I was learning from my theory book, and it says that modes were not entirely like conventional scales originally, and that they were a selection of note groups which could be combined to make a melody with a particular sound. The scales people talk about today were drawn from these.

However, it only gives examples of a few such patterns in the Dorian mode. So, as a question to the theory-people round here, do you consider modes purely as scales, or as a selection of little note groups which can be combined?
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Modes are scales.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I guess my best words to describe it are: I use modes to make the sounds more interesting, in any way possible.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
The very last paragraph here - http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/g_plainchant.html - talks about what I was describing. It seems like the little melodic patterns came first, and that the scales were drawn from those. So I thought learning about some of those patterns would give me a deeper understanding. From the looks of it though this would mean studying lots of plainsong and old folk songs, which might be tricky. The melody of the english folk song "The Royal Oak" is given in my book as an example of patterns within a Dorian melody.
Quote by VR2005

I know they're a group of scales now, but I'm interested in the melodic groups from which they are apparently derived. See my last post for a link to what I'm talking about.

And to anyone who's studied music at university/college, do they teach you about these at degree level? Because if they don't then they're probably not worth me worrying about.
Quote by VR2005

Last edited by marmoseti at Feb 15, 2007,