I was wondering what in your opinion are some of the best normal colleges(Stanford, Duke, Princeton, Florida etc.) that have good music programs?
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
University of Hartford (CT) has a very well-respected music program in the Hartt School of Music, as does SUNY Potsdam (the Crane School of Music).
Hi, I'm Peter
Let me guess: you're a junior and it's time to start thinking about colleges. Well, it's 5:30 AM here and I just found out I have a snow day, so we can have a big long discussion about colleges later today.

BTW, I'm a senior.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Let me guess: you're a junior and it's time to start thinking about colleges. Well, it's 5:30 AM here and I just found out I have a snow day, so we can have a big long discussion about colleges later today.

BTW, I'm a senior.

i thought your username said bang good charlotte at first.
Ahh, it's not 5am anymore....

So, you want to study music, eh? And you want to go to an Ivy/Psuedo-Ivy school, eh? Welp, before I continue, let me tell you that in your list, one of them does not belong, and it starts with an F. If you're from Florida and love the Gators, I'm sorry. It simply doesn't compare with Duke, Stanford, or Princeton.

Now, if you want to get a music degree, why wouldn't you want to go to a true music school?

I do know one top school that has good performing arts stuff: Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. It has a reputation of being a baby MIT, and it is, but when I toured there, they made a big deal about how they had all kinds of music and acting degrees as well. I wasn't a big fan of the school, but it might be worth checking out.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Feb 14, 2007,
Temple University (Philadelphia, PA) has a great music program.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
Quote by gogita21
Temple University (Philadelphia, PA) has a great music program.
I'm pretty sure you're right, but I don't know that Temple is one of the "great" universities in America.

Perhaps that won't matter if you get a music degree.

Edit: Yes, Temple's music school is quite good. It is called the Boyer College of music.
http://www.temple.edu/boyer/

Edit 2: The music scene in the Philly area is pretty good.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Feb 14, 2007,
Discussion topic: "Music School" such as Berklee, New School etc. , or music degree at a "proper" university.

Pros, Cons?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I'm pretty sure you're right, but I don't know that Temple is one of the "great" universities in America.

Sorry, wasn't aware he meant "great" universities--I assumed by "normal" he meant general colleges, not arts colleges.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
Quote by gogita21
Sorry, wasn't aware he meant "great" universities--I assumed by "normal" he meant general colleges, not arts colleges.
He does mean general colleges, just the upper echelon schools like Yale and Duke and such.
University of Maryland has a wonderful music program.

really? because my moms been wanting me to go there since its close to home and cheaper cuz Im a maryland resident. i wanna do computer science/game design and audio engineering so that i can be a code programmer and/or audio in video games.