i love it lots! but it came in the mail with roundwound strings. sounds nice, but im afraid of the strings eating up my fretboard. i went to a local guitarshop to ask about strings, and the guy there said i shouldnt have anything to worry about, because on a fretless neck the tension given by pushing down the strings is spread out over a larger surface area than on a fretted. wondered if u guys had anything to say about this? would flatwounds be wise?
i need to get a better signature.
Which one did you buy? Roundwounds should be fine, they will eat your fretboard faster than roundwounds but there shouldn't be any noticeable grooves or anything any time soon.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Roundwounds should be fine, as long as you don't do crazy vibrato up and down too much(perpendicular to the strings) you do it along the string like you would on a violin.

It also depends on the fretboard material and if it is finished or not, if it is lacquered/varnished or epoxied it is far stronger.

But if its uncoated(which I think yours is) it will wear far more, just don't go crazy on it and it will be fine.
Last edited by thedonutman at Feb 14, 2007,
To me, fretless without roundwounds is doing yourself out of the gorgeous tone! it wont cane the fingerboard any time soon, as said, but you are losing half the tone in my opinion
Quote by Applehead
To me, fretless without roundwounds is doing yourself out of the gorgeous tone! it wont cane the fingerboard any time soon, as said, but you are losing half the tone in my opinion

did you mean fretless without roundwounds, or without flatwounds?
i need to get a better signature.
flatwounds FTW
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
When I bought my fretless, I put Rotosounds on it (a la Jaco). They did really start digging into the fretboard. For some reason, the fretboard started drying out a bit, too. The string started actually reshaping my fretboard (there were grooves where the strings were).

I took the neck to a local luthier and asked him to epoxy coat the fingerboard (once again, a la Jaco). He did it for $50, and now it's amazing. He sanded the neck, giving it it's proper radius, and applied the epoxy. The strings barely wear the epoxy, let alone the wood, and the bass I have sounds so much like Jaco's it's scary. Or maybe is it the way I play it?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by MATTTHEMOP
did you mean fretless without roundwounds, or without flatwounds?

sorry i mean with them. basically, get some flatwounds !!
I say TRY flatwounds. If it makes no difference on the damage or you dislike the tone then you can go back to roundwounds.
I'm considering switching to roundwounds for my fretless. I get a pretty similar sound, plus I can do better slapping and popping.

I almost typed "pooping," and I laughed at that. Is this bad?
Quote by Hergiswi

I almost typed "pooping," and I laughed at that. Is this bad?

Not at all
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Personally I would (and do) stick to flatwounds. Roundwouds are all well and good on a fretted bass, but half the point of a fretless is to get that mellow double-bass-esque sound.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Fett13
Personally I would (and do) stick to flatwounds. Roundwouds are all well and good on a fretted bass, but half the point of a fretless is to get that mellow double-bass-esque sound.

Well, yeah, but I'll be the first to admit to buying my fretless solely to have it sound like Jaco, and his tone was pretty much the opposite of a mellow double bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
To be honest, half of why I want to play fretless is the sound. The other half is to get access to more exoctic notes. And play in more estern scales.

So remember, there is more to playing a fretless than jsut THAT SOUND!
Quote by Fast_Bear
To be honest, half of why I want to play fretless is the sound. The other half is to get access to more exoctic notes. And play in more estern scales.

So remember, there is more to playing a fretless than jsut THAT SOUND!

But how I loves the sound so...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Yeah, I personally like both sounds. With the flatwound, you get a nice, low sound. With the roundwounds, you get a somewhat-low sound while being able to slap and such. However, either way, you get the ability to perform sexy slides, which is my personal favorite perk. =D
When I play Bass I use "effects" Tom Morello style. Such as muting and feedback.

One of the effects I want to do on a fretless is when you barre the highest notes you can quickly reach on the D and G strings of a fretless and do a really quick slide down over 3 or 4 notes.

I love that sound. D: And I can't do it on fretted!
flatwounds sound hella pretty. i have them and still manage to make it sound jaco-ish.
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
What about using roundwounds and rolling back on the treble/tone? Or even soloing the neck pickup?

I always thought it's easier to make a roundwound sound like a flatwound then make a flatwound sound like a roundwound.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
What about using roundwounds and rolling back on the treble/tone? Or even soloing the neck pickup?

I always thought it's easier to make a roundwound sound like a flatwound then make a flatwound sound like a roundwound.

That's what I tend to do if I'm trying to get a low bassy sound, just turn up the neck pickup. Then just turn up the other one if you need more treble. =D