Alright guys,
Im a begginer guitar player, im 17, ive been playing for a 2 months consistently now. So I wanted to know what the differences are between getting a generic starter guitar and an esp standard for example... Other then looks, what are the other major differences? are the sound differences really that major?

Im an idiot and I just want to gain some info about this topic, to see if I should get a better guitar that would live with me for a year or two, or just use the one I have. Alonge with my "crappy" guitar, I have a Roland Cube 30X

Please help me!!!

P.S I like most styles of metal, especially thrash.
Last edited by nizorox at Feb 14, 2007,
Sounds, looks, stability, overall quality, and durability are all things that play a role when considering guitars
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
The starters are made out of cheaper materials (agathis for example). The electronics are usually cheaper (switches and tone pots will give out soon). They will also have cheap pickups that are prone to muddiness feedback and hum.

Most of them will also be harder to play, due to rough frets and poor factory set ups.

For a "nice" guitar you need to spend about 500 USD
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quality of construction is the biggest difference.
Starter guitars are often multiple plyr layers of wood, whereas a quality guitar would gnerally have 1 solid piece of wood for the body, preferable quartersawn fort stability. This would increase resonance and sustain through the body.
Also, fretting jobs on starter guitars can be pretty bad. And then there's pickups....Tuners....electronics...
Lots of things.
Think of it like buying car-all cars will drive you somewhere. It's just some look better, some are better at going fast, some are good for offroading, and some are just there to get you to a destination-nothing fancy about them.
Quote by hamish5178
The starters are made out of cheaper materials (agathis for example). The electronics are usually cheaper (switches and tone pots will give out soon). They will also have cheap pickups that are prone to muddiness feedback and hum.

Most of them will also be harder to play, due to rough frets and poor factory set ups.

For a "nice" guitar you need to spend about 500 USD

You can get away with just over 300, IMO.
The sound is important but more so is the set up. A $200-500 guitar can sound good if it is set up properly.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
1978 Ovation electric/accoustic
1972 Rickenbaucker 4001 Bass
Fender Bassman Head
Behringer BX4500H Head
Roland Micro Cube
Pevey Cabinet
Boss effect pedal
Tone is really prevalant too. The tone of a Fender will be much "richer" than that of a similar Squier. The tone of a BC Rich Bronze series is much "crappier" than that of the Platinum or NT guitars. and all those terms are in quotes because tone is based on personal taste. My advice, go to a guitar store every now and again, and play a bunch of guitars. play everything, and i promice you, you will hear the difference between a $200 guitar and a $2,000 guitar.
and I agree with forsaknazrael, only i'd say that the nice guitars can be found for $400, but either way, nice guitars start between $300 and $500, and once youre into the $1,000 relm you are into the "preamium" guitars (caugh caugh Gibson), once you get there, make sure you play them, because you are paying a lot for the name that's stamped on it.