Alright im a little confused on how a capo works. maybe you guys can help.

so i was lookin at this song and it says that a capo is placed on the 2nd fret. i know what a capo is and everything, but what i dont understand is how you would play something like this:

-0-2-2-0-2----
-0-2-2-0-2----
-0-2-2-0-2----

if the capo is on the 2nd fret how do you play the open strings? this is probably a stupid question but if i dont know then i need to ask so dont flame me.

thanks
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
you dont do anything different....you just play the string as if the capo wasnt even there.
Gear:

1979 Ibanez Studio
2 Fender Squier Strats
Ibanez X-Series Bass
2 Nylon Acoustics
1 Steel Acoustic
Fender Champ 300 Amp
Peavy Bass Amp
Roland Space Echo
the open strings would acctually be the 2nd fret and the then 2nd fret would acctually be the 4th
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
alright that helps, thanks
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
Actually this is a pretty good question. I used to get confused with this too. I mean I don't have a capo, but I know how to use one.

Say this is a song .. without the capo on the 2nd fret

-4-4-4-4-6-
-4-4-4-4-6-
-2-2-2-2-4-

this is what it would be with the capo on the 2nd fret
-2-2-2-2-4
-2-2-2-2-4
-0-0-0-0-2

do you kinda get it?

like .. when it says "notes reletive to capo" means like you just play the song .. but u act like the capo isnt there .. I'm kinda havin a hard time tryin to explain it myself, but, I hope you get it?

Sorry if I didn't help. I tried tho
The purpose of the capo is to make a song in a sharp or flat key more user friendly for the guitar. If the song your looking at says capo 2nd fret then make your chord 02202 the same way you always do... your fingers will be on the fourth fret... the capo keeps you in key.
yep this helps. thanks guys
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
I suppose an easier way of putting it would be that the capo becomes the nut of the guitar, and the fret's after it become fret 1, 2 and so on. That make it sound easier?