well. im getting really stressed
iv bein playin 2 years and im not sure whether to be annoyed or not
i have bein attempting to play november rain (g'n'r) and i cant do the solos!!
should i be able to? or should i be kicking myself???

elf
Well, if you've never practiced soloing, why should you be? if you can shred like mad and play most other solos you come across, then yes.
oh dear....
its not like a videogame is the best way to say this
its not like you can unlock abilities and skills for every year you play
you have ot work on things
and even for 2 years its not suprising you cant play them - it might take you ages to develop the skills for it

so bsically

stop being frustrated and focus on scales-speed-accuracy and timing etc
i would say that should be able to play the first 2, but the third one would maybe take a bit longer as it has a few faster bits that would require more attention to nail.
thx guys or girls lol
im just gona start workin on my soloing by slowing things down and learning scales and gradually speeding myself up
btw anybody got any speed exercises that they found helped ALOT?

elf
Chromatic scales helped me a hella lot.
Just going all the way up and down the fretboard constantly just going
|- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -1-2-3-4-|
|- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -1-2-3-4- - - - - - -|
|- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -1-2-3-4- - - - - - - - - - - - |
|- - - - - - - - - - - - -1-2-3-4- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |
|- - - - - - -1-2-3-4-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -|
|-1-2-3-4- - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -|

All the way to the 21st, 22nd, 24th fret (whatever type of guitar you have) and tthen back, build on speed each time.
thanks ninja
im gonna use those to help me warm up everytime and get faster each time
i dont want to be greedy but does anyone have anymore?
because then i could start building a practise list of things to play everytime i warm up

elf
search for steve vai's 10 hour routine
lots of good exercises in there
always use a metronome, and for god's ****ing sake, be patient
Last edited by kyrreca at Feb 14, 2007,
There is nothing wrong with not being able to play anything, no matter what it is and no matter how long you've been playing for. Everyone needs to work to learn songs.

Also, when you play the solo, try to make it sound emotive, rather than some kid shredding through Slash.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Vai's 10 hour workout is a godsend!
Also "Yngwie Malmsteens" shred workshops one and two they're on the power tab archive they might help a lil' they both use the chromatic thing as warm ups but its good enough as an excersise in its self.
Is steve vais 10 hour work out also in video form?

Tabs with nothing to go by ear with aren't always the best.
Quote by kyrreca
why would you need a video for that?
all you need is a guitar and metronome

and you highly recommend it?
Quote by Jackolas
and you highly recommend it?

'yes, it's great for improving technique
you don't necessarily have to follow the entire 10 hour thing slavishly, but find what exercises work for you

and the importance of using a metronome can't be stressed enough
start at a tempo where you are able to play all the notes smoothly
i think a lot of people (i was prone to this in my younger years) are way to eager to increase the tempo, but if you don't play it right, it won't be helpful, no matter how fast you play it
Let me add that you should never be stressed out about playing guitar. Why do you play? For fun, entertainment, chicks, it's not life or death. Ease your mind, Grasshopper.

If you have to "work" on something then it's work.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
kyrreca knows of what he posts. The ten hour workout is INSANE! And he's right again about the metronome...start slow, work yourself up. Get the technique right. If you're playing it sloppy at slow tempos, why would you think it'd get any better when you get faster?
It's a matter of "muscle memory." When you go slow and learn it right, you're training the muscles to do it one way. Then when you speed it up, your fingers are like "Okay, same exact thing, only faster."
It's also a matter of setting goals. If you say "I'm gonna learn this at 100 beats per minute" and you can't execute it cleanly, go back. Find where you can play something comfortably but not sloppy. After doing that awhile bump the metro up 2 and try it. If it comes off clean, go another 2. When you reach the point to where you're "breaking up" and not being consistent, go back 2 or 4 bpm and stay there awhile. Sooner or later you'll reach that goal of 100bpm. And when you do, it'll be clean, precise, and sound perfect.
practice 3 note per string runs up and down the neck. that will help you more than just 1234 because you get the up-down-up every other string. try 1 2 4 and 1 3 4. good luck
Last edited by ROFLMAOBBQWTF at Feb 14, 2007,