im a beginning guitarist and was wondering how to figure out what scale to play over simple chord progressions. i know the basic scales pretty well, but never learned how to use them. i guess im just askin for some basic theory.

if there's a site i should look at, please direct me there

i appreciate the help.
If you want to play over a chord progression like, for example:

D C G A#

Basically just look at the root notes of each chord and play them in ascending order, like so:

G A# C D

That's the first 4 notes of a G Minor Pentatonic scale, so you can use that scale to solo on.

That's the simple way for me, look at the roots and link them to a particular scale. Of course there's many more complex (and accurate) ways to look at it, but when I was a beginner I found that easiest.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
^^ So give me the link to were we can see the scale to use, around the 12th position...
www.Savetoby.com

Help Save Toby By Clicking Link Above!!!!!
Quote by duncang
If you want to play over a chord progression like, for example:

D C G A#

Basically just look at the root notes of each chord and play them in ascending order, like so:

G A# C D

That's the first 4 notes of a G Minor Pentatonic scale, so you can use that scale to solo on.

That's the simple way for me, look at the roots and link them to a particular scale. Of course there's many more complex (and accurate) ways to look at it, but when I was a beginner I found that easiest.

That's not exactly brilliant advice. Chord progressions will always fit into one key, even if some of the chords in the progression are not consistent with the root note. Let's take A Major for example. Now, you could have the progression:

A - C#m - D - A

This would still be in they key of A Major and you could solo using A major scales accordingly.

The way Duncang described only requires root notes which would mean you could play any type of scale that's tonally in key with the note A i.e. A Maj, A Min, A Pentatonic etc.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."