I'm looking for a small tube combo that is loud enough to be heard over drums, and would sound good mic'd for the rest of the audience to hear. I am intersted in small amps (i.e. Fender bassman is the biggest I will go), and don't like Marshalls.

I play RHCP, Audioslave, Wilco and originals which don't get any heavier than those. I don't care that Tom Morello and the froosh both use Marshalls, I want my own sound that can still be convincing for those two.

My price cap is $900.
best bet it probobly a fender deville or hot rod and then get an overdrive or distortion pedal to add a litttle more distrotion. the overdrive channel in fenders arent the best IMO so u may need a distortion pedal and that way u can make your own style
well don't knock marshall's just because a lot of other people use them. There's a reason they're so popular. The Vox AC30 (plus an OD pedal) or a Orange Rocker 30 combo may interest you - look for 'em used to make your $900 budget. I'm sure Mesa has some managable combo amps if you look too. There's a bunch of other choices of course, as well, do some reasearch and good luck.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
What do you consider small? The Fender deluxe is 40w, the deville is 60. At 30w the AC30 is smokin loud.

If you can go to $900 I'd take a hard, HARD look at the Zinky Blue Velvet 25w.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Take a look at Laney GH50L or VC or LC30 if you can get hold of Laneys where you are.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
I like the AC30 for a lot of reasons, and I think that when I get my next guitar (likely a vintage SG junior) it would be perfect. Right now I play an Epiphone Dot and an Ibanez JetKing II, both of which jive well with the Fender Bassman and Vox AC30TB models on my AD30VT. I would be happy with either of those, but I was woderring, which of those two has more clean headroom?

I like to get my overdrive from a pedal, so the quality of the particular high gain channel doesn't bother me too much (although I do like amp distortion for recording overdubs I like to use a pedal for more "on the fly" tweakability)
That Bassman will KILL a drummer.

Any valve combo from around 15 watts will get over a drummer, the rest is upto you
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i think the general rule is that a 2x12 tube combo is big enough for gigging...but i'd still rather use a 4x12 stack
Quote by Inahrima

Kirk: you know what would be hardcore?
James: what?
Kirk: metallica nail polish!
James:

Quote by grimreaper65

'Scuse me, i'm going to go listen to some black metal bands sing about black people. Then some grindcore about coffee.
Quote by R_H_C_P
That Bassman will KILL a drummer.

Any valve combo from around 15 watts will get over a drummer, the rest is upto you

not true at all, from drummers ive played with

have you heard loud drummers on tama grandstands or pearl masters or mapex mars+, my drummer is louder than my 50watt cranked at 7.

not saying your drummer is like that, but some drummers and kits are murderously loud not mic'ed up
Quote by wylde_guy
i think the general rule is that a 2x12 tube combo is big enough for gigging...but i'd still rather use a 4x12 stack

People gig with the Blues Jr.

$900 is a nice budget for a "small" tube amp. I'd look into the Rivera Pubster/Clubster. Powerful little amps with great cleans and a convincing Marshall-like drive channel.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Keef-is-king
I like the AC30 for a lot of reasons, and I think that when I get my next guitar (likely a vintage SG junior) it would be perfect. Right now I play an Epiphone Dot and an Ibanez JetKing II, both of which jive well with the Fender Bassman and Vox AC30TB models on my AD30VT. I would be happy with either of those, but I was woderring, which of those two has more clean headroom?

I like to get my overdrive from a pedal, so the quality of the particular high gain channel doesn't bother me too much (although I do like amp distortion for recording overdubs I like to use a pedal for more "on the fly" tweakability)

You can't go wrong with either the Bassman or the AC-30. Those two are built for cleans, loud cleans. You can get a overdrive and/or distortion pedal for that extra crunchiness that you may want. I would save a little more if I were you and get either, depending on your tone taste. The AC-15 is fine but what if it's not loud enough later on? Also as far as tone, the AC is a bit more chimey than the Bassman. Good luck on your search!
Just buy my Traynor YCV50 Blue. Awesome amp, gigs just fine at 50 watts. Be perfect for your style of music also.

