Hello to anyone reading this,

I was thinking that for my first bass project I would build a 5 string "King V" style bass, in black of course. But anyway, I have a small problem. For the bridge, I was thinking of a black Kahler bass tremolo, but I don't know which one to look for because of this problem http://www.kahlerparts.com/Other_Pages/Q_5_String_Bass.htm
Can anyone help me? also, I have some more questions. Which body wood would be good for metal, and if I wanted to make it a Neck Thru style bass, how would I go about doing so? I've looked everywhere, and I don't think you can buy a bass neck meant for a neck-thru set up. If this requires me to make my own neck/fretboard, this may get very ugly. If that is the only way to do it, can anyone direct me to somewhere where I can find out how to build my own neck-thru style neck? Thanks! I've never built a guitar or bass in my life, and i want this one to totally kick my schecter's ass.

Steve
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Hey, first and foremost, congrats on wantin to make your own bass.

With a neck through you have a lot of options to consider. I remember seeing one a website once but when i recntly checked it has been withdrawn. so basically you can have some real fun now (well i would say fun), you can go for a standard 'one' piece nec, whereas you want to find a nice narrow block of whatever wood you choose, (i recall it being easy to find in maple). Or you can be really posh and try for a multilam neck, get different woods, glue em together and make 'pretty' patterns with wood alone, looks very nice.
There will be more work involved that buying the bits and that, but you can get a really nice bass from it. The only thing i would advise is that you either have good woodworking skills, or you know someone who has who will help you. If you want ne more help on anythin, i aint an expert, but i know what things you shoudl avoid, as i used a bad method of making my first bass, second time round was much better.
Thanks! For a body wood I was thinking of Mahogany, and for a fingerboard, Ebony. The thing is, i would like the fingerboard to be about jet black. I red somewhere that the darkest mahogany is found in Madagascar, and it's now almost impossible to get, so are there any other solutions for making my fingerboard black? I also have no clue what i'm doing when it comes to inlay and fretting work, and I think making my own neck will be the toughest part. I have no idea what to do when it comes to the truss rod either, that is so confusing. My dad is great at working with wood, and I'd love to learn from him. We have the basic woodworking tools, a table saw, miter saw, planer, router, numerous hand tools like chizzels, etc. Would someone be able to give me help on building a neck-through neck?
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

You, sir, are my hero. That just saved me so much time, effort, money, and frustration! Edit: It's also nice because I was thinking of making a custom headstock, and I can get a paddle-style headstock meant to be customized! I was opting towards a Beast headstock shape by BC Rich. I love them. If anyone else wants to, I still have some unanswered questions above. Thanks for the help everyone!
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Last edited by Your41Plague12 at Feb 14, 2007,
You can just dye the ebony fretboard to make it a more solid black. I think the lighter strips through it look hot.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
BC Rich style headstocks don't look right with an odd number of tuners. The Widow headstock (I'm 90% sure that that is the correct name) looks aweful on V shaped guitars.

The precut headstock on the Carvin neck would compliment the V body very well.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Thanks for the input, I'm still not sure on which way to go. I'm definitely going to use that neck, as I find Carvin to be a very reputable company. I have to admit though, a headstock like this would look amazing on a V. The way things are looking though, it'll be a while before it's started, because I'm broke. Just gathering ideas. EDIT: Also, maybe since the BC Rich headstock wouldn't look so well with an odd number of tuners, would anyone advise a 6 string V? Or would the neck look too large for the body?
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Last edited by Your41Plague12 at Feb 15, 2007,
one problem i forsee is that the body may have to be massive, cuz the bridge is going to have to go very deep into the body, ( i mean from where the neck joins the guitar to the bridge.

but other then that, kudos, amazing idea
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by seek_&_destroy
one problem i forsee is that the body may have to be massive, cuz the bridge is going to have to go very deep into the body, ( i mean from where the neck joins the guitar to the bridge.

but other then that, kudos, amazing idea

Sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean. Do you mean that the body will have to be thick because of how the bridge will have to be screwed in, or am I missing something?
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

The body will have to get wider, due to the extra strings.

You already have a 5 string bass, why not go with a 4 string?

EDIT: I still like the Carvin headstock. You could also go with an in-line headstock, like on the old BC Riches.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Last edited by Will_Minus at Feb 15, 2007,
I actually sent BC rich a quote to see how much it would cost to make me a bass with the specs I wanted (black V 5 string with EMG's, neck through construction, beast headstock etc) and they told me $3,850. Ridiculous price, but that bass would be insane. I heard their custom builds are about perfect in every way. Anyway, I may just be able to make the wings a little thinner and use lots of the neck for the body. That might be a possible solution to the "massive body" problem.

