I've just started playing guitar and I hold my pick with the thumb, index and middle finger. I've shown people and they say i should only hold it with the thumb and index.

Will my technique hinder my abilities in the future? Iwanna fork out bad habits before ive been playing two years and have to start over.
see if you hold it with your thumb and first finger... that allows your last 3 fingers to be free... for support... or for hybrid picking techniques... in the future... so yes... it will hinder what you can do in the future... thumb + index = good
^ yeah, thumb and index...

if youre pro, it doesnt matter...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Quote by zparticus
see if you hold it with your thumb and first finger... that allows your last 3 fingers to be free... for support... or for hybrid picking techniques... in the future... so yes... it will hinder what you can do in the future... thumb + index = good

+1... good advice.
Thanks duders!

Does anyone know an online resource of scales? I mean like in one place? There's plenty on the net but theyre all scattered i just want an encyclopedia of scales.

Thank you!
If you're playing leads, that's not a good idea. However, for rhythm it doesn't matter unless you're hybrid picking like zparticus said. If you watch the video to "One" by Metallica, you'll notice James Hetfield uses index and middle finger to hold the pick when crunching out rhythms. I figured this was just an "I really don't care it's a video thing" on his part but after watching some live videos I noticed he did it there, too.
Eddie Van Halen actually holds his pick with just the thumb and middle finger...then when he goes to tap stuff, his index finger is free.
For the scale encyclopedia, I have just what you're looking for. Two different ones, to be exact. Shoot me a PM with your email addy if you want and I'll send them to you. They're in .pdf format so if you don't have Adobe Reader, you need it.
well, not necessarily, like dave mustaine and pat metheny... Holding the pick with 3 fingers can help with articularion. Listen to pat metheny's tunes to hear what i mean. But i still think you should do both so you have more stuff to use when the situation calls for it.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account