Hi, I am playing the song "Smells like Teen Spirit". I have learned the song fully, but I can't seem to get the right sound? So now I am wondering...should I not use a pick? I have an Epi LP 100 going playing through a little Marshall MG10. What settings do you suggest I play at? And what pickup? Neck or bridge? Thanks,
Typical UG answer: It's your gear man. Sorry, you're not going to get hte exact or close to the tone to kurt's.

You can always look at the setting thread ^^^^.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
no no. definitely use a pic. but try using the bridge pickup and get quite a bit of distortion. " D
Just try every effect and option you have on your amp. I just mess around with all my settings and gain what not and find whats good for that song
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
kurt is playing with a lot of corus, so, if you have corus on your amp, turn it to the max.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294480&highlight=Ultimate+Settings+thread
check for Kurt setting on the setting thread ^
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul w/ Killswitch
Fender 12-string Acoustic
Fender Champion300 (to be changed soon to a Tube Amp)
Ibanez TS-9 Overdrive pedal
Boss PW-10 pedal
intro- clean (then goes into distortion)
verse- clean w/ chorus
chorus- distortion
solo- distortion with chorus
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1