Page 1 of 3
Not sure if this has been posted before, but I found it pretty interesting.

This month's Rolling Stone Magazine has a feature article on the 'new guitar gods' with John Mayer, John Frusciante and Derek Trucks on the cover. I wasn't too impressed by their '100 greatest guitar players' list a few years ago, but I think they've got it right with this one. IMO John Mayer, John Frusciante and Derek Trucks are among the greatest 'modern' guitar players so I'm pretty stoked they made the cover. But what does the pit think?
Guitars
"Dakota" - Fender Splatter Strat
"Jacqueline" - Maton CW80
Quote by jase_connor
Not sure if this has been posted before,

It has.

I have to disagree though. I think there are better players out there.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Petrucci, Romeo, Akerfeldt, and many others are much better.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Everyone loves John Frusciante. He can play, like, 3 notes and make it sound amazing. I hope that didn't offend anyone, but that's what he does!

He's hardly a 'new' guitar god, but he has been recognised recently.
Im sure there will be much disagreement over this, i'd say john frusciante and john mayer are both really good guitarists in different ways (and on an unrelated side note i'd totally do them both)
because i said so.
I'm so glad Derek made the list. Saw him live with the Allman Bros. (his band opened for them) and it was amazing.
Well it depends on how you define Guitar Gods. I'm sure there's people who can shred better than those three, but they're more like the new Clapton or Jimmy Paige. Very good "pocket" players who can still show off a little.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Frusciante is old......mayer ehh no

so far the only guitar gods I can think of that are fairly recent is lamb of gods guitarist and Herman li(even though he sounds like a slot machine) but there arent enough solos in rock/metal for me to tell. I would like metalcore more if they had more solos but they WANT people to not be impressed by them(e.g Killswitch engage)
it's dumb that they call John Mayer "Slowhand Jr."

Tom Verlaine & Richard Llyod could pwn his whiny ass anyday

Haha...John Mayer is shit. Aside from being a really good player, he brings absolutely nothing new to the genre, and is basically just taking up space.

And his entire early career was disgraceful.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Trucks is amazing, i think there are better players that could have made the list though.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by walkinbazooka

Ok, I've gotta be honest...I haven't even heard of Romeo or Akerfeldt so I'm in no position to judge, but as a blues/jazz lover I'm pretty happy to see some blues guitarists being called guitar gods...I think alot of 'guitar gods' these days are just people that can play really really fast, which does nothing for me. I mean, I consider Keith Richards to be one of the truly great guitar gods, and he can barely play in time (and even forgot the riff to Rough Justice when I saw the Stones). So yeah, there are certainly technically better/faster guitar players out there, but does that make them guitar gods?
Guitars
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Haha...John Mayer is shit. Aside from being a really good player, he brings absolutely nothing new to the genre, and is basically just taking up space.

exactly, the guy's good but he's using his powers for crappy pop music!! a man once told me "With Great Power, Comes Great Responsilbites" obviously little John Mayer never heard that before

What about Laiho? Just to name one of many great metal guitarists.
" What do I say to an Atheist who sneezes? "Uh, when you die nothing happens"?- Dane Cook
Quote by jase_connor
Ok, I've gotta be honest...I haven't even heard of Romeo or Akerfeldt so I'm in no position to judge, but as a blues/jazz lover I'm pretty happy to see some blues guitarists being called guitar gods...I think alot of 'guitar gods' these days are just people that can play really really fast, which does nothing for me. I mean, I consider Keith Richards to be one of the truly great guitar gods, and he can barely play in time (and even forgot the riff to Rough Justice when I saw the Stones). So yeah, there are certainly technically better/faster guitar players out there, but does that make them guitar gods?

I don't think so, it's really about artistry and good music. I don't think technical ability should be part of the criteria for judging a 'guitar god' but I certainly think that those who are technically profficient are more likely to make good music because they know the what's what about guitar. That's all.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Quote by jase_connor

lol

You honestly think that people call anyone besides blues/classic rock guitarists the guitar gods? Please. Every year, it's all the same.

Watch this, I can make the average list of any magazine right off the top of my head-

1. Jimmy Page
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Derek Trucks
4. B.B. King

Blah, blah, blah. Year after year, list after list after list, that's all we get. The same wankery over Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix and other guitarists in the same vein of music. "lol staiway!!!!lol Little WIng!!! LOL!

"lol shredzorrz has noo emotion!!! lol the only emmotion is sadness!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoxhaH6jTtQ

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean you can ignore the obvious emotion, talent, and time put into music like this.

EDIT -

I really want to magnify the idiocy that it takes to even think about saying that 'shred has no emotion'

Seriously. If you think this, just kill yourself. Please. You don't have to like the music, but if you truly, truly think that... Just kill yourself for the sake of natural selection.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
Last edited by Dirtydeeds468 at Feb 14, 2007,
Quote by walkinbazooka

+1
Akerfeldt and Petrucci are IMO two of the best guitarists out there right now.
Quote by The Postman
Usually emos, have like twiggy legs you can snap in your hands...
Has anyone ever seen an obese emo?

Quote by cool#9
Whose fault is it you are a skinny worthless wimp, be a fat emo, problem solved.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Better than a lot of other choices they could've made.

Very true.
Quote by Steel357
+1
Akerfeldt and Petrucci are IMO two of the best guitarists out there right now.

