I'm thinking about making custom strap locks. I'm going to drill a hole in a fifty cent piece. Would the factory screws that's in there be long enough to still be firmly in the body without messing anything up?
why not just go rob a bank u sicko! 911!
Warrior Generation X Double Cutaway - EMG 85's
Schecter C1 Classic - ZW EMG's
Fender Strat - DG20 EMG's
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric
Metal Zone
Roland Cube 60
BIG STUBBIES!
etc.
yeah, it would work, and it is illegal.

but if you really need to, go get some 1 1/4" wood screws, they'll hold anything.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Just buy the $1.50 dunlop plastic disks...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by hendrixrocks4
thats illegal...your not allowed to drill holes in money
That only applies in the United Kingdom. You're not allowed to deface anything with the Queen's head on it.
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...
Quote by YourLastAffront
That only applies in the United Kingdom. You're not allowed to deface anything with the Queen's head on it.

no, it's true in the US too. most countries, really.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Since it is supposdely illegal to use the 50 cent piece, why don't you get some hard aluminium, or light steel, and cut to your own size.
Quote by YourLastAffront

ok I was going to ask why? Because I have a 1936 mojo pick and when I bought it they didn't say anything about it being illegal.
all the more reason to do it seriosly are you going to get arrested for drilling a hole in a 50 cent piece
Quote by 420 FREAK
seriosly are you going to get arrested for drilling a hole in a 50 cent piece

It's doubtful but possible. I have a teisco del rey EP-8T from the sixty's I thought it would look cool
Last edited by YouWantToKillME at Feb 14, 2007,
Quote by ShadowSpectrum
What you can do is go to the hardware store and buy two washers for like a few cents.

Just what I was going to post. Ive done it and it does work.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
Quote by AdamDK
Since it is supposdely illegal to use the 50 cent piece, why don't you get some hard aluminium, or light steel, and cut to your own size.

It's not illegal to beat up on money.

It's illegal to alter to shape, size, and structure of a piece of currency in order to make it seem like another piece of currency.

In essence...

Drilling a hole in a 50 cent piece = not illegal
Grinding pennies down so that you can use them as dimes in vending machines = illegal
Just get some washers. Cheaper and easier. And they work fine. I find it annoying to not be able to take my strap off though sometimes. I have Schallers on my Squier and Epi and the washer type on my other 2.
I used the rubber rings from the bottles of Grolsch with the fliptops. They work really well, just take them off the bottle and put them over the screw and strap and hey presto cheap straplocks!
Quote by TobyFellrunners
I used the rubber rings from the bottles of Grolsch with the fliptops. They work really well, just take them off the bottle and put them over the screw and strap and hey presto cheap straplocks!

I know a friend who did the same thing and said it worked really well aswell.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
^ Yup, it's THE ghetto straplock solution.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by tubab0y
yeah, it would work, and it is illegal.

but if you really need to, go get some 1 1/4" wood screws, they'll hold anything.

Would I have to drill the screw pocket a little deeper?

Quote by TobyFellrunners

Sorry if I sound stupid but I guess that's what happens when you are. But what's Grolsch?

Thanks
^ Grolsch is a Dutch Lager. They have the distinctive flip top lids on them.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by StaggHound
It's not illegal to beat up on money.

It's illegal to alter to shape, size, and structure of a piece of currency in order to make it seem like another piece of currency.

In essence...

Drilling a hole in a 50 cent piece = not illegal
Grinding pennies down so that you can use them as dimes in vending machines = illegal

Well then, the threadstarter might as well use 50p pieces.