I'm looking for a decently priced Les Paul Custom styled guitar in white with bindings in the price range of $1000-$2000 and i've stumbled accross these two guitars.

Problem is I can't decide on which I should get.

ESP Eclipse-II

Pros: Thinner body, which makes for lighter weight and easier stage maneuverability. Apparently the neck feels alot faster than that of an Epiphone or Gibson.

Cons: No pickguard (and i don't know if it's possible for me to install one), comes with EMGs which I don't really prefer for the kind of sound i'm looking for, and I don't really feel like paying the extra money for. Not made in USA.

Epiphone Elitist:

Pros: Comes with gold hardware, pickup covers and black pickguard. Aesthetically ideal for what i'm looking for. About 300 cheaper than the ESP, so I could use that money to buy some Seymour Duncans. Made in Japan, which is alot better than the chinese or korean factory produced stuff.

Cons: Thick bodied, thick necked, bulky.
I would get the elistist, it's really not that heavy and the neck isn't that bad it's quite comfy plus you can get the pickups you want and it looks better in my opinion
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
The Eclipse-II FM comes with Seymour Duncan JB/'59 combo... But it's not white.

I'd take it over the Epi anyday, even though that's an Elitist you're considering... It's just a creaming guitar.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Quote by Adio_stack
I would get the elistist, it's really not that heavy and the neck isn't that bad it's quite comfy plus you can get the pickups you want and it looks better in my opinion

I have the low grade Epiphone Les Paul Custom right now. Is it about the same weight as that?
Epiphone hands down
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

ESP by far. Its pretty much like a Gibson Les Paul, if not better.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
What sorta music do you play? If you like metal and hard rock then the ESP imo.
If your playing punk rock then, i guess the epi.

but there again, with epi you get to put inwhat u like so.

i say epi, unless you play metal.

As a final note, you DO get what you pay for, i imagine the ESP to be supirior quality to the Epi.
Another tidbit of info, there are about 5 different models of the EC available in the US. You can get pretty much what you want out of them.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

Quote by CraigKing
What sorta music do you play? If you like metal and hard rock then the ESP imo.
If your playing punk rock then, i guess the epi.

but there again, with epi you get to put inwhat u like so.

i say epi, unless you play metal.

As a final note, you DO get what you pay for, i imagine the ESP to be supirior quality to the Epi.

I don't play alot of metal. I'm in an experimental rock group and i'm currently using an orange AD30 with 1x12 orange cab. We sound kinda like Radiohead, Mars Volta, etc. And I also play alot of blues.

As for the ESP being superior quality, i've heard some things about horrendous craftsmanship coming from those guitars, and apparently they're produced in Korea or something, despite the huge price gap.
Quote by Garu
I don't play alot of metal. I'm in an experimental rock group and i'm currently using an orange AD30 with 1x12 orange cab. We sound kinda like Radiohead, Mars Volta, etc. And I also play alot of blues.

As for the ESP being superior quality, i've heard some things about horrendous craftsmanship coming from those guitars, and apparently they're produced in Korea or something, despite the huge price gap.

only the esp ltd's are made in korea i think
I don't like as i lay dying
LTDs are made in Korea, ESP in Japan. As like any company, they will have a few slip ups and make some bad guitars, but overall their craftsmanship is phenomenal, I couldn't be much happier with my current ESP LTD which was $660 USD and it is the best guitar I have played so far. Get the ESP man, you won't regret it.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

Quote by Garu
ESP Eclipse-II

Pros: Thinner body, which makes for lighter weight and easier stage maneuverability. Apparently the neck feels alot faster than that of an Epiphone or Gibson.

Cons: No pickguard (and i don't know if it's possible for me to install one), comes with EMGs which I don't really prefer for the kind of sound i'm looking for, and I don't really feel like paying the extra money for. Not made in USA.

Epiphone Elitist:

Pros: Comes with gold hardware, pickup covers and black pickguard. Aesthetically ideal for what i'm looking for. About 300 cheaper than the ESP, so I could use that money to buy some Seymour Duncans. Made in Japan, which is alot better than the chinese or korean factory produced stuff.

Cons: Thick bodied, thick necked, bulky.

The ESP has a thinner body, has body contours (more comfortable to play), and a contoured neck joint that makes upper fret access much easier than any other Les Paul-style guitar. ESP necks are also known for being very fast compared to other guitars. I know they are on both my LTD and ESP.

It would be possible to install a pick guard easily enough by drilling 2 small holes. I'm not sure if a standard Les Paul guard would fit right off the bat, but should be fairly easily to fit (I had to custom-fit the chrome pick guard fit for Gibson to correctly mount on my Agile). As for pickups, you're fully prepared to replace the crap pickups in the Epiphone (yes, they may be «USA Gibson», but no USA Gibson comes with those pickups, and they're not much better than the standard Chinese Epi pickups) with Duncans. Why is it a huge issue with this guitar? You can easily sell those EMGs for more than what a new set of Duncans would cost.