Also, very true
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by Nyukka
Best Guitarist Ever= Shred Durst

" What do I say to an Atheist who sneezes? "Uh, when you die nothing happens"?- Dane Cook
Quote by walkinbazooka
I don't think so, it's really about artistry and good music. I don't think technical ability should be part of the criteria for judging a 'guitar god' but I certainly think that those who are technically profficient are more likely to make good music because they know the what's what about guitar. That's all.

Yeah good point mate, I definitely agree with that. I for one have huge respect for guitarists like Petrucci and I think they make very good music, it just isn't my thing. Which leads me to this guy...

Quote by Dirtydeeds468

EDIT -

I really want to magnify the idiocy that it takes to even think about saying that 'shred has no emotion'

Seriously. If you think this, just kill yourself. Please. You don't have to like the music, but if you truly, truly think that... Just kill yourself for the sake of natural selection.

Mate, I don't think anyone here is claiming that 'shred has no emotion'. Although personally, the songs that I find are truly emotional are usually the ones with very 'slow' guitar parts, like Bob Dylan or Jeff Buckley songs for example, or even songs with no guitar parts at all. After all, emotion is a subjective thing, and I guess shred has more emotional appeal to you than it does to me, that's all I'm saying.
Guitars
Quote by Dirtydeeds468

You do realize that he has admitted that very same thing multiple times? He's stated that he only did "pop" stuff to make money and get his name out there so when he did make a blues album, which is what he wanted to do from the beginning, people would buy it and maybe help get more people interested in blues. He's said that he doesn't even like his old music.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You motorboatin son of a bitch.

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Member of the Church of Gilmour

Dance, Kirby, dance!
(>")> <("< <( " )> (>"< <("^) (^")> <("v) (v")> (v"v) (^"v) (v"^) (^"^)
Quote by Dirtydeeds468

dude no offense, but what the hell do you bring thats new to your genre?

what have you brought musically to anyone?

o ya, nothing yet.

anyways, Trucks is amazing. saw him in concert once and he was just nasty.

Frusciante has been one of my favorites since i started playing 10 years ago.
Quote by AdayTripper
I don't want to ****ing be known as the guy who **** himself while his whole family came over. It just happened.

Quote by SonOfOsiris
how far would you go with a boy/girl to be able to say to someone "Im am not a virgin!"

????
Quote by jase_connor
Yeah good point mate, I definitely agree with that. I for one have huge respect for guitarists like Petrucci and I think they make very good music, it just isn't my thing. Which leads me to this guy...

I agree.

I don't like to try to convert people but...(listen to it, it's slow like you like)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbIdxdZ_eJo
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by Doolittle
exactly, the guy's good but he's using his powers for crappy pop music!!

Go listen to the live album "Try!" by the John Mayer Trio. ****in ace.
ICE
CREAM
IS
GONNA
SAVE
THE
DAY
...AGAIN
Quote by Fruscianteac
dude no offense, but what the hell do you bring thats new to your genre?

what have you brought musically to anyone?

o ya, nothing yet.

Might as well just ask the same of yourself. Der. Make a note next time you critique someone else's music in one of your posts, I'll be looking for it.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
Quote by jase_connor

Mate, I don't think anyone here is claiming that 'shred has no emotion'. Although personally, the songs that I find are truly emotional are usually the ones with very 'slow' guitar parts, like Bob Dylan or Jeff Buckley songs for example, or even songs with no guitar parts at all. After all, emotion is a subjective thing, and I guess shred has more emotional appeal to you than it does to me, that's all I'm saying.

No, I don't really think that anyone in this thread was saying that...But here at UG, shred/music with any fast, technical instruments get an INSANE amount of shit from all the classic rock/blues/jazz elitists who usually say that 'shred has no emotion.'
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
just got the issue, i was actually rather impressed. they had matt pike from high on fire, adam jones from tool, tom morello, and ed o brian and johnny greenwood - radiohead on it. of course thay had jack white, he's okay, but certainly not a god, and they should never have included omar from the mars volta, he's so overated, and he SUCKS live.
My Rig:

Schecter C-1+
Washburn X12QVS
Ibanez RG7321
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic-Electric
Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Crate Practice Amp
Marshall G80CDR
Maxon OD808
Quote by LilVikingboy
You do realize that he has admitted that very same thing multiple times? He's stated that he only did "pop" stuff to make money and get his name out there so when he did make a blues album, which is what he wanted to do from the beginning, people would buy it and maybe help get more people interested in blues. He's said that he doesn't even like his old music.

Huh. Well, that's one way to do it. Pretty lame, but I guess it worked.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
I'd say Matt Heafy, Corey Beaulieu, Herman Li and Synyster Gates.....
THERE'S SOMETHING GOOD IN EVERY BAD THING....
Joe Bonamassa should be on the list
"They say rock n' roll is dead well not while I'm alive it ain't" - Liam Gallagher

"It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors." - Oscar Wilde

Quote by Dirtydeeds468
lol

You honestly think that people call anyone besides blues/classic rock guitarists the guitar gods? Please. Every year, it's all the same.

Watch this, I can make the average list of any magazine right off the top of my head-

1. Jimmy Page
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Derek Trucks
4. B.B. King

Blah, blah, blah. Year after year, list after list after list, that's all we get. The same wankery over Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix and other guitarists in the same vein of music. "lol staiway!!!!lol Little WIng!!! LOL!

"lol shredzorrz has noo emotion!!! lol the only emmotion is sadness!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoxhaH6jTtQ

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean you can ignore the obvious emotion, talent, and time put into music like this.

EDIT -

You said exactly the same things that I was going to post in this thread. Thanks for saving my trouble. Check this out too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NfZBvRvkIg
Page 1 of 3