why do some string through guitars have like, uneven hole where the strings go through the body, and others have them in a nice even row, and some in a v shape and others are like completely random??????/ someone help me!!!
Quote by stellar_legs
You know, Jonathan Brandis from The Never Ending Story Part 2 died a few years back.

Guess his story ended.....

BOOM!
because the location of the bridge determines the length of the string, and because i says so
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
wrong forum, but the angle of the string before it meets the bridge effects the tension, which effects the behavior and sustain. It's also an asthetic thing- Some guitar makers think a V shape or a straight shape looks better.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
yeah, but why couldn't they be all in a line, why the odd looking place ment?
Quote by stellar_legs
You know, Jonathan Brandis from The Never Ending Story Part 2 died a few years back.

BOOM!
Now that you think about it... I wonder this myself.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
ahh, i dont get it, why are some completely random though?
Quote by stellar_legs

BOOM!
why can't they just make the holes in order, or like even to each other, i get that the sustain may change a slight bit, but it still depends on how tight you tune it, and what stings ur using, like, the bridge doesn't stop the string, i just pivots it in another direction
Quote by stellar_legs

BOOM!
but the angle that the string is at befor the bridge changes how hard the string is pushing down on the bridge, which affects tension and therefore sustain.
the ones that look random are positioned to that tension in that regard will be as even as possible.

edit: so yes, they could be in a line, but they're not. it's not nessecary and that's why on strats for instance they are in a line, but some guitar makers choose to stagger them to improve evenness.
Quote by Roger_Waters

fuck that police!
can no one help me?
Quote by stellar_legs

BOOM!
yeah, but then i can imagine, that the position of the tuning pegs, with the strings attached would have the same effect on tension and sustain,(obviously) but they go in acending order, or in some cases decending order, and others like les paul head stocks, so they hit the nut, and that changes the tension on the string, i realize that the guages of the strings are different to get differnt tones going up from low e to high e, so why does the angle of the sting before it hits the bridge matter?
Quote by stellar_legs

BOOM!
also, are you saying that a seemingly random placement would result in better sustain then, .....say a rr1 jackson model string through(with the v pattern string holes)? and by seemingly random i mean designed specifically by the manufacturer?
Quote by stellar_legs

BOOM!
i'm getting into building novice guitar building, cause i wanna get an apprenticeship at jackson guitars building them, and i just realized i have no idea why they do that(with the string holes)
Quote by stellar_legs

BOOM!
That's the reason that strats have string retainers, and guitars with Floyds have string bars, to make tension over the nut more even. All of these things effect everything, so changing one of them is never the whole story, but it helps.
the tension thing is a matter of physics...

tension is a force, and a force is a vector quantity. that means it can be split up into components. supposing the tension of a D string is constant, we'll call it Ft (tension force) from the bridge, the tension pulls to the mounting hole with a force of Ft. this can be broken up into X (horizontal) and Y (vertical) components. because a right triangle is made, Fx = Ft*cos(theta) and Fy = Ft*sin(theta) where theta is the angle the string makes with the body. if you move the string closer to the bridge, theta increases, so Fy (which equals the downwards pressure on the bridge) increases. if you move it away, theta decreases, Fy decreases, and the downwards pressure on the bridge decreases.

did you really want to hear all that?

anyway, to the seemingly random placement thing, it might, but it's not always the same. if it looks random, it's probably that way for a reason. It's the most important factor, but it's done to even the pressure across the nut, which among other things decreases sustain.
Quote by Roger_Waters

fuck that police!
ok, so it doesn't matter, like a whole lot then, just minute subtle-ties(sp?) in tension, and pressure?
Quote by stellar_legs

BOOM!
Quote by iforgot539
Blah blah blah

Holy hell! A december 01'er!

I've only read about your kind in the ancient book of Ganesh.

/sleep deprived
Quote by B-Cup666
ok, so it doesn't matter, like a whole lot then, just minute subtle-ties(sp?) in tension, and pressure?

Yeah. It's not a big deal, but that's why they stagger it, if they do.
Quote by Roger_Waters

fuck that police!
ok sweet, thanks,
Quote by stellar_legs

BOOM!