Hi am just asking a simple question.

I love this song (Freebird) its great and all that and the solo is amazing, but where and why is there a tradition of shouting FREEBIRD at a gig?? was it some sorta ritual at the Lynard Skynard gig's or somthing like that??

Just Curious thats all

the wide knowledge of the pit would be appreciated.

thanks
Very well known song, probably one of their most popular. That and when you're drunk people want to hear some good ol' classic tunes.
They used to play entire sets without freebird and then leave the stage. the crowd would be chanting widly "freebird" and lynyrd skynyrd would come back out onto the stage and ask "wat song do u want to hear?". of course the crowd would scream out "FREEBIRD", so now its a tradition that at any concert of any style someone shouts out FREEBIRD.
Quote by Draken
Look i'm saying if she wore those glasses in bed i'd plough her like an Amish guy sowing his maize crop.

My Gear:
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse Pro
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Cheap classical guitar
Ashton GA-158C
Zoom 505II
Quote by waddogg
They used to play entire sets without freebird and then leave the stage. the crowd would be chanting widly "freebird" and lynyrd skynyrd would come back out onto the stage and ask "wat song do u want to hear?". of course the crowd would scream out "FREEBIRD", so now its a tradition that at any concert of any style someone shouts out FREEBIRD.

ahh yeah thats what i though nice one!!

cheers!!
Quote by waddogg

...and it's considered the ultimate song. 9 minutes long with 6 minutes worth of soloing.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Watch the Porcupine Tree DVD. Steven Wilson is saying
"Ok, and the last song we're gonna play you tonight is -"
then someone yells "FREEBIRD!!!"
"No, not freebird. That's tomorrow all 28 minutes of it"

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
...and it's considered the ultimate song. 9 minutes long with 6 minutes worth of soloing.

This could be considered blasphemous by many but it got a bit irritating after about 7 minutes.
Quote by 7DaySkeptic
This could be considered blasphemous by many but it got a bit irritating after about 7 minutes.

I'd have to disagree.
You know,it's like an idiont shouting at a Skynyrd gig:
"Play some Skynyrd".

And Rossington and Van Zant and all the others look at him and Van Zant says:

"No, we are going to play some polka, idiot".
Lynyrd Skynyrd.

It bothers me when people spell it wrong.

no troubles though.
F.U.B.A.R.
its a ****ing popular song and everyone wants to hear it. im probably gonna get shot for this, but its pretty damn overrated. its good, but not THAT good.
Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army

Quote by #1 synth
i figure as long as its not a puppy it's fair game for my penis.
its supposed to mock bad bands, you yell "freebird" at a band you aren't liking. it started with a radio show host telling people to go to a florence henderson (the mother from the rady bunch) concert and yell it and thats how it started.
Quote by 7DaySkeptic

I agree. It guitar work definitely got a little repetitive. Still, it's a legendary song.

Quote by Bluesbreaker7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Il-sA_NYA

What he said.

Freebird - the mantra of the moron.

He's just ranting shit, half of it didn't even make sense.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Last edited by Smokey Amp at Feb 14, 2007,
I saw a guy play Freebird on an accordion. He was the opener for Ben Folds. What was his name...Corn Mo. What a guy.
Quote by GiantRaven
Thats comedy?

My thoughts exactly.
Quote by primusucks
"i am so proud that by chance i am living in a place that during a territorial divide it got the largest mass of land."

hey texas, nobody cares.
Quote by Bluesbreaker7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Il-sA_NYA

What he said.

Freebird - the mantra of the moron.

Bill Hicks is a genius.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....