And also, ESP are made in Japan, not Korea. Only LTD likes are made in Korea and Indonesia. ESP Standards are made at the same facility that produced ESP Custom Shop models.

As for the Elitist, it's a good guitar too. And it's a production line guitar just like the ESP, and just like USA Gibsons, for that matter. There's nothing 'special' about it's manufacturing that makes it any different from the ESP. And Elitists aren't built by Gibson or Epiphone, but ghost-built by some 'unnamed' major Japanese guitar manufacturer that also produces the Orville brand for Gibson. For all we know, ESP could be the ones producing them, although I suspect (due to the more recent lawsuit issues between ESP and Gibson) that it's probably more like Ibanez or Greco.

Now, my opinion, having played both those guitars, is that the ESP is a far superior instrument in every way and easily worth the extra $300. It's construction is solid, it sounds amazing, and it's got incredibly easy upper fret access, unlike Les Pauls. It would be my choice with the Elitist being in a distant second. But in the end, they're both good guitars.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
^Wise words from a wise man. Listen to him, he knows his shit.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
Line 6 Spider II

ESP, and i hate when ppl compare their LTDs with original ESP guitars. ESP are totally different.

Anyways ESP is the best one in this situation even though i wouldnt mind the epiphone due to your style but the ESP of course looks much more wicked. like crunch said, emgs are expensive and if u sell them u can get something different.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Thanks alot guys. I wasn't aware that the ESP was made in Japan. I could definatley sell the EMG pick-ups to a friend and pick up a pair of SDs. I've personally never tried the ESP, so I was going by specifications I read online. I'll go down to the shop and compare the two, but now i'm definatley leaning more towards the ESP. The pickguard shouldn't be too challenging to install, and my local music shop just had a huge price dip in the ESP Eclipse-II series. (from $2100 CAD to $1500 CAD)
Are people seriously saying Epiphone? He's talking about an actual ESP, not an ESP LTD. Go with the Eclipse, it's better in almost every way. And I think it looks much better without a pickguard.
I don't understand how this is even a contest.

ESP smokes the Epi.
It's true, this stuff I make up.
~Dom~
Quote by sylent
ESP, and i hate when ppl compare their LTDs with original ESP guitars. ESP are totally different.

Indeed. That's because people are always using ESP and LTD names interchangeably. Or calling guitars their ESP LTD Model X. There's no such thing. ESP and LTD are two different entities, just like Gibson and Epiphone are 2 different entities, even though the 'lesser' companies are owned and operated by the larger company and make cheaper models of the same guitars. By that same token, you could use the names Schecter and ESP interchangeably too, since they too are both owned by the same parent company, even though both are operated independently.

Quote by Garu
... and my local music shop just had a huge price dip in the ESP Eclipse-II series. (from $2100 CAD to $1500 CAD)

Really? Where do you live? Our local Gibson dealer just recently picked up ESP guitars as well. I know they sell the Elitist Les Paul for $1499 Cdn (although you can probably knock them down a couple of hundred bucks). I inquired about that very Eclipse (in black) and they want $2500 for it. I knew it was overpriced (all their list prices are), but I had no idea there were Canadian dealers offering ESP Standard series that cheap.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
epiphone elitists ftw!! the lp custom is pretty much what i have, except even better.... i have a standard and i love it... much better than low end gibsons (lp studio)... i dont have to much experience with the ESP, but i believe the elitist would be a great choice
The ESP Eclipse-II FM comes with Seymour Duncan pickups, get that one. The finish looks vey nice, unless you ablosutely insist on getting a white guitar.
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
Indeed. That's because people are always using ESP and LTD names interchangeably. Or calling guitars their ESP LTD Model X. There's no such thing. ESP and LTD are two different entities, just like Gibson and Epiphone are 2 different entities, even though the 'lesser' companies are owned and operated by the larger company and make cheaper models of the same guitars. By that same token, you could use the names Schecter and ESP interchangeably too, since they too are both owned by the same parent company, even though both are operated independently.

ya, thats totally true mayn. and so i think they should start saying LTD since it will prolly confuse people out there. Like "I got this ESP for 700$" of course people will trip and kill for that price of a original ESP brand new, and later notice or prolly not even notice its not a ESP and maybe someone more experience or prolly even a freshmen in guitars will say, "It says LTD" and thinks the person is ripped off. I do think people out there that could/will happen to them. People who dont use internet that is but who doesnt these days....
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.