Poll: Do you use a metronome?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you use a metronome?
Metronome
86 59%
No Metronome
59 41%
Voters: 145.
Page 1 of 2
I wish mine would give that different sounding tock on the first beat of every measure. I need to get a better one...
yes, i think its almost a necessity.
Originally posted by Mad Marius
You've broken a low E string??? What style do you play, guitar raping noise core?
I never did and i get along just fine. Alot of guys never used them. When it comes to playing, i'm not looking for that 'perfect' everything. Who cares if a few notes are sloppy.
i use one sometimes for practicing scales and other exercises. i always use one when i am recording guitar riffs into my computer. but for practicing songs, lately i find that guitar pro is the best way to go because you can highlight any part you want and loop the playback at any speed. this practice technique is paying off big so far. so yes, i kind of use one.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
Quote by IzRG350
drum machine from effects pedal. Same thing

same here
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
http://www.metronomeonline.com/ FTW!

plus I have a few others, but thats always a start
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
i use it for finger exercise
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

I have a drum loop program I jam with, but for the purposes of the poll, I said Yes.
I have one, cos i know it's important to practice with one, but I don't know what to do with it to be honest. It doesn't click fast enough for me to practice playing faster.

Are they more used for playing scales slower and just becoming more accurate?

I do use guitar pro when learning songs though, so I do use some sort of metronome you could say.
What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet? I'll answer for you. NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS.
- Bill Hicks
Quote by MrAngryEyes
I have one, cos i know it's important to practice with one, but I don't know what to do with it to be honest. It doesn't click fast enough for me to practice playing faster.

I do use guitar pro when learning songs though, so I do use some sort of metronome you could say.

I think the problem you are having is this: You are setting the metronome to say 200 bpm and playing one note per beat (click). Am I right? If I am then this is what you do to go faster. Set the metronome to 100 bpm and hit 2 notes per beat, this is the equivalent to 200 bmp with one npb. If you set the metronome to 200 bpm and hit 2 notes per beat then you will be going twice as fast as 200 at one note per beat. Get it? So just start out doing about 104 bpm with 2 notes per beat and then work your way up. You can also go to 50 beats per minute and do 4 notes per beat and you will be going the same as 200 bpm with 1 note per beat.
I use a metrenome when I'm recording. Never when I practice, but I play with bands a lot.
I play with a drummer a lot, so I've never felt the need to use a metronome.
so with the metronome is there any best way to practice with it or is it all pretty much straight forward?
Quote by Stop Messin'
I never did and i get along just fine. Alot of guys never used them. When it comes to playing, i'm not looking for that 'perfect' everything. Who cares if a few notes are sloppy.

That's a pretty shitty state of mind.
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
I use a metronome a lot, especially when I practice scales and stuff, and also on diffucult guitar solos.
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
Quote by Stop Messin'

why would u want to settle for something less than your best? especially when you know you're doing it. it seems like a lack of determination. but whatever.

for me i use my metrone alot, whether i'm playing guitar or sax, doing scales, or just working on a hard part of a song. i'm really good at keeping beats because my music teacher in my elementary school used this super loud metromone for just about everything.. it got kind of annoying, but it kind of helped too.
My Musical Rig:
Ibanez RG120
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Clone
Marshall MG10CD
Coming:
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Distant Future:
Ibanez S-Prestige S2170FW
I do when I feel like it. If i am practicing scales like mad, then yes, if not, then no.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I probably should, and have a couple times, but haven't got into a routine of it yet.
Quote by MrAngryEyes

Yes because I'm sure you can play scales at 240 16th notes. If you can't then the metronome isn't too slow.

Oh wait, you just don't know how to use one... idiot.
I use a drum machine on my pedal, has about 40 different beats plus a metronome on it with one speed that I don't use. The drum machine I good for learning how to play right on the beat if you can find the right drum beat on it.
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
Quote by Stop Messin'
I used to say that too. I got a metronome last week-end. It REALLY helps improving. I know you won't believe me cause I didn't believe people at first, but try it out... It's worth it!

(yes I do use a metronome now)
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Quote by The way to hate
Yes because I'm sure you can play scales at 240 16th notes. If you can't then the metronome isn't too slow.

Oh wait, you just don't know how to use one... idiot.
That guy is probably picking on 4th notes and he's like "ZOMG I PLAI FASTAR THAT TEH METRONOMZ!!11 HAHA I R GEETAR GODZ!!! " lolll... That's what I think...

---EDIT---
For those who don't know, 4th notes = 1 note per "click"... he probably just doesn't know how to use his metronome correctly... lol
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
never used one, but i should

i jam with my drummer all the time and we're fine
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
ive never used one only because (my teacher, experineced friends ,etc ) have all said that i have good timing ,like it came natural to me and its really like easy for me to keep timing and a beat when im just playin and playing with people, but when i sit with a met. i suck i cant keep the time with it, so my teacher and stuff have told me to just forget about it and work on my timimg and stuff by playin

so i guess its good to use one unless u already have good timing
my gear:
Schecter Damien 6 w/emg's
gibson sg standard
dean performer e acou/elec
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
dunlop crybaby from hell wah
I've been using a metronome since I started like almost a year ago...I like my playing like my vaginas, tight
I have never used a metronome. Started out as a drummer (about 12 years before switching to guitar, but still play drums now). Timing is pretty much an instinct now.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Quote by yawn
No, but I should.

That'd exactly what I thought when I read the thread name. Then again I have no intentions of "shreding" or anything so I suppose I don't really need it. I'm working on my feel and timing though anyways, so it couldn't hurt.
Page 1 of 2