i really just wanted more scale knowledge and to work on my soloing skills
Quote by hippie_cune
im still going.. Butler County College... its a lil community college in my lil Kansas town. i heard we have one of the best music programs in the state, so i chose to stay in town and go for the two year program. that way when i move outta state and get into a "real" college ill have a good backing behind me.

the band teacher out here knew i played (cause i toted my guitar around campus a few times [a psychedelic painted guitar]) and asked me to try out for jazz band.. i auditioned and he asked if i wanted in.. but i turned him down and said i dont feel that im really that read to play with a big band like that.. ill prolly ask if he still wants me at the begining of next semester.. i really just wanted more scale knowledge and to work on my soloing skills

this is kind of off topis to my question but while its brought up, how much did it cost to go there? when im out of highschool i plan on going to a music school
You can make your own scales in the sense that you have a group of notes which you often play together too. Like if you play minor pentatonic with a major 6 a lot, it can become your 'sound,' even if it is in fact just an abridged version of the Dorian. So if you have a group of notes which you really like, it can still be 'your' scale, even if it has a proper name too.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
The only problem with the idea of naming scales and making them up is i believe that every combination you could possibly make into a scale has already been named (i could be wrong though). Nice little riff you made up TheEyeOfHorus
thanks, ill show you guys the actuall stuff i do with it later, but im about to go on a date so i dont have time right now...
well im not sure how much it cost exactly.. but i did get a lot of financial aid.. which im sure you can get too.. almost anyone can. unless your parents are like real rich.

diving right into a music school may be a little difficult, theyll expect you to be able to read sheet music fairly well, and will want you to have some knowlege of basic music theory (which is alot more in depth than most guitarists look into).. i suggest doin something similar to what im doing if you can. find a small community college (cheap) and take their music program, youll get all the basics and more, plus when you go into the music school youll probably get a better first impression if you have a degree in Music already.

when im done in two years ill have an assosiates (sp) degree, or something.. but that just mean id be able to go to a high school, or lower, and teach music. its my fall back plan.. but id really like to be a studio musician, cause i play like 7 different instruments
Quote by hippie_cune
well im not sure how much it cost exactly.. but i did get a lot of financial aid.. which im sure you can get too.. almost anyone can. unless your parents are like real rich.

diving right into a music school may be a little difficult, theyll expect you to be able to read sheet music fairly well, and will want you to have some knowlege of basic music theory (which is alot more in depth than most guitarists look into).. i suggest doin something similar to what im doing if you can. find a small community college (cheap) and take their music program, youll get all the basics and more, plus when you go into the music school youll probably get a better first impression if you have a degree in Music already.

when im done in two years ill have an assosiates (sp) degree, or something.. but that just mean id be able to go to a high school, or lower, and teach music. its my fall back plan.. but id really like to be a studio musician, cause i play like 7 different instruments

well, my highscool just got a theory class which ill be taking next year, and i can read music but not very fast but ill get it with practice
still.. high skool is very different form college.. walking into a music school and saying "well i took music theory last year" is alot less credible than saying "well i have an AS in Music"
i wouldnt count on that.. taking one calss in high skool really isnt something colleges look at.. if you were to have been in band since say like 6th grade theyd like that alot.. but one class isnt gonna make you stand outta the crowd
If you want to go for it, you might as well try. Don't let your educational aspirations be quashed by someone who can't spell the word "school".
yes because school is sooooo hard to spell.. and taking shortcuts on the internet proves im a retard.. just like how i dont use proper capitalization, and correct punctuation.. boo-hoo

and honestly.. look at my other posts.. skool is spelt right.

im sure you could get into a music school right out of high skool. alot of kids probably do, IM JUST SAYING that youd be better prepared for it and youd thank yourself later if you got the basics down completely.. cause theres a lil saying that goes around the college im at "music majors work the hardest but get the least credit"

... and its true, because you cant really just read this shit out of a book.. you have to practice it and make sure your ear can recognize the difference between say a major 2nd and a minor 3rd, ect... and theres plenty more.. trust me. ive been there and done that.. taken many a test over the ridiculously small matters of theory