Assuming you're my age or there abouts (15), and you live in Britain, I want to ask, how many of you have decent paying jobs?

So far I've found it incredibly difficult finding a part-time job that is worth while, mostly because of my age. So with the collective knowledge of the pit (no, seriously, I mean it ), can any of you tell me what would be a decent paying job for someone my age?
Funny words.
I ain't your age (I'm 20) but I always thought it was easy to get a job stacking shelves at a supermarket. Sure it's a crap job, but it's your own money! Oh, and from voices of experience I've heard....STAY AWAY FROM MCDONALDS FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING!! It's apparantly not very good.
Same age, same problem. I had a part time job over the summer for a while last year, but I was only working there as the person who usually works there was away for a few weeks.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Sainsburys will give you around £4.12 an hour
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
Quote by 7DaySkeptic
STAY AWAY FROM MCDONALDS FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING!! It's apparantly not very good.

Yeah that's a given really, once you start flipping burgers at Macdonalds it's a slippery slope then onwards.
Funny words.
You're too young to do 'proper' work.

I suggest a paper round.

If not, wait until you're 16 then apply to Asda, Tesco, Somerfield (you get the idea). B&Q I hear are good employers, too.
Terms and Conditions apply.
Quote by cagnius

I suggest a paper round.

If not, wait until you're 16 then apply to Asda, Tesco, Somerfield (you get the idea). B&Q I hear are good employers, too.

Oooh there's a Do It All in my local town, and I suppose I would enjoy that the most out of all the shops around (such as the supermarkets). I'm not 16 till may, so I shall have a look then.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
i do sticking up at skittles

basically, all i have to do for 2 hours is put the pins back up, and i get £12

but yeh, as the others are saying, wait till you are 16, and then you can apply to supermarkets and argos, are apparently, very good
Quote by No_Fat_Chicks
You will not get a good paying job at 15. It will be minimum wage whereever you go.

Can even be less i think, because minors don't fall under the minium wage law, so we can be charged obscenely low wages.

And I realise that at my age I'm hardly going to be earning phenomenal wages, I'm just trying to earn enough money to save up for a new guitar but preferably I won't have to wait until I'm in college before I can afford it.
Funny words.
Quote by cagnius

I suggest a paper round.

If you do decide on a paper round, try to get it under your mother or father's name. My friend did that and got about twice as much for about a quarter of the work I did. Bloody ageism.

I suggest being an inventor or entrepreneur though.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Can even be less i think, because minors don't fall under the minium wage law, so we can be charged obscenely low wages.

And I realise that at my age I'm hardly going to be earning phenomenal wages, I'm just trying to earn enough money to save up for a new guitar but preferably I won't have to wait until I'm in college before I can afford it.

Im american, sorry. But you wont make much.
I'm 19, in debt, seriously in need of money to live on and get some new equipment and can't find work.

In short, i am completely ****ed.
I tried a starting a business in yr 10 - I think that's 15.

It can be done - just organisation and timing.

Though it'll take a lot of time up, and you really should be studying.

Wait till you're 16 for a normal job.

Hemant
You wont get a eecnt paying job till your 16, even then its not even minimum wage... the £5.05 minimum wage doesnt kick in till your 21 (unless modernstudies lied... or i just wasnt listening)... anyway, you wont get employed in a proper establishment till your 16 anyway for insurance purposes...
Land of my high endeavor,
Land of the shining river,
Land of my heart forever,
Scotland the brave
Quote by hemantmaan

Hemant

What did you do, and how successful was it?
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/

There are three levels of minimum wage, and the rates from 1st October 2006 are:

* £5.35 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older
* A development rate of £4.45 per hour for workers aged 18-21 inclusive
* £3.30 per hour for all workers under the age of 18, who are no longer of compulsory school age.

I'd go for a retail job of some sort. Paper rounds just aren't worth the effort (Not if you get £5 for six days including saturday....that was a short job)
Quote by hemantmaan

Hemant

Yeah I'm in year 10....What was your business? Sounds quite interesting.
Funny words.
Quote by Robbie n strat
What did you do, and how successful was it?

Well I tried to open a web design company with my mate at school.

It went quite well.

The audience that we aimed at was perfect for it.

Basically it was a basic website for counterstrike clans with personalised graphics etc (not a template), all put together. Then we would charge extra for flash elements (again not templates), then extras for scripting, secure logins etc etc.

We struck up a deal with this web hosting company where we would give referals in exchange for free top package hosting. We hired a person to do some advertising for us on different places eg IRC, in game, and various other places.

The only problem was by the time it started getting good, we had to close it for the start of our A levels. We couldn't afford to give up so much time when education was the most important thing.

An example of a site I did recently (last 3 months or so) = http://www.justmarried-photography.co.uk/

Hemant
I got a job this year, I'm 15, I work in the local hotel either cleaning rooms or doing the dishes in the restaurant. It's ok, I get £3.85.

People say that most jobs aren't advertised, so I'd just write to all the employers in the area asking for a job. I can assure you, there are lots of people who are happy to employ teenagers for less than minimum wage.
McDonalds man...MCDONALDS! I GET MOTHERF*CKING £3.80 AN HOUR....And for what? Slave Labour!!
I couldn't get a job when I was 15.

Waited until I was 16, and Tesco gave me one (at fantastic pay I might add)
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by 7DaySkeptic
Wow, that's professional. You're going to continue at a later date right?

Thanks

Well I'm now going to be studying Chemical Engineering at Imperial (hopefully) from next year, so not really

Maybe if ever I find myself unemployed, then I'll take it up again but for the time being nah.

EDIT: To Iron man - believe me, unless you're extremely organised it'll be far too much to handle. I mean REALLY organised with shit. Especially when you have a 10 page site to make within 2 weeks along with school and homework and shit - not easy.

It is a lot easier and worthwhile (money wise) to just get a normal job.
Last edited by hemantmaan at Feb 14, 2007,
Yeah I've been looking for a job ever since I turned 16 (last october), but I still can't find anything
im 16 and school, i work on saturdays from 8-3 nd get £20 is this a reasonable wage, or should i go on strike demanding higher wages ?
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
Last edited by permanentmarker at Feb 14, 2007,
Quote by Xeus
following on my previous post

how about busking?!

I was actually thinking about that, but I think you have to be 18+ for a busking license, plus busking is incredibly hit and miss as far as money goes.

EDIT: To hemantmaan: I couldn't make a website that good no matter how much time I had on my hands, so yeah, starting my own business/website won't be what I'm planning to do.
Funny words.
Last edited by I_Am_Iron_Man at Feb 14, 2007,
I'm 15 and I joined a kayaking club when I was 9 and now they have started paying me to teach so I am quite lucky. For three hours on a saturday I get payed £24 an hour.
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
the best paying job for someone your age would be something like working in a chippy or potwashing somewhere im not sure. its hard to find work your 15 ... sucks ass
Im in America, and only 15 years old, but am beginning to andvertise for computer aid at an amature level. You would be surprised how many people have computer problems and would be willing to pay you for help. I suggest putting up ads around your town, you'll probably get phone calls within no time.

This is of course if you have basic knowledge of computers and the like. You just need to work out your basic rates, I suggest contacting your local buisness or some sort of chain to fing their rates. Make sure to charge less, you're only 15.

Thanks, youve inspired me to actually follow through myself.

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.