hi. i just bought the Dunlop lemon oil fretboard cleaner and on the label it says i cant use it on maple fretboards. problem is that my guitar has a maple fretboard. i asked the sales guy at the shop and he says it should be fine but is he right? anyway, what is the reason why it cant be used on maple? if i use it will i see change in colour of the wood or something similar?

thanks
I don't know, but I'd follow the label. Better safe than sorry.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
because theres really no point, the maple is finished and u can just wipe stuff off. lemon oil is used to condition rosewood
^^^what he said. maple fretboards are finished. it would just be greasy. even with a rosewood fretboard, take it easy and don't do it too often. it really isnt that necessary more than once every few months maybe.
I remember a mate told me to put fastfret on my guitar (which happened to be maple necked MIA strat) and it felt crap. Maple fretboards don't need that shite.
Not only that but maple fretboards are varnished and oil is bad for it. Only use oils on open grain boards like rosewood or ebony.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Take that stuff back and demand your money back!!!!! If he says he thinks it should still be fine tell him "Okay then, use it on yours." If he says he doesn't have one then tell him he needs to learn about his products a hell of alot better. NEVER put that stuff on a maple fretboard. Now, if you have a guitar with rosewood, I'd keep it.
People like that reall irk me to no end. They don't know jack about some of the stuff they peddle and they think everyone else will agree with them just because they say so. I've been thrown out of one or two stores for telling people not to get something after they said it was okay and I KNEW they were wrong.
You can just use a regular guitar cleaner/polish that you'd use on the body on a maple fretboard.
Hi, I'm Peter
the stuff has to soak down into the fretboard to be effective. rosewood fretboards are porous, which allows them to soak up the stuff where maple boards being finished, it doesn't soak it up.
Quote by fretboarddragon
Take that stuff back and demand your money back!!!!! If he says he thinks it should still be fine tell him "Okay then, use it on yours." If he says he doesn't have one then tell him he needs to learn about his products a hell of alot better. NEVER put that stuff on a maple fretboard. Now, if you have a guitar with rosewood, I'd keep it.
People like that reall irk me to no end. They don't know jack about some of the stuff they peddle and they think everyone else will agree with them just because they say so. I've been thrown out of one or two stores for telling people not to get something after they said it was okay and I KNEW they were wrong.

will do