well ...
i wanted to know wht is a fast neck n how is it different from other..necks...
how to make out if a neck is fast or not ..and do all shred guitar have fast necks.?..
which is better bolt on or neck through neck and why?
also is les paul neck a fast one?
generally, fast necks are thinner, and are un-painted (on the back). Most shred guitars would have thin necks (ibanez RGs for example mostly have wizard necks, which are really thin adn fast) Les pauls wouldnt really be considered to have fast necks due to them being bigger and painted, but there are some shredders who use them (Zakk Wylde uses LPs but i think his neck is modded, same with buckethead)
bolton necks are said to have less sustain then thru necks and set necks, bnut if you bust the headstock of a set or thru neck your entire guitar is screwed, but with bolt one, you can replacet the neck
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
what people mean when they say 'fast neck' is it's thin and the finish doesnt hinder the hand moving up and down the neck.

there is no such thing as a 'shred guitar' there are guitar brands that a lot of 'shredders' use because they seem to like the thin necks etc but these players can probably play just as well on any guitar. It's the player, not the guitar, that determines speed.

Bolt-on vs neck through. bolt ons are cheaper and can be replaced easily if a repair is out of the question. Neck throughs have better upper fret access. Some people also say that a bolt on has less sustain but if the neck is set up right there shouldnt really be a noticable difference between the two.

Les Paul, refer to first paragraph. Les Paul necks tend to be thicker but that shouldnt stop anyone from playing fast on it. Its the player not the guitar remember.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
oh k
so in tht case .. a strat neck is fast rite??

also i have a squier strat ......when i bought it ,it had a matt finish but after using it for an year ...or so the back of the neck has become a bit shiny ...
maybe due to rubbing of skin while playing so shud i sand it ?
Last edited by d_jinn at Feb 14, 2007,
its not considered to be a particularly fast neck (there are faster necks) but again it doesnt stop people playing fast on them. Be less concerned about how 'fast' the neck is and be more focused on how comfortable the neck is for you. if you're comfortable you will be able to improve more quickly.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.