Poweramps: Engl E820 2x35 vs Marshall 20/20.

I'm thinking which amp is better. Can you put some comments? Thanks.
Isn't the Marshall solid State? tsk tsk.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
The Marshall runs on EL Tubes doesn't it?

I'd take any of the Marshall rack gear over any other rack gear any day.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Any other recommendations for Valve rack amps to drive a 350 watt Marshall 1960 Cab for the future?
Well, I've just bought it. The Engl 820 2x35. And it is better. Much better. I'm not against the Marshall it is very good, but still it's a bit too flat compared to the Engl. I've just been testing the Marshall jmp-1 preamp into two these power amps and the jmp-1 into the Marshall 20/20 sounds like an SS pedal, while into the Engl 2x35 this jmp-1 sounds like an Engl 620 or stuff, no solid-state sound at all. Besides in the Engl I keep the presense on 12 or less because it doesn't need it that much. Ang the Engls has a Gain knob that makes loudness maybe twice as high and the sound gets really adult.
$490 including shipment and $306 without. I picked it up at the yahoo auction (Japan). In the Noth America a better amp may be the mesa/boogie 50/50 that has a low switch which makes the output be 15 watts for each channel.
Last edited by separanets at Mar 19, 2007,
Quote by separanets
$490 including shipment and $306 without. I picked it up at the yahoo auction (Japan). In the Noth America a better amp may be the mesa/boogie 50/50 that has a low switch which makes the output be 15 watts for each channel.

I wonder if the simul-class does the same.. The only way I'd go mesa is in the instance I bought one of the 2:90s haha.
weight isn't really a problem to me, most of it is the price and the loudness.

I'm looking for a lower wattage poweramp to use for a practice rig in my bedroom. I wanted to just have it in my rack and run it w/ a 1x12 cab. I didn't want to get a 85-90-100w poweramp and have to use a shitload of attenuation (preferrably none at all) to have to get it at a reasonable volume.

the 2:90 had alot of features that I liked, though.
For bedroom practice you migh want to use the Marshall 20/20, but for me, much depends on the style. I have no problem with high gain at quiet volumes, but with crunch and brown blue it's still a problem. Trebles and lows get drasticly down and I need to use an eq to put them back on track. And the tubes are not enough staturated. All this is especially important for the neck pickup, that sounds too dull in such conditions The Engl 2x35 does the job better, but I think the Marshall will also be good at quiet levels apart may be from crunch area. That's why I thought about the old mesa, it has an attenuation switch down to 15 watt and saves the tone.
The 295 Simul Class is also a great poweramp. However I am saving up for my VHT 2:50:2!!!
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.