I'm trying to get an overdrive sound that has a nice sweet mid range while still sounding full and clear. However my Hot rod Deluxe isn't giving me that. Its overdrive is a little too muddy and harsh. I've tried eqing it and it still won't give me that sound. Would getting a new speaker help me stop that? Should I get new tubes? Both? What should I do?!
perhaps an EQ pedal would do the trick. You're amp probably only has low mid and high and most EQ pedals have much more options. (low-mid, high-mid, precense etc)
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
I have one as well and honestly you're better off getting an overdrive pedal to go over top of the clean channel. Something like a tubescreamer will do the trick (or if you're willing to spend some more cash, get a maxon).
My Gear

72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender GA-43SCE Acoustic
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DS-1
Boss TU-2
Danelectro Tuna Melt Tremolo
Ibanez TS9
EHX Nano LPB-1

Member #21 of the Fender Armada
Quote by The4Train
I have one as well and honestly you're better off getting an overdrive pedal to go over top of the clean channel. Something like a tubescreamer will do the trick (or if you're willing to spend some more cash, get a maxon).

Would the Visual Sounds Jekyl & Hyde work?
Quote by thebrewfan
Would the Visual Sounds Jekyl & Hyde work?

The OD side would, yes.
The dist side (from what you have said) may be too harsh for you, but I dont know.

Also, to what someone said above....I thought the Maxon was cheaper than the Ibanez tubescreamer?
Quote by Hakanku
The OD side would, yes.
The dist side (from what you have said) may be too harsh for you, but I dont know.

Also, to what someone said above....I thought the Maxon was cheaper than the Ibanez tubescreamer?

Well the distortion will be ok because I'll use it for distortion (i.e. big wall of sound choruses) but I need a smoothe sweet sounding overdrive instead of this thick muddy one.
OD's on Hot Rods are useless, it's a widely known fact.

You can use an OD on the clean channel, works amazingly. Or you can change the valves too I think to make the OD channel sound nice.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Hakanku

Depends on what type of tubescreamer you're talking about. An Ibanez TS9 is $100, while a Maxon OD9 is $150. Also there is the Ibanez TS808 which is $169, as well as the Maxon OD808 which is $135.
My Gear

72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender GA-43SCE Acoustic
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DS-1
Boss TU-2
Danelectro Tuna Melt Tremolo
Ibanez TS9
EHX Nano LPB-1

Member #21 of the Fender Armada
Quote by R_H_C_P
OD's on Hot Rods are useless, it's a widely known fact.

You can use an OD on the clean channel, works amazingly. Or you can change the valves too I think to make the OD channel sound nice.

Yeah I think im gonna do that. But can I get the same amount of gain as my overdrive channel from saaay, a TS-9 or the OD side of the J&H?
Hot Rods can be modified to sound a lot sweeter than they normally do. They also benefit mightily from speaker upgrades.

Otherwise, it's like the other guys said, use a pedal and the clean channel. Don't know just how much gain you need, but experiment, I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem.

Ron
Quote by thebrewfan
Yeah I think im gonna do that. But can I get the same amount of gain as my overdrive channel from saaay, a TS-9 or the OD side of the J&H?

Im pretty sure you could get the same amount of OD from the Jekyll...im not too sure about the Tubescreamer though...it isnt really used as an OD that much nowadays, most people use it as a booster more than anything, but they do sound sweet

I would recomend the Jekyll.....just cos im biased and am going to get that pedal, that way, you can get a relativly light OD (or heavier/more gained OD if you dial it in that way) and if you want a more distorted chorus you can kick in the hyde side, and you'll have both the dist and OD running at the same time (which is meant to sound real sweet)

Once again IMO
Get the Jekyll & Hyde, you won't be dissapointed.

I'm using mine on my solid state modelling amp atm and am enjoying the tones I can get, it would sound even better on a Fender valve amp.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700