Hey, i've got an Ibanez RG470 and as you probably know, it's got a floyd rose bridge.

Problem is, this is my first guitar with a floyd rose and I'm really at a loss as to how my strings keep breaking.

Firstly, I have problems putting them on in the first place, I don't secure them enough at the bridge and they pop out before I can tune it right. It usually takes me at least an hour before i even get close to getting it tight enough.

Next, in the 2 instances where i can actually string it succesfully and tune it up, the string break within 2 days of me putting it on. I've stopped using the whammy bar, since I don't use it much anyway, but it still breaks, and its always the same one that I've changed. Am I doing someting wrong?
it might be a lot of things one of the most common is that with locking trems when people tune they dont take out the screws in the nut and it breaks when tuneing or a day or two later from being tuned take out the screws when u tune
89' fender strat
gibson sg specail with grover tuners
standard tele
ibenez gio bass
takamine eg334sc
72'martin d-15
skbps-45 board, lots of pedals
peavey tripple xxx head w/ marshall cab
could be the angle at which the guitar string passes over the bridge?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
^ do you mean the screws in the back of the neck? or the ones that actually lock the strings in tune? cause i take off the locks of course, when i'm changing the strings.
Which end do you put in the bridge? It's better to clip the ball end and put that in the bridge. There are SEVERAL little steps to restringing a Floyd Rose. Maybe you should look something up, or post you entire process and have people (including me) tell you what you're doing wrong. Make sure it's blocked when restringing!

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Do you leave enough slack in the string so it can be wound around the machine head a couple of times?
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Which end do you put in the bridge? It's better to clip the ball end and put that in the bridge. There are SEVERAL little steps to restringing a Floyd Rose. Maybe you should look something up, or post you entire process and have people (including me) tell you what you're doing wrong. Make sure it's blocked when restringing!

it's an ibanez, so it's probably got an edge pro bridge, which means no ball end cutting
okay here's my whole process, that fails.

1. I clip the ball bearing off the end of the string and place it into the bridge, which has already been loosened, and the locking trems are already off.

2. I tighten the bridge thing, (screw, whatever it is). This is where I think I might be screwing up because it always pops out when I start to tighten the string.

That's pretty much what I do, maybe a few little things that I do subconciously, but I really don't know what I'm doing cause I didn't really find the article here on UG to help all that much.
^ and sorry for the double post, but yes, I did leave enough string to be wound several times around the peg.
Quote by _hero_
^ and sorry for the double post, but yes, I did leave enough string to be wound several times around the peg.

are you sure you should be cutting off the ball ends?
These are my steps when I suit up the ol' Ibanez S470DXQM

FIRST, make sure the fine tuners are turned half way down...That way when you fine tune you can go up or down.

1. Clip ball off and place into bridge. Hold string end in middle of bridge piece and tighten until cannot turn wrnech anymore.

2. Wind string. Place index finger on string to hold it down to the headstock (right of machine head) and wind it up. This is so the string can wrap along the bottom of machine head in a series like pattern.

3. Tune up strings

4. Put locking nuts on and make sure they are tight. Now fine tune at the bridge.
^ i pretty much have that system magikman, but my strings pop out of the bridge when I tighten up the tuners.

^^ and I'm fairly certain I should be cutrting off the ball ends.
Quote by _hero_
^ i pretty much have that system magikman, but my strings pop out of the bridge when I tighten up the tuners.

You pushing the string down all the way?...And with regards with the string breaking...where is it breaking?
i am guessing that your not winding it enought around the tuners.....i have a floyd rose and i have never had problems with breaking strings more than usual.
yes, i'm pushing the string all the way down into the bridge so it can't go in anymore.

as for the breaks, the strings breaking at the bridge.
Quote by _hero_
yes, i'm pushing the string all the way down into the bridge so it can't go in anymore.

as for the breaks, the strings breaking at the bridge.

Well, then the last thing I can conclude is that your bridge has something sharp on it where the string rides...Thats the last thing I can think of man...If you do discover a sharp bridge, sand it smooth...
Quote by _hero_
^ok, ill try all these things

thanks averyone

I wish you luck...Hope it all works out for yeh man