i was looking at two guitars one has two emg-hz's and one has an emg-81 and an emg-85. which one would be better for playing metal?
the 81/85 since they are active pickups, which menas you need a 9-volt the power them. but they sound a little better from what i heard.

and i see that you took my advice from the last 500 threads you made.
hz's are 'budget' EMG pickups . A bit like buying a guitar with 'Duncan Designed' pickups. They will be better than your average stock pickups but a 81/85 set will be much better.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Actives always sound like crap. They have no mids to begin with, and when you scoop those out you have 0 tone.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
Actives always sound like crap. They have no mids to begin with, and when you scoop those out you have 0 tone.

NOT TRUE!!

The only problem with active pickups is that they sound shit without a proper, usually tube amp. If you've got one of those, then they ROCK.

Look at Zakk Wylde and David Gilmour: they use EMG's. And how can you say they have no mids? I like the tone. Scooped mids are usually made by the preamp. I don't know any pickups that sounds so scooped naturally.
Actually, they have very little mids. Hence why they are for metal, some of the other emg's have more mids like the 60. If they are your style, then by all means get some emg's. but if you plan on playing anything clean, go with some passives. I've got duncans and to be honest, there isn't a tone that I can't get with them, they are just so damn versatile.
I'm hungry.