Then spend the rest of your money on something else.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
I'd say the Laney LC-30, or if you want a bit more drive - VC-30. They're very nicely voiced amps, and very easy to carry around. I actually prefer the cleans on LC to teh famous ultra awesome Fender sound, but of course that's a matter of personal preference. If you do get a chance, give them a try though - they deserve that much!
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Keef I saw a few used AC30's in the shop for around $600 if you want to check those out.

And congrats on the tube amp can't wait till I can afford one for myself. You Epiphone Semi hollow will sound great through it.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
would i be able to get a small tube amp for around 200-300 dollars?

i play more heavier stuff, and i would like to buy some pedals, but people are saying that it would sound like shit if i got pedals with my current amp

Gear:
Ltd Viper-1000 Deluxe
Shittone i mean silvertone revolver
Cube 60

Originally Posted by sendmeapick
you pick squires over gibsons?

thats like michael jackson over jessica alba
Sure. Fender Blues JR run around $300 used, the Pro Jr about $200 or so. If you're considering a 15w or so tube amp the AC15 is great but for good tones and investment I'd go with a silverface Fender Princeton.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Don't mean to stray from the topic too much but what size tube amp is enough for medium gigs and a band?

15 watts? 30?
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

I'd say 15 might be a tad low... 30 would be plenty, though.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by davedoom
^thats some nice setup there!

Thanks, man!

Quote by ar73m
I'd say 15 might be a tad low... 30 would be plenty, though.

That's how I feel. I know some folks gig with 15W amps like the Blues Jr., but 30W would probably be my minimum. Especially if you want to have a little clean headroom.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Keef I saw a few used AC30's in the shop for around $600 if you want to check those out.

And congrats on the tube amp can't wait till I can afford one for myself. You Epiphone Semi hollow will sound great through it.

hmmm... tempting.... thanks Shad, I'll go see what Parkway has, I know they haven't been able to move that one new AC30 for a long time, so the used ones will probably be there for a while!
would the blues jr handle a variety of music?

the cheapest one i saw awas 400 dollars, and the reviews said it could not get a very good overdriven tone.

Gear:
Ltd Viper-1000 Deluxe
Cube 60

Last edited by _guitar_hero_ at Feb 15, 2007,
Quote by _guitar_hero_
would the blues jr handle a variety of music?

Define "variety."

It's a small, one-channel amp that's well suited for classic rock and blues. You can get more out of it than that with the right pedals, but your clean headroom is going to be limited if you're doing stuff like jazz.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Define "variety."

It's a small, one-channel amp that's well suited for classic rock and blues. You can get more out of it than that with the right pedals, but your clean headroom is going to be limited if you're doing stuff like jazz.

i want something that can play metal, cause metal is the majority of the music i play, but also has nice full cleans.

Gear:
Ltd Viper-1000 Deluxe
Cube 60

You can find better amps for metal. Maybe look into the Ashdown Fallen Angel or a Randall.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
is there any for under 300 dollars?

Gear:
Ltd Viper-1000 Deluxe
Cube 60

Quote by _guitar_hero_
is there any for under 300 dollars?

The Blues Jr is $400. Your best bet is looking used.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I know the blues Jr. is around $300 used in our guitar shop and the fallen angel was around $400 new so you could probably get it at $300 used.

Does anyone have comments about the Crate Palomino (sp?) amps I saw some in a guitar center and they seemed pretty well priced.

Sorry I stole your thread a bit Chris, keep adding comments on Keef's topic if you have any.

i can play metal with my Blues Jr. only with my squier and ibanez though. only through my metal muff...
Dude, just save up till you have enough money to where you can find an amp that you think will last you a long time. Long sentence, but true. Its worthless to have an amp for 2 years, then just sell it for a new one.
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Does anyone have comments about the Crate Palomino (sp?) amps I saw some in a guitar center and they seemed pretty well priced.

We've got the V16 in the house. It's a nice amp. Kinda like a higher gain Blues Jr. with lesser reverb. Got a better deal on it used than I've seen for the Fender, which is why I got it. It's my son's, and he's real happy with it.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.