Poll Options
View poll results: VOX vs. LINE6
VOX Valvetronix AD120VT
44 73%
LINE 6 Flextone III XL
16 27%
Voters: 60.
Hi there!

I need to buy an amp to go on the road with a cover band. So, it needs to be tough, small and loud enough on stage.. As we'll only do covers, it also needs to be god damn versatile.

I ended up my research with two 2x12" modeling combos:

The VOX Valvetronix AD120VT, with tube preamp;

and LINE 6 Flextone III XL.

Since the price of each is quite similar to me, which one represents the right choice?

Thanx a lot everybody! Rock on!
lol that sucks, if you said line 6 spider i'd say the Vox- but i havnt tried the flextone- although the Vox AD's are meant to be very versatile- people say they can do pretty much anything but metal. Ive only tried Vox in shops a few times, but a friend of mine owns a line 6 spider II
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
by the way.. when you vote, please tell me your reasons...

very grateful. cheers.
The Valvetronix preamp tube is just a marketing ploy, for all intents and purposes. That being said, the Valvetronix AD120VT is leaps and bounds ahead of the Flextone. I haven't been impressed by either Line 6 I've ever played (the Spider II and Flextone III).
Hi, I'm Peter
I own a Flextone III, done gigs with it, and think it's great. Never played the Vox though, unfortunately.
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
Ive played the 15 watt version of the Valvetronix, and Ive played a 50 or 75 watt combo of the Flextone. I think the flextone was better. Its really a lot better than the spider is, and its pretty versatile. I would go with that.
and as with the foot controlers? on stage, these amps are useless without that... take that in mind when voting... i'm thinking about durability, memory banks, display,...

cheers, thanx a bunch
the vox just looks too cool, you can get a better sound out than with the Line 6 but it will do metal-at a push.
If that was me i'd save up a little more i'd get a valve combo and a load of individual effects or maybe a Vox tone lab.
But i've only ever tried the lower end VTs; they were pretty nice. But i'm sure the 120 is alot better. I've never tried a flextone
Your best bet is to try them out head to head with your own guitar and gear etc.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
well i got the ad60 and I love it. Its pretty much the same as the 120 except it only has the one speaker. Ive never tried the flextone but I think you would walk away a happy man if you bought the vox.
I have only played the VOX, I have heard clips of the Line6 and It didn't sound as good. Line6s are great untill they break down in about 4 months XD. You know you're getting something good when you buy a VOX.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
the vox valvetronix firstly has tubes and it has four channels u can save and so uve always got 4 sounds theyre just good for everything EVEN METAL
Quote by Dirk Gently
The Valvetronix preamp tube is just a marketing ploy, for all intents and purposes. That being said, the Valvetronix AD120VT is leaps and bounds ahead of the Flextone. I haven't been impressed by either Line 6 I've ever played (the Spider II and Flextone III).

+1

You will not regret the vox!
I'm surprised that everyone thinks the VT is better than the Flextone.

I've tried both the VT30 and the Flextone III Plus. The VT30 was alright..nothing special. It's higher-gain models were weak. Personally I think the Flextone far outclasses the VT series of amps. It's models are taken directly off of the Line 6 Pod XT/X3 (which, FYI, are one of Line 6's most respected products). Don't let Line 6's crappy Spider amps put you off.

And what's this about Line 6 products breaking after 4 months?! I think Line 6 makes some very good quality equipment. It's just that their Spider amps really give them a bad impression.

Oh yeah about the tubes in the VT. They are preamp tubes placed in the power section. They are more of a gimmick than anything. It adds very little to the solid-state sound of the VT, if any improvement at all.

@guitarmike123: I really doubt adding a distortion pedal to the VT (which is a solid-state, modelling amp) will help it's tone. I tried running a HardWire TL-2 through the VT30 just for the heck of it and oh LAAAAWD the noise was terrible. This probably applies to the Flextone (though I haven't tried personally) and most other solid-state amps as well. I heard the Flextone responds well to OD pedals...but don't quote me on that.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Last edited by HellBoy9393 at Oct 25, 2009,
Jesus..I just looked at the date of the threads and . February 2007???!!!

@jeaf: Don't bump such ancient threads!!
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
You guys just necrobumped the hell out of this thread. Check the OP before you decide to post. How does this even happen?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I just want to point out that the AD120VT is a discontinued model from the valvetronix series. It's totally different to the newer 'chrome' series which a few of you seem to have gotten it confused with.

In my opinion they are far better than the Flextones soundwise. If you get the Vox you should definately get the VC12 foot controller. It gives you total control over the amp.

EDIT
You guys just necrobumped the hell out of this thread. Check the OP before you decide to post. How does this even happen?

Woah didnt see that. How the hell do people do that?
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Last edited by Sampy at Oct 25, 2009,