i recently got a shure SM57 to mic my various numbers of amps in my studio

however, I am sorry to say that so far i am dissapointed in the legendary mic, but i think this is just because i'm using it wrong...i've tried every placement i can think of, straight on, top cone, bottom cone, 45 degree angle to the center and perpendicular to the center...but it still sounds like i'm miking the cab from across the room...can someone PLEASE tell me how to make this sound great?

and i just thought of something...maybe i'm not cranking my cab loud enough? darn i wish i try that now but i'm at school...if anyone can think of anything else, please tell me, thanks!!
Quote by Inahrima

Kirk: you know what would be hardcore?
James: what?
Kirk: metallica nail polish!
James:

Quote by grimreaper65

'Scuse me, i'm going to go listen to some black metal bands sing about black people. Then some grindcore about coffee.
you might not be cranking it loud enough. when putting a mic on an amp the mic needs to be drenched in sound. if you are putting the mic through a mixer and then to the computer you might have reverb set up on the mixer. i did that and it took me wto hours to figure out what was wrong!!
try to baffle the amp and mic. get the mic right up against the amp slightly angled against the cone. now place whatever you have... blankets, pillows, or anything you can think of to isolate that sound so it stays within the vacinity of the mic. you might even want to consider a 'baffle box.' basically, what i did, was got some 3/4' thick plywood and some 2x2's and made a box to fit around my bigger peavey combo. also, i stapled a bunch of old blankets to the inside of the box. a lot of bands use old Uhaul blankets. also, if you don't want to do that and you have an amp with an open back, you can try to mic the back of the amp with the amp's back pushed up against the wall. or if you have neighbors and can't put it against a wall, try to the back of a couch or anything to absorb that sound and stop it from traveling. you shouldn't really need to crank your amp either to get a good sound.

cliff notes: ISOLATE YOUR SOUND SO IT DOESN'T TRAVEL PAST YOUR MIC.
if i put the back against something, how do i mic the back?
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65

'Scuse me, i'm going to go listen to some black metal bands sing about black people. Then some grindcore about coffee.
if it's a close backed mic, it won't really work. if it's got a port to release air or any sort of other opening, you should leave enough room between the amp and whatever you put it against. this normally won't work with stacks or half stacks, usually just combos. or smaller combos.

another thing you could do is pust your amp into a corner. and set the mic in the corner between the amp and walls.

but first, what you might want to consider (i don't know how versed you are with home recording and the various volume options on your computer) is the idea i put in another thread. follow this link: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526758
however, I am sorry to say that so far i am dissapointed in the legendary mic,

No, I've got a feeling that mic is doing its job perfectly.

You are dissapointed by the sound you are shooting into the mic. That's your problem. Always remember: Mics don't lie!

While room acoustics is very important and the baffling is a great idea, I don't think that is your biggest problem. (Close micing a guitar amp is not near as senstive to room acoutics as say...micing a drum kit).

I think your biggest problem is your amp or how you have set the tone controls

Read this:
http://www.recordingreview.com/articles/articles/179/1/My-Current-Approach-To-Rock-and-Metal-Guitars/Recording-Distorted--Overdriven-Electric-Guitars.html

Brandon
When I was starting to record I found that how you equalize your amp has a huge effect on your recorded sound! Use some recomended presets if you have a booklet for your amps and see how that works.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

I'd recommend that you start out by trying to match a guitar tone on a cd for just a little while. I've got a feeling that you are using too much gain and probably have too much fizz as well.

Brandon
hmmm...well...i tried it with my amp a lot louder and it works better now, it sounds great and the mic sounds the same as the amp

to answer a question, i'm using a tascam us-122l usb interface

the problem with my amp being really loud, i can only record when my parents aren't home...
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65