ok, so... im a decent guitarist. i started playing on my neighbor's strat b4 i havd one to call my own. i first had a gay 3/4 johnson when i was like ten and never really played it. then i started playing when i was like 12 and got a OBEY series squier strat. I thought this was a good guitar and went to a guitar store and didnt even bother to plug it in b4 i bought it. (yes, what a dumbass). and i have a 10 watt Jay Turser amp in shitty condition. so i have been stuck with the squier for over a year now and i want a new setup. my birthday is in June and i want to ask my parents for some new guiitar stuff. but they think that i have the most quality stuff that money can buy....... so i could either get an amp for my crap guitar, OR a guitar for my crap amp. so im guessing i could get a 600$ guitar AT THE MOST. or i could get a nice amp and some pedals and crap. I play rock music,hardcore,metal,thrash,and every once in a while i like to throw in some blues. what guitar do u think i should get and would most suit me? or if u think i should get an amp and wait till Christmas and get a guitar.........what kind? well, im sorry this so long and if me using "b4" bothered u.

thank you in advance.
see if you cant get your hands on a crate 65W and a death metal dist pedal, they make a sick combo. the guitarist of my band uses it and i think it comes to about 450 total. a 30W is alright, but if you ever need to play with a drummer you'll need something a little larger
Last edited by noahray at Feb 15, 2007,
I was in the same kind of "pickle " as you are.
Heres my suggestion;
600% is plenty money to buy a decent guitar, a decent amp, AND a decent pedal.
You should spend about 400$ on the guitar and 200$ on the amp and pedal.
Other way around. $400 on the amp, $200 on the guitar.
in terms of tone, amp>guitar
new amp first. AMP COMES FIRST. With $600, you could spend $400ish on an epi valve junior setup with pedals(someone else will explain that better) then $100 for new pickups on that guitar, and $100 for upgrading either of the two aforementioned things.

edit: then I'll learn how to do math, and give you better advice. Changed the numbers.

also: what kind of music do you play?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Blackouttou
I was in the same kind of "pickle " as you are.
Heres my suggestion;
600% is plenty money to buy a decent guitar, a decent amp, AND a decent pedal.
You should spend about 400$ on the guitar and 200$ on the amp and pedal.

any suggestion on the guitar... i was looking on musicians friend and saw a fender strat for 400$, is that the kkind of guitar im looking for in what i play. or is my style leaning more toward a jackson? thats what I want.
Quote by Sid McCall
new amp first. AMP COMES FIRST. With $600, you could spend $400ish on an epi valve junior setup with pedals(someone else will explain that better) then $100 for new pickups on that guitar, and $100 for upgrading either of the two aforementioned things.

edit: then I'll learn how to do math, and give you better advice. Changed the numbers.

also: what kind of music do you play?

read my original post for what kind of music i play.
oops forgot the links. we play stuff like through the eyes of the dead, as blood runs black, all shall perish, even old killswitch. the tone is unbeatable, it is immense for a 65W and can compete with a Crate G130C head and 412 cab, which our other guitarist uses
Last edited by noahray at Feb 13, 2007,
haha what? youre 13. you can still get a job. work at baseball rec fields in the concsession stands or mow grass in the spring and summer. i mowed grass for $20 a yard from when i was 13-almost 16. do that. dont be lazy. with that kind of money you can get whatever you want by the end of the summer.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Quote by noahray
oops forgot the links. we play stuff like through the eyes of the dead, as blood runs black, all shall perish, even old killswitch. the tone is unbeatable, it is immense for a 65W and can compete with a Crate G130C head and 412 cab, which our other guitarist uses

thx dude i printed the pedal and amp info/
ok, i know i can do odd jobs in the summer and get money but i wasnt thinking about that. i was talking bout working at Mickey D's and shit. but now that you put it that way, i DO know everyone in my community who wouldnt mind helpin me out/
yeah i used to mow lawns and babysit, house and cat sit, and i got a Fender BXR200 with the money. it was about 300 used, saved up for it in about one month over summer. they have a sound clip of that pedal on musiciansfriend, but if you also use the right channels on the amp as well as the pedal you can get the crunchiest tone possible. the pinch harms sound fcuking ridiculous with that combo
Quote by wonder725
Other way around. $400 on the amp, $200 on the guitar.
in terms of tone, amp>guitar

for $200, he wont be able to get a much better guitar

and if youre playing in your room or whatever, you dont need a huge amp.
Quote by suckers
Get a job

lol

Spend it all on the amp and wait for the guitar.
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
I can see it now, in a year we will have kids walking up to girls "Hey baby, my career score on guitar hero is over 3 mill, ooooooh yeeah"

IS THAT SYRUP IN YOUR PANTS OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE ME??!!
Unless your guitar is physically unplayable, get a new amp and some effects if you need to.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by wonder725
He might not need it now but i think it'd be a good investment.

thats true

i only bought my amp because i had to play a show. we played a few shows and then we broke up haha...but now ill have an amp for a while until i need a better one
I drew a picture of someone with the body of a pickle today, is that the same?
Quote by farcry
any day I can help a fellow UG'er with buttcrack issues is a good day to me. Which means today is excellent.

Quote by -February-Star-
That's wierd.

I woke up this morning and some bastard had wrapped his fucking swimming pool around my tree.