hey, I realize this has probably been asked a million times but I tried the search and didn't come up with anything too helpful.

I have been playing electric guitar for a while and am currently playing bass in a band. I know lots of theory and stuff and can actually play bass, but being a guitar player I have a really crappy bass (made in china $150 style). I am thinking of upgrading in the $500-$700 range. I play stuff like softer chili peppers, (Californication) with some slap stuff (Can't stop), and some heavier led zeppelin style aswell. I know nothing about bass guitars and was hoping for some guidance as to what type I should go for.

Also is $500-$700 gonna make a noticeable difference? (my current bass is an Epiphone Embassy IV with 1 pickup)
I'd probably go with a Fender, Schecter, or Ibanez. The Schecter Stiletto Studio is a pretty freaking sweet bass for your price range. Just get to a guitar shop and see what you like.

On another note, is your username a reference to Reservoir Dogs? Kickass movie.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I would look for something with a P/J configuration on the pickups so that all of those different styles you play will sound right.
right now I am using a Bassman (borrowed from someone), not sure on the type exactly but it sounds fine. I was thinking of getting an amp first, but I figured a nice bass will make playing more enjoyable, where as a nice amp would make it sound better. Right now I'd rather get a new bass than a new amp
and to rooster, I'm not just going by price tag, but I'd like to actually try it out instead of just ordering online
Quote by Mr.Pink
and to rooster, I'm not just going by price tag, but I'd like to actually try it out instead of just ordering online

I can see where you are coming from, definatly, just take a look at the reviews, and if you still are skeptical about ordering online, no problem. I'm just endorsing it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
most of the reviews say that it is a good bass for $120. but if he has a budget of 500 , maybe he should find a good bass for $500.
i think the fender deluxe active jazz will do u the best. the jazz style is perfect for soft chili's sutff, in fact flea uses his fender 1962 on most of their softer songs (including californication). the active side should benefit slap and as for led zeppelin, i hav no clue.

its either that or i'd suggest the p/j special as well.
yeah, it'll hit all of those tones fine, but may be a bit out of your range unless you go MIM on it.
JPJ used a '64 J-Bass and occasionally a '53 P-Bass on all the Zeppelin stuff all the way up to Presence. Then, he started using Alembic.

You can get a used '51 P-bass reissue or even maybe a used 60's J-Bass reissue for that price. As far as the Alembic, be prepared to spend $5k.

FWIW, I got my '51 P-bass for about $500 CDN.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz

FWIW, I got my '51 P-bass for about $500 CDN.

I love those. Is there a picture up somewhere?
Quote by IpwnONBass
I love those. Is there a picture up somewhere?

Unfortunately, no. The bass is not with me at the moment. However, it's a two-tone sunburst one with a white pickguard... it's really beautiful. When I get it with me I'll post pics of my gear on the "show off your bass" thread.

The funny thing about that bass is that it weighs a good 13lbs.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
If you like it, the Jazz Bass 24 should suit you nicely. Active electronics (basslines) and Hipshot tuners.
Quote by IndianRockStar
If you like it, the Jazz Bass 24 should suit you nicely. Active electronics (basslines) and Hipshot tuners.

And Fender JUST came out with a 5-string version, too.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Mr.Pink
what do you guys thing about the musicman SUB?

I've played one. I'm not a Musicman fan, but it seemed like a solid bass, and it had a 3-band EQ like a Stingray (not the 2-band like on a Sterling), but the finish on the bass is an aquired taste. It's almost like a cracked rubber coating. I couldn't tell if I loved it or hated it.

Also, something I don't like about Musicman necks is that they seem to be very 'dry', like they have no finish on them. Again, that's just me.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Mr.Pink
what do you guys thing about the musicman SUB?

It looks awesome, I've heard a lot of good things about it, but it's pretty heavy. Go to the Reviews section to read some reviews and see which bass you like.