Hi guys, the time has come for me to start changing the pickups on my ibanez RG321mh. To start with i'm just going to swap out the bridge pickup. I don't have a very big budget, maybe £40, so i'm looking for some suggestions. I play mainly modern rock and hard rock and dabble into a little bit of metal now and again, so i'm looking for something that can handle high gain tones. However i would still like the pickup to have relatively good cleans (Think Alter Bridge etc). Other than looking second hand, i've also come across these Kent Armstrong pickups:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-A-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-HUMBUCKER-PICKUP-OPEN-WPU10_W0QQitemZ270086773140QQihZ017QQcategoryZ22670QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-A-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-HUMBUCKER-PICKUP-OPEN-M215K_W0QQitemZ270086771186QQihZ017QQcategoryZ22670QQcmdZViewItem

I'd like to know if anyone has used these pickups, or has any opinions on them, or any other suggestions.

While i'm at it, would it be simple to rewire these pickups in, because my guitar has some coil tap and different parralel and series pickup configurations?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Also, what does oem mean?
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Last edited by Pete Griffin at Feb 14, 2007,
check out swineshead pickups
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
The reason i want to change is because i've never been happy with the pickups in the guitar, and now i have a bit of spare cash to treat her .

Current amp is cube 60, i have another guitar with a jb in it, and there's so much more definition through that pickup than there's through the ibanez infinitys, even through the cube. I don't know how to describe it, the infinitys sound muddier and almost wooly sounding in comparison.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22

Oem is original end manufacturer.Ya could go for a Bill Lawrence
Jackson kelly Std
fender strat
Epiphone JR
Crate gx-40
2x10 extension cab

I like all types of music.Put this in your sig if your are not narrow minded..
Ok thx for the help, does anyone have any info on those Kent Armstrong pickups?
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

For the moment i'm just looking for a bridge pickup, as i use that the majority of the time.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Also it meantions that the pickups are oem, what exactly does original end manufacturer mean?
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

^ oops, forgot to mention, it must be in the UK, although i have heard good things about the ones from guitar fetish.
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

I've just been looking into the GFS pickups, and i think they ship to the uk, i am just weary about buying them when the pickup i'm looking at (Bridge high output humbucker) works out at about £13 + shipping, which is way cheaper than anything else i've seen. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this pickup or GFS pickups in general?
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

Does that GFS have 4 conductor wiring, because u'll need it if u want to keep the 5-way switch in your guitar. I havn't used GFS but, I use Swineshead and they are awsome and worth paying extra for.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Last edited by chrism3006 at Feb 16, 2007,
^Thanks for pointing that out, the one i mentioned only had 3 conductor wiring. I think i want to keep the 5 way selector so looks like i'm goint to need a 4 conductor pickup. At the moment i'm having trouble finding a relatively high output GFS pickup in the UK, can anyone help?
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

This is four conductor:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/crpafhublbrp.html

^ £12 each excluding shipping.

The GFS pickups sound great, every bit as good as Duncans IMO. They're warm with great drive; my friend's Epi LP Std I tried with a GFS Vintage '59 PAF set was damn nice, the clarity and quality of tone blew away my crappy stock pickups. It even came close to the Gibson '57 classic equipped 'Heritage' guitar a former band member has.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
OK, i'm very interested in the GFS pickups, however after reading reviews on the PAF crunchy, it sounds as if it has less output than a SD JB, although i'd prefer something with at least the same output as the JB. I know they used to sell a crusader pickup, but i can't find any info on it on the guitar fetish site.
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

I know it doesn't make it louder, i was just hoping for it to feel a bit more 'lively' on higher gain applications, as i'm finding the stock pickups feel a bit dead.

So does anyone have any info on the GFS crusader pickup, i can't seem to find it anywhere?
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22