EDIT: check out this one for an example, the body got a little wider but it's still pretty close to a King V size, just with a massive neck. http://www.conklinguitars.com/facebass/7gallery/7v.html
Since it would be a neck through though, I would have to use more of the neck as the actual body, with less of the wings (but I could still keep the body in the right proportion). Questions, suggestions, comments, ideas, death threats?
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Last edited by Your41Plague12 at Feb 15, 2007,
You can make it anysize you want, provided you have enough wood. I think a big body would scream awesome, but a smallere body would be more metal.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

I would like to keep it a regular size King V body, but with a 5 string bass sized neck. maybe the body could get a little bigger, but not a whole lot. I'd like to keep it somewhat to scale. Also, when I join the body and the neck, would I need a "top" on the body, or could I just use the wings themselves and paint them?
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

You could do a top, but that's rather complex. I'd just leave it with the wings as is, and paint it.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Ok, thanks. I didn't know if it was possible to paint bare mahogany or not. I'm really clueless on the whole painting subject too, and also the routing. My dad can help me with it, but I dont know what I should rout out, and for what purposes, etc. Basically this is a really cool idea that may be hindered by a lack of skill, and i'm trying to make that as un-true as i can.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Check the sticky at the top of the forum for any finishing related questions.

Before you start routing, you need to know what set up you'll want. Pickups, switches, pots, etc.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Ok, i know the pickups. I want some active EMG 5 string pickups, i forget the exact model name. For the switch, i'd love to install an active/passive switch but I have no idea how, a 3 band EQ, 18 volt circuit, and idk what pots are. I'm really lost.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by Will_Minus
You could do a top, but that's rather complex.

Not really.

Quote by Your41Plague12
Ok, thanks. I didn't know if it was possible to paint bare mahogany or not. I'm really clueless on the whole painting subject too, and also the routing. My dad can help me with it, but I dont know what I should rout out, and for what purposes, etc. Basically this is a really cool idea that may be hindered by a lack of skill, and i'm trying to make that as un-true as i can.

You can paint mahongany. It is a good idea to use some grain filler or sanding sealer. Check out rereanch.com for info on finishing.

As for routing check out somewoodworking sites. With most routing on guitars templates are you friend.

Getting the book "make your own electric guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock would be a good idea. exelent book and should answer most question you will have with building.
Dave, is it any more difficult with a premade neck thru neck?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Sorry must of missed the part with the premade neck. It still wouldn't be that much more difficult. From the look of the carvin neck you might have to modify the neck slightly to add a top and get the correct angle.
I think i'd just leave it without a top, it's going to be painted black anyway, so you wouldnt get to see the top very well.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

You could do a plain maple top ontop of the mahogany wings, and then stain the whole guitar black. Seck-say.

But black is always a good colour for Vs.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Ok, now does anyone know where I could figure out how I should rout it? Like are there any diagrams or anything I would be able to use? If it helps I would be installing EMG-40DC pickups ( http://emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Bass&categoryid=28&catalogid=120 ). Also, can anyone tell me what I would need (electronics wise) what I would need other than what comes with the pickups? I would like to have a 3 band EQ and an active/passive switch, but I have no clue how to do it.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

i dont know what a king V body is but if your planning on building a Flying Vstyle bass...I did about 30 some odd years ago...i tracedmy guitar players Gibson V onto a pc of wood. had a pbass copy body. cut the top and bottom off of the pbody so that it looked like a steinberg (just a rectangle) layed this body over the tracing of the V..ctr it, traced the cut pbody onto the paper. this gave me a tracing of the wings. which was the outside trace of the flying v and the trace of the cut pbody. wood was cut to match these " then glued to the cut pbody. it looked great and matched the size of its 6 string version..but the thing was insanely long...picture a pbase without out the fronthorns but with 6-8 inches of wings out the back...looking back i just chuckle
Now which EQ would be better for metal, the B-30 or B-64?
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Nice find, now I'm guessing (from the reading) that there's bass and treble on one pot, and mids and volume on the other? Or are the high and low mids, like a 4 band EQ? Also a question for the neck, would I use wood biscuits for strength when gluing the wings to the neck, or do I just glue the pieces together? Help would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help Will!
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist