For a school science project...

When you reduce Lead Oxide with an organic reducing agent (In this case Charcoal) you have to heat it, yes? Does that make this an Endothermic or Exothermic reaction? Sorry for the bizarre question, but this work is due in tomorrow, and I need ALL the marks I can get.

My teacher hates me already Cheers
I'd say endothermic, as exothermic means it gives off heat when it reacts.
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
Ah yes, I just had to hear it from someone else first. Come to think of it, I remember doing that stuff. Thanks a lot.
endothermic as heat is needed for the reaction

wee tip:
if heats taken iN its eNdothermic
if heats given out..ie...eXits its eXothermic
@-}-}-}-
could you give us the whole reaction, please? are you certain you have to heat it?

etc.

just, heating normally means endothermic as MM says, but if the activation energy is high (ish), the overall reaction could still be exothermic, even if you have to heat it. But that's getting into thermodynamics versus kinetics...

also, what level is this for? GCSE? A-Level?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
In honour of the recent censorship issue, I will be answering to the best of my potential.

Buttsecks?
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
^ i wouldn't go as far as almost definitely. I'm guessing that at the level he's at (school), that they wouldn't have given him a reaction that needed to be heated, but which is still exothermic. But it's best to check.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Displacement reactions which this is as carbon from charcoal is displacing the lead, are endothermic I think.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
PbO+C---->Pb+CO

Ok this is just me using my stupid sleepy brain but since the ioniztion energy of oxygen is
800 or more and carbon is also i dont know around there or more and the bond energy release between C and O is like 154 per bond or something there i dont have exact figures and the fact that ur supplying heat should make it definetely endothermic....

Dont you think ???
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
GCSE, as it happens. Once again, thanks a lot for the help. It was the point Dave_MC made which made me uncertain about it being exo/endo, but as it happens the activation energy was relatively low, and only a low but continuous temperature was needed. So I'm pretty sure it's Endothermic after all of that. Once again, thanks a lot.
^ glad you got it sorted out, it does sound endothermic then (sorry for the bump, I've been away for a week). I thought they wouldn't give you something that complicated at GCSE level, but I just wanted to be sure.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?