i've got a pair of EMG Hz passives in my guitar, and also an EMG afterburner gain boost. there is a 9v battery in there because the afterburner is an active booster. if i swap the passives for actives, i'm pretty sure it's a simple quick-connect change. my question is, does anyone know if the wiring that's in there now is all set for the new pickups to draw off of the existing battery? or will i have to add another battery?

knowledgeable advice appreciated.. especially from anyone who's done this very upgrade. thanks.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
the Hz's with the afterburner will not sound much different than the active emgs. It might not be worth the trouble to change them
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
it can draw off the same battery, but you will have to do a bit of rewiring and change the pots out and whatnot.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by mattldm2003
the Hz's with the afterburner will not sound much different than the active emgs. It might not be worth the trouble to change them

the afterburner really boosts the noise from the passives. luckily i have a noise suppressor, but supposedly the actives don't produce the noise.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
The afterburner pretty much makes them active, its not worth the trouble to change them. You could take the afterburner off if you had a good amp, I mean Alexi Laiho uses Hz's.
i like the afterburner, and i love the guitar the way it is, but i'm also curious as to how involved the upgrade might be. if it's a simple swap without wiring, then i am more inclined to try it. and if it's not worth it, i would just return/sell the actives.
I think you will still have to rewire the pots, unless you have to do that for the Afterburner and you already did. Im not too sure how the afterburner is installed or how it works, but if you didnt have to replace pots, you will have to for the active pickups.
i would think that if the pots were appropriate for the active afterburner boost, then they would be appropriate for the active pickups, too. i've searched around the web about this, but haven't come up with much. i feel like why would EMG bother to make the passives quick-connect? i don't think they make other passives anymore. the ease of upgrade would be a great way to get people to buy their more expensive pickups.
Since the Afterburner is added to the signal just before it leaves the output jack, the signal from the pickups (unboosted) will be going through high impedance pots (250k, 500k), the signal then goes to the Afterburner and then to the jack. The pots you should of got with your actives are 25k. It's a whole new wiring job.
These go to eleven...