I posted a question earleir/ this is what it said:

My class started reading the Odyssey(Book 9) today in class and I didnt understand a word of it. My teacher assigned me a question and I have no idea what the answer is. I read it over(the book) but I didnt really understand. Heres the question

What is ironic about Odysseus's handling of the cyclops situation at the end of book 9?

The answer you guys gave me was that Odysseus said his name was Nobody......etc\\

why is it ironic?
This doesn't need another thread, does it?

I don't mean to be rude.
Quote by Zuka
This doesn't need another thread, does it?

I don't mean to be rude.

i made a new one because if i would have asked tghe wuestion at the bottom of the page, no one would have seen it. as soon as i get my answer ill dellete
Havn't actually read the odyssey. I own the Illiad and have read that but i havn't read the odyssey. With my assumption of Homers writings, i assume that the irony would have something to do with some line Odysseus says, other than that i can't help.
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein
All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.

Quote by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
he says his name is nobody, so when the cyclops is asked who blinded him he says "nobody blinded me" and everyone got a good laugh

or something like that... i read it a long time ago
▲I had a friend once
►He took some acid
▼Now he thinks he's a fire engine
I haven't read that book in a while, so I'm not neccesarily agreeing with their answer (though it seems to be a good one), but if it's right, it's because he is saying that his name is a word that means he isn't in existence, so he is someone, but that someone is no one, I realize that's a little confusing, but it's hard to